Set me straight on COVID insurance for Thai nationals returning to Thailand???

Marinelli

Heya all,

Thai partner returning to Thailand.

ASQ hotel has requested evidence of 100k USD insurance coverage before she arrives.

Insurance options we can see for thai nationals are offering a max 2.5 million baht.

Can someone set me straight on the insurance requirements for returning thai nationals staying in ASQ hotels? I dont read thai, finding it hard to find the info.

Also...suggestions on a provider would be appreciated as well.

Cheers in advance for the assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

My thai wife and I are planning to go to Thailand soon, all the reading I have done says that thai nationals do not need insurance and in certain cases quarantine is free.

have noticed that a lot of outfits giving information are very forward about selling insurance, I think it’s a scam....there’s a surprise????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nzthai said:

My thai wife and I are planning to go to Thailand soon, all the reading I have done says that thai nationals do not need insurance and in certain cases quarantine is free.

Quarantine is only free for Thai nationals who opt for State Quarantine.  Alternative State Quarantine is chargeable for both Thais and non-Thais.

You’re colouring outside the lines and making ‘someone’ at the ASQ hotel think !!!

ASQ hotels are tied to a specific hotel, thus, IF a guest were to fall ill (either with Covid-19 or another illness) it is expected that they will be taken to that specific hospital under ‘isolated conditions’.

Additionally, a Thai will get free healthcare at the hospital they are registered at, thus, IF the ASQ hotel is far from their home, they may not receive free treatment, thus, the ASQ staff responsible need to know how the costs can be covered. 

That’s how I believe the ASQ hotels would see it. 

BUT... Thai’s staying at regular State Quarantine are not required to have insurance, so that puts a hole in the above logic - Thus: IF not insurances is required for State Quarantine, then none should be required for ASQ. 

Thus: the requirement for a Thai to have private health insurance to stay at an ASQ may be a specific hotel requirement, other hotels may be fine with a Thai staying without private health insurance. 

Ask the hotels directly, ask a few, chose one which doesn’t require insurance.