What's So Funny?

OliverKlozerof

I've been in LOS many years now but my Thai is still pretty basic. I can get around and say most of the things I want to, but I can rarely catch natural spoken Thai (especially since I think a lot of what you hear on the street is in the Isaan dialect).
As we all know, Thais love to have fun and laugh. For example, some poor Thai families live next to my apartment building. Over the recent New Years holiday they put some tables together outside and had a little party. One day I heard pretty much nonstop laughter there. One person would say something. Big laughter. Someone else would say or do something. Big laughter. Of course you hear this sort of thing all over the place.
I've always wondered, 'What's so funny?' I mean, what sorts of things do common Thais laugh or joke about? I'm pretty sure most of it is stuff that, in English, would not be considered that funny. But can any of you who are more fluent give me an idea of the types of things that Thais think are so funny? Thx.

100%.......lived in my wife's family home for about 4 months.......up to 20 people on a night eating????......and they never stop laughing all day, all night.

They haven't got two pennies to rub together, but seem to be the happiest people on earth.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

100%.......lived in my wife's family home for about 4 months.......up to 20 people on a night eating????......and they never stop laughing all day, all night.

They haven't got two pennies to rub together, but seem to be the happiest people on earth.

their are not, they just like to gossip about everything and everyone.  I have never met a more gossipy lot than the Thais. They lie and brag to each other  a good deal too.  But if it keeps them happy then fair enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I've been in LOS many years now but my Thai is still pretty basic. I can get around and say most of the things I want to, but I can rarely catch natural spoken Thai (especially since I think a lot of what you hear on the street is in the Isaan dialect).
As we all know, Thais love to have fun and laugh. For example, some poor Thai families live next to my apartment building. Over the recent New Years holiday they put some tables together outside and had a little party. One day I heard pretty much nonstop laughter there. One person would say something. Big laughter. Someone else would say or do something. Big laughter. Of course you hear this sort of thing all over the place.
I've always wondered, 'What's so funny?' I mean, what sorts of things do common Thais laugh or joke about? I'm pretty sure most of it is stuff that, in English, would not be considered that funny. But can any of you who are more fluent give me an idea of the types of things that Thais think are so funny? Thx.

often it seems to be laughing at the misfortune of others.   Common themes are ; Mrs L and her daughter are hookers in Pattaya.  Mrs T's daughter is married to a rich farang ( she's not, but it sounds good).  Then its who is sleeping with who, who is on drugs, who is a drunk.  Gossip gossip gossip. No different to any other closed and largely uneducated society.  They have got nothing else to talk about because they don't know about anything else . 

• Like 2

Thais like plays on words, and they have plenty  to choose from. One has to be careful when and where one uses the terms nong chai and nong sow, for example. They mean little brother and little sister, but also refer to male and female genitalia. Phai lom ( farting ) is also a great source of amusement to Thais.

Attire can also get them going. I remember putting on an old pair of budgie smugglers I brought over from Australia. and my Thai GF was nearly hysterical with laughter for 20 minutes. She'd stop, look at me, and it would set her off again.

• Thanks 1

A bit of effort I guess, but could you give me an example of a few of the funny exchanges? Best would be if you could write in Thai + transliterated and English. For example:
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side. (Ha ha.)
(care of google translate, which I'm not sure is correct...)
ทำไมไก่ถึงข้ามถนน? เพื่อไปยังอีกด้านหนึ่ง
Thamai gai thung kaam thanon? Peua bpai yang iik daan neung. 555

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, Pilotman said:

often it seems to be laughing at the misfortune of others.   Common themes are ; Mrs L and her daughter are hookers in Pattaya.  Mrs T's daughter is married to a rich farang ( she's not, but it sounds good).  Then its who is sleeping with who, who is on drugs, who is a drunk.  Gossip gossip gossip. No different to any other closed and largely uneducated society.  They have got nothing else to talk about because they don't know about anything else . 

My Thai wife just confirmed this is all true ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1