Boost wifi signal/speed

Inderpland

I have a 3BB internet package (750 per month) and the router is in the bedroom while the TV is (surprise, surprise) in the living room. What I frequently do is connect my laptop to my TV and via wifi play content on my TV. However, the degradation of the 5 GHz signal is substantial (abt 40% left where the laptop is placed) and I assume I would get a better picture with les buffering if the signal was stronger.

I've been looking at possible options but would like to ask the community about your experiences regarding this issue. Shpuld I get an antenna tha plugs into the router to increase signal strenght output, is there a way to boost the capability of the laptop to receive the signal?

Also, this ad looks too good to be true so it probably is but has anyone heard of/tried this product?

https://get-wifi-x.com/home/THEN/x-81/?ci=12196859508&ai=114417918702&de=c&dm=&cr=495004803778&ts=ytv&kw=&ac=118-376-8843&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j7hsRsGqhmEvSvJJ0HDnohCjwkWDicLaP7pWurE7aPRry2sGR4KyUxoCmSYQAvD_BwE

10 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Also, this ad looks too good to be true so it probably is but has anyone heard of/tried this product?

Misleading description and blown up barking for a simple WiFi repeater.

A not so nice word for that is "p.i.s.s t.a.k,e".
I had such in the past (~1000 Baht) and it worked OK.

Virtually it's like having moved your router to another place.

There is no magic "unthrottling". Stupid chatter.

Reaching 100 MBit/s as shown in the picture is possible depending on WiFi technology used in the router and your device. With 5GHz I reached that on my mobile.

My advice: use 2.4 GHz :biggrin:

Fast enough for almost all home devices and better signal coverage.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Misleading description and blown up barking for a simple WiFi repeater.
I had such in the past (~1000 Baht) and it worked OK.

Virtually it's like having moved your router to another place.

There is no magic "unthrottling". Stupid chatter.

Reaching 100 MBit/s as shown in the picture is possible depending on WiFi technology used in the router and your device. With 5GHz I reached that on my mobile.

My advice: use 2.4 GHz :biggrin:

Fast enough for almost all home devices and better signal coverage.

Thanks for that but doesn't 5 GHz  give you a better/clearer result when watching videos/live streaming? 

Just now, Inderpland said:

Thanks for that but doesn't 5 GHz  give you a better/clearer result when watching videos/live streaming? 

A "HD" stream (1080p) from youtube is about 6 Mbit/s (six!).

Far far below a typical WiFi speed of 50 Mbit/s to 100 Mbit/s.

Maximum bandwidths used commercially that I know of is 25 to 50 Mbit/s (netflix 4k or the like).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I have a 3BB internet package (750 per month) and the router is in the bedroom while the TV is (surprise, surprise) in the living room. What I frequently do is connect my laptop to my TV and via wifi play content on my TV. However, the degradation of the 5 GHz signal is substantial (abt 40% left where the laptop is placed) and I assume I would get a better picture with les buffering if the signal was stronger.

I've been looking at possible options but would like to ask the community about your experiences regarding this issue. Shpuld I get an antenna tha plugs into the router to increase signal strenght output, is there a way to boost the capability of the laptop to receive the signal?

https://get-wifi-x.com/home/THEN/x-81/?ci=12196859508&ai=114417918702&de=c&dm=&cr=495004803778&ts=ytv&kw=&ac=118-376-8843&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j7hsRsGqhmEvSvJJ0HDnohCjwkWDicLaP7pWurE7aPRry2sGR4KyUxoCmSYQAvD_BwE

Buffering? 

Perhaps you can find a better way of playing media on your TV. I have an 8 Mbps connection for my viewing needs. With that there is no buffering at all on Full HD material.

But I use different methods than you. I play all media directly from the TV. Either via the Browser or via USB. Via the Browser for MP4 

But I have also utilised Plex and KODI to play media wirelessly, even from my phone and again no buffering on an 8 Mbps connection.

So perhaps tell us more about your equipment.

Laptop and TV in this case and also the kind of media you are playing. 4k video? H265?

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Buffering? 

Perhaps you can find a better way of playing media on your TV. I have an 8 Mbps connection for my viewing needs. With that there is no buffering at all on Full HD material.

But I use different methods than you. I play all media directly from the TV. Either via the Browser or via USB. Via the Browser for MP4 

But I have also utilised Plex and KODI to play media wirelessly, even from my phone and again no buffering on an 8 Mbps connection.

So perhaps tell us more about your equipment.

Laptop and TV in this case and also the kind of media you are playing. 4k video? H265?

I'm streaming live television via my laptop that's connected to the TV via a HDMI cable.

22 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I'm streaming live television via my laptop that's connected to the TV via a HDMI cable.

So the buffering is from the laptop and not the TV.. Ok, that's a bit more clear. 

Can you reun a test from where you sit in the living room: https://testmy.net

Live television from your laptop? Have you dropped down to 2.4GHz to see if it makes it any better? You don't need high speed Internet for these tasks. I make do with an 8-10 Mbps connection and there is no buffering.

Still waiting for info on laptop.