Motorcycle having red book instead of green book?

AndyAndyAndy

Never seen on my own.

Found some hints.

Thai people call it the "orange book" (ทะเบียนสีส้ม, tá-bian-sĕe-sôm).

It's indeed some registration issued by RTP "before transferring" to DLT (transport office).

Something to do with incomplete (?) transfer of ownership from old vehicle, unpaid tax?

(old vehicle, unpaid tax: if tax payment is overdue for more than 3 years the registration at DLT is void, new book/plate needed)

But here I stop to speculate.

Maybe someone has precise description.

8ftkh7.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

34 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's indeed some registration issued by RTP "before transferring" to DLT (transport office).

As the worn out hand written book suggests: there must have been a time when vehicles where registered by RTP? So if there is an orange book (no green) it is an age old vehicle not paid tax for decades. I have only seen blue and green registration books since the late 1990s.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I tried to find some information about it, the information varies a bit, so some of the things which I concluded could be wrong, but that's how I understood it:

These books were used before there were the green books, the vehicle registry back then was kept at the police instead of at the DLT. If the bike comes with such a book it obviously means that it's quite old (20+ years)

You can't tax a bike with an orange book, you need a green book for this. The owner who's name is in the orange book could pay the outstanding tax and fines and would then get a green book from the DLT for the bike.

If the bike is sold with the orange book the reason will most likely be one of these two:

- The value of the bike is less than the outstanding tax, thus it's not worth to get a green book for it.

- The owner doesn't exist anymore or can't be contacted, thus it's just not possible to get a green book.

In any case, it sounds like having the orange book is equal to not having any book, so just treat it as such.

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

I tried to find some information about it, the information varies a bit, so some of the things which I concluded could be wrong, but that's how I understood it:

These books were used before there were the green books, the vehicle registry back then was kept at the police instead of at the DLT. If the bike comes with such a book it obviously means that it's quite old (20+ years)

You can't tax a bike with an orange book, you need a green book for this. The owner who's name is in the orange book could pay the outstanding tax and fines and would then get a green book from the DLT for the bike.

If the bike is sold with the orange book the reason will most likely be one of these two:

- The value of the bike is less than the outstanding tax, thus it's not worth to get a green book for it.

- The owner doesn't exist anymore or can't be contacted, thus it's just not possible to get a green book.

In any case, it sounds like having the orange book is equal to not having any book, so just treat it as such.

i.e. = NO Insurance possible.....

14 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

What are we talking here, 300 Baht a year multiplied by 30? So maybe something like 10 000 Baht to get a green book?

Bike I've seen with this book were sold for about 10 000 Baht. So definitely not worth the hassle.

You should try to get more information directly from the DLT or an insurance agent.

I can't guarantee but some Thai forum post and a Q&A from DLT sounded like you only have to pay for three years (until the registration became void). Additionally cost for new registration(book) and plates.

Tax for small bike (110 ccm) cost 100 Baht/year.

Real hassle might occur if the owner is not available/dead.

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You should try to get more information directly from the DLT or an insurance agent.

I can't guarantee but some Thai forum post and a Q&A from DLT sounded like you only have to pay for three years (until the registration became void). Additionally cost for new registration(book) and plates.

Tax for small bike (110 ccm) cost 100 Baht/year.

Real hassle might occur if the owner is not available/dead.

If this were easy and cheap the seller would probably do this himself before selling it, because the chance to find a buyer would be way higher if the paperwork is in order.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:10 PM, jackdd said:

If it's untaxed for all these years as it got no green book then the registration would have been cancelled and backpaying fines+taxes to get an up2date green book wont be possible. So your overall conclusion that having this book is just as good as having no book whatsoever is probably about right I'd say.

Edited by eisfeld

This book precedes the green book; a vintage bike it seems. The number plate on top refers to Nong Khai, the red book picture is not the same bike. 

Had such a bike/book in the past; is still today a valid proof of ownership and tax payment records.