Portable Wifi vs Mobile Hotspot

dddave

Is there any advantage to using a portable Wifi device over using a mobile phone hotspot?

A friend lives in an old building with no internet availability.  She has a decent laptop but no way to use it online.  

it appears from what I read on this forum, her best inexpensive option would be a portable wifi (recommendations?) and a 12 month SIM package.

Edited by dddave

Eindhoven mentioned points +

the Portable Wifi Hotspot has a few useful functions same as a normal wifi router e.g. MAC blocklists, encryptions etc... which I haven't seen so far on mobile phones. In case you are not always online with your phone, the connectivity use to break and than all the fuzz again. And the most important thing is that the user-interface is so much better than a smartphone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prophet01 said:

I often use my mobile phone's hotspot function as my only home wi-fi for all my home devices, TV, laptops etc. for prolonged periods and have never experienced any issues doing so. When I'm travelling for weeks, staying at hotels, I'll use it as my only connection for the laptop. Just need to keep it on charge.

Additionally, I've found that tethering my phone via usb cable generates a consistently higher speed connection than via hotspot.

Just tested it again

Hotspot - 29Mbps

Tethering - 45Mbps

Edited by prophet01

6 hours ago, prophet01 said:

I often use my mobile phone's hotspot function as my only home wi-fi for all my home devices, TV, laptops etc. for prolonged periods and have never experienced any issues doing so. When I'm travelling for weeks, staying at hotels, I'll use it as my only connection for the laptop. Just need to keep it on charge.

Indeed, not the greatest idea to keep your phone on charge 24hrs a day. A mobile phone hotspot is just a stopgap. If you have a spare one, use it. Otherwise better to have a dedicated router; portable or otherwise. 

Using mobile phone as a router is a stopgap, no matter which way you look at it.

Example: downloading a file on to a PC storage drive.. If a large file and you need to go out, you'll either need to leave your phone at home or have a spare phone.

You may or may not need to leave your mobile on charge, dependent on the battery life whilst using as a Hotspot.

So, I repeat, if you already have a spare phone, then use it if it suits. Otherwise a dedicated router is best. Also for coverage, routers are better.

I have all three options here, but choose to utilise a fixed router in so that I can stay connected permanently.

Phone you will have to leave on charge or the battery could deplete in the middle of an unattended download/upload.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Using mobile phone as a router is a stopgap, no matter which way you look at it.

Example: downloading a file on to a PC storage drive.. If a large file and you need to go out, you'll either need to leave your phone at home or have a spare phone.

You may or may not need to leave your mobile on charge, dependent on the battery life whilst using as a Hotspot.

So, I repeat, if you already have a spare phone, then use it if it suits. Otherwise a dedicated router is best. Also for coverage, routers are better.

I have all three options here, but choose to utilise a fixed router in so that I can stay connected permanently.

Phone you will have to leave on charge or the battery could deplete in the middle of an unattended download/upload.

Agree, these small devices are designed as temporary occasional use, not a permanent solution. Yes they may well "do the job" but are not ideal for long term use. IMHO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prophet01 said:

Fine, if you say so it must be true.

I'll just ignore my own experience of it not being a stopgap, as if it was all a dream...

No need to become obsessive about it. Look at what you wrote; 

I put it on charge as necessary then take it off charging as I would do if just using it as a phone.

That's a stopgap. 

I did the same with my MiFi....the battery became swollen. iPhone; swollen battery. 

Phones are a lot more expensive than dedicated Wireless routers.

So...for the third time....if you have a spare mobile phone it can be utilised. Otherwise, I suggest buying a dedicated device.

You've stated your opinion and I have stated mine. Everyone coming here can read and decide with path is best for them. 

Try to not make the mistake of assuming that your experience will be satisfactory for all.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

That's a stopgap. 

For me it isn't

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Try to not make the mistake of assuming that your experience will be satisfactory for all.

I don't need to "try to not make the mistake..." as I've neither assumed nor suggested that my experience would be satisfactory to all.

I've simply relayed my experience. It's for others to decide whether or not to follow that experience.

1 minute ago, prophet01 said:

For me it isn't

I don't need to "try to not make the mistake..." as I've neither assumed nor suggested that my experience would be satisfactory to all.

I've simply relayed my experience. It's for others to decide whether or not to follow that experience.

Why did I know that you would be back? All that you wrote here went without saying.

We know that you consider it satisfactory to your needs and we know that you have relayed your experience. But thank you for coming back to clarify.

I am actually not at all sure why you got so worked up about it. The question was simply Portable Wifi vs Mobile Hotspot.

You relayed your experience and I relayed mine; based on having all three here, right next to me.

OP can read all and decide. Nothing about which to be upset.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why did I know that you would be back?

Presumably because, just as you are, I'm a member of this forum and perfectly entitlted to respond, just as did you.

But thank you for coming back to clarify.

Likewise thank you for expressing your appreciation

I am actually not at all sure why you got so worked up about it.

Nothing about which to be upset.

And i'm equally actually not at all sure why you, mistakenly, believe I got worked up.

Please be assured that I'm not at all upset.

Edited by prophet01
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, dddave said:

Is there any advantage to using a portable Wifi device over using a mobile phone hotspot?

A friend lives in an old building with no internet availability.  She has a decent laptop but no way to use it online.  

it appears from what I read on this forum, her best inexpensive option would be a portable wifi (recommendations?) and a 12 month SIM package.

yes.  We used a mobile hot spot, D Link for a couple of years with an AIS sim in it, even in the house.  Cheap, until AIS changed the package and I got <deleted> with them and never used it again.  But it worked well.  

Edited by Pilotman