Jump to content

New driving licences


Badrabbit

Recommended Posts

My gf(Thai) and I both did the training then went to transport office to get new licences, she got hers within 15 mins but I was given an appointment to come back in a months time, office was fairly busy but not busy enough to warrant coming back in 1 month, it's not a problem as my licences run out in March, wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you were too early if your licence had not actually expired yet, best to wait until it expires (you then have one year to renew it) so you can get close to 6 years as it runs to your next birthday. Maybe they were just guiding you in that direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Perhaps you were too early if your licence had not actually expired yet, best to wait until it expires (you then have one year to renew it) so you can get close to 6 years as it runs to your next birthday. Maybe they were just guiding you in that direction.

Yes that makes sense, I'll go in Feb on the appointment given. Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

My gf(Thai) and I both did the training then went to transport office to get new licences, she got hers within 15 mins but I was given an appointment to come back in a months time, office was fairly busy but not busy enough to warrant coming back in 1 month, it's not a problem as my licences run out in March, wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? 

I got 5 weeks and my DL will expire far before that appointment.

As i understand and saw all foreigners got appointment and this appointment slips are printed already and not individually terminated.

New normal at TO.🤬

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

My gf(Thai) and I both did the training then went to transport office to get new licences, she got hers within 15 mins but I was given an appointment to come back in a months time, office was fairly busy but not busy enough to warrant coming back in 1 month, it's not a problem as my licences run out in March, wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? 

 

Just curious to get the appointment for 1 months time did you need the Certificate of Residence or you need than in the 1 months time ?

(Cos it lasts one month I believe)...

Link to post
Share on other sites

My driver's license expired in August 2020.  I walked-in to the DLT at Phra Khanong and was given an appointment slip for November 11th: apparently a COVID social distancing measure.  When I asked what I should tell the police if I was stopped in the meantime, I was told not to worry, lots of people driving on expired licenses these days.  I noted that all applicants (Thai and foreign) were being given appointments, but the appointments for foreigners were three months out while those for Thais were one month out.

 

November 11th came and it was pretty much the standard drill: forms, photocopies, video, photo, payment.  They did, however, change my driver's license number for the first time in 20 years.  No idea why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

 

 

November 11th came and it was pretty much the standard drill: forms, photocopies, video, photo, payment.  They did, however, change my driver's license number for the first time in 20 years.  No idea why.

If you used your passport as ID then after 20 years it would be a different one, with a different number presumably. Or perhaps you used a passport before but now have a pink card ? Either way they would have changed the number on your DL to match your ID.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried in Phuket to renew 5 year licence.

I was told to check back in April. Covid restrictions. Police are ok with expired licences as far as I can see but when checking in for a domestic flight they raised the issue. I had my passport as back up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MikeN said:

If you used your passport as ID then after 20 years it would be a different one, with a different number presumably. Or perhaps you used a passport before but now have a pink card ? Either way they would have changed the number on your DL to match your ID.

 

My national ID number (from blue book) is also on the card and has been for 15 years, but for some reason they decided to change the 8-digit driver's license number.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

for PHUKET:
by training, you mean went to view the video?

where?  did u need make an apt or just show up?
thanks

I went to my local driving school shop, he did everything for me, no need to go view video etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

 

Just curious to get the appointment for 1 months time did you need the Certificate of Residence or you need than in the 1 months time ?

(Cos it lasts one month I believe)...

Needed 2 licences car and bike, 1 cor plus photocopy, all paperwork checked by transport and given appointment in Feb to get new licences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bosun said:

I tried in Phuket to renew 5 year licence.

I was told to check back in April. Covid restrictions. Police are ok with expired licences as far as I can see but when checking in for a domestic flight they raised the issue. I had my passport as back up. 

If you are getting your 1st ever licence you are told "come back in April" if renewing you can but must watch video etc somewhere other than transport office as training office etc is closed, once watched you can return to transport with paperwork to get appointment to get new licence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

They still showing the same video, only in Thai? What a waste of time!

Why would they need to change the video when everyone is either asleep or watching YouTube on their phone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, rwill said:

It might be because DLT stopped doing testing this month because of Covid-19. 

 

Yes you have to do training elsewhere then return to TO too get appointment in order to renew licence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KamnanT said:

My driver's license expired in August 2020.  I walked-in to the DLT at Phra Khanong and was given an appointment slip for November 11th: apparently a COVID social distancing measure.  When I asked what I should tell the police if I was stopped in the meantime, I was told not to worry, lots of people driving on expired licenses these days.  I noted that all applicants (Thai and foreign) were being given appointments, but the appointments for foreigners were three months out while those for Thais were one month out.

 

November 11th came and it was pretty much the standard drill: forms, photocopies, video, photo, payment.  They did, however, change my driver's license number for the first time in 20 years.  No idea why.

We're you renewing a 2yr or 5yr licence?

Which tests did you have to do - I'm particularly interested in which colourblindness test(s)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

If you are getting your 1st ever licence you are told "come back in April" ...

As your home-country's driving-license is not valid in Thailand, you would then either need to engage someone to drive you or take the risk of driving your motorbike or car uninsured.

Amazing Thailand...

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I went to my local driving school shop, he did everything for me, no need to go view video etc 

ok, please tell us where>>> and what ya paid and what ya had to do?

people would love detailed info 

 

I'd love to see;

I got my 5 year renewal for phuket>

My license was, was not yet expired
I had to go to...  ( name and address, tel #) 1st and do......

I had to Pay...

it took..... minutes/hours

i than went an to the land transport office and had to......

I did/did not need a medical 
I paid xxx baht for the cor

Gave me an appointment for   xxx days.. later

went back and had to do the color test and brake test

and than got my license

 

THANKS

 

and than pin this with the date

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

ok, please tell us where>>> and what ya paid and what ya had to do?

people would love detailed info 

 

Any driving school shop can do the paperwork for you, obviously you need cor if not have work permit, my Thai gf did the talking, I went for a Coffee and came back when she called me, it was all sorted, had to go back a few days later to get the paperwork in order to get new licences, if you go to the University to watch the Video its 200bht per licence as stated by transport office.

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

ok, please tell us where>>> and what ya paid and what ya had to do?

people would love detailed info 

 

I'd love to see;

I got my 5 year renewal for phuket>

My license was, was not yet expired
I had to go to...  ( name and address, tel #) 1st and do......

I had to Pay...

it took..... minutes/hours

i than went an to the land transport office and had to......

I did/did not need a medical 
I paid xxx baht for the cor

Gave me an appointment for   xxx days.. later

went back and had to do the color test and brake test

and than got my license

 

THANKS

 

and than pin this with the date

 

Cor is free, to complete training is 200bht per licence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Can u share the driving school info please ....

Transport office said "go to University to do training or any driving school shop" this is in Phuket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A number of posts removed.

 

This is the Phuket forum, therefore reasonable to assume that content here is predominantly about Phuket. Therefore not needed to put Phuket in the title.

 

Posts discussing motoring legalities etc have been removed, if you wish to discuss/ debate that, please use the Motoring discussion forum.

 

Thailand is notorious for inconsistency, so please, lets keep this topic and information here relevent to Phuket in this forum.

 

Thanks

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...