Thai Education Ministry details school fees are to be refunded by private schools

webfact

Education ministry details school fees are to be refunded by private schools

junior-high-students-Bangkok-July-2021.jpg

A student uses hand sanitiser as she arrives at a secondary school in Bangkok on July 1, 2020, as schools reopened after being temporarily closed due to the threat of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus. – Pupils in Thailand returned to school on July 1, though with strict rules to prevent fresh coronavirus outbreaks, as the kingdom pushed towards normality with the pandemic raging on beyond its borders. (Photo by Romeo GACAD / AFP)

Private schools, which provide online learning during the lockdown, must refund certain fees and charges to parents, either in cash or by credit note, said the Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC), which is under the Education Ministry.

Schools not receiving government subsidies, such as international schools, must refund tuition fees. The schools can, however, charge administration and manage fees, for which OPEC has not set a limit.

Schools receiving government subsidies must calculate their expense per student, set by the government, and subtract the government subsidy. The balance can be charged to the parents. The schools must, however, refund expenses not incurred during the period of online learning, which can include transportation, meal and snack etc.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/education-ministry-details-school-fees-are-to-be-refunded-by-private-schools/

Logo-top-.png

• Haha 1

There’s always a catch and a get out clause in everything that they do and announce here. Our sons school charges extra for such things as electric for air condition, it’s pretty certain that our sons school (bi lingual private school) won’t be giving anything back!!

• Like 1

My sons' school have said that they would extend the school year

He has been "learning" on line for the last month or so.

I really don't understand why MOED cannot make a decision on the value of 

educating high/ average/normal fee paying students "on line", compared to face to face education.

I mean is it evaluated as being equal or not? And if not is a certificate the same value?

The MOED are the governing body, so while this pandemic has caused severe

disruption to this academic year can it really be judged to be the same as previous years?

• Like 1

I'm not even going to try to understand this nor am I going to try to get a refund. The time it'd take to get anything would cost me more in lost earnings than I'd actually be entitled to.