New info on thai drivers licence

pschef

I must follow this topic up with this new infomation, it applies to Farrang & Thai.

I just returned from the land department office, they issued my wifes full licence pink colour meaning for LIFE. I asked about Farrang could or couldnt have a LIFE licence. The answer a definite NO, we can apparently after holding a licence foe two consecutive years. apply for a 3 year or a 5 year licence, so lets have some views on this revelation. This infomation comes from the highest officer in our land department, thats Chiang Rai province. I assume that will be the same all over Thailand. :cool:

I have had a license for over 5yrs.and have asked for a life or longer lic. No way, as a farang we must renew every year. The local director here has even shown me the rules sent from BKK. Maybe the guy in your area doesn't know this and you maybe lucky and get a 3-5yr. lic.

This is exactly my point on all things Thai, we find so many conflicting rules and regulations. Thats why we should never take things on face value, for example your case and mine. My director was also quoting from regulations from BKK, a big file and was very clear about this subject. We had George saying previously no way even for Thai, My wife received her life time licence just the other day. I guess its a case of be thankful what you get, and dont rock the boat. :laugh:

Once told by a guy in a similar situation to you that he went to a province that were unfamilar about the rules and because he appeared intelligent and well presented they issued a pink licence for him at an address given which was aguest house, and then he re-newed it at his village in Mukdahan as achange of address.

Worth some research?

Sev

:cool:

I have just got back from Mai Sai.

There was a brit in immigration asking for proof of residence so that he could renew his driving licence.

The policeman told him that falangs cannot have a thai licence.   When the brit showed him his old licence he still would not change his view.

Give Mai Sai a wide berth

Yes I ran across the very same guy in mae sai, it was a different subject but SOS. I wonder where these guys get the positions, mostly none of them know anything.

We should start a posting of top ten immigration or other public officials. :laugh: