Jump to content

Passport validity and Non 'O' visa extension


Recommended Posts

My UK passport expires 21 April 2022.

My 1 year Non 'O' visa expires 29 May 2021.

 

My question is will immigration extend my visa till May 29 2022 in my current passport or do I need to get a new passport this year before applying for the extension.

 

Some guidance welcomed as new passport renewal ( if I need one ) may take a few weeks from what I have read . . . .

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for Ubonjoe:   I understand that no extension will be given beyond the passport expiration date; however, presuming Osmond extends in May (without getting a new passport now) and they only will give him an extension until April 21, 2022, would Immigration change that extension date later to May 29,2022, if Osmond gets a new passport this summer and he asks Immigration to change the extension to the May 29th date?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Question for Ubonjoe:   I understand that no extension will be given beyond the passport expiration date; however, presuming Osmond extends in May (without getting a new passport now) and they only will give him an extension until April 21, 2022, would Immigration change that extension date later to May 29,2022, if Osmond gets a new passport this summer and he asks Immigration to change the extension to the May 29th date?  

 

No. They used to do like you outline, but that changed a few years ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Question for Ubonjoe:   I understand that no extension will be given beyond the passport expiration date; however, presuming Osmond extends in May (without getting a new passport now) and they only will give him an extension until April 21, 2022, would Immigration change that extension date later to May 29,2022, if Osmond gets a new passport this summer and he asks Immigration to change the extension to the May 29th date?  

They will only transfer the stamps to the new passport after getting a new one and the extension would have to be applied for when it expires in April of 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, osmond said:

My UK passport expires 21 April 2022.

My 1 year Non 'O' visa expires 29 May 2021.

 

My question is will immigration extend my visa till May 29 2022 in my current passport or do I need to get a new passport this year before applying for the extension.

 

Some guidance welcomed as new passport renewal ( if I need one ) may take a few weeks from what I have read . . . .

 

Thanks in advance

You would have seen this issue well before now and could/should have obtained new pp. In any event with your dates you miss out on basically nothing. ~one month.

If you worried about time taken to obtain new pp then just apply for your next extension obtaining permission of stay for approx 11 months instead of the full year.

Immigration would not be inclined to change your stamp however I vaguely recall ubonjoe stating that in SOME cases it's possible.

Anyway it's not even an issue. Get your new passport next year.

Edited by DrJack54
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, osmond said:

My UK passport expires 21 April 2022.

My 1 year Non 'O' visa expires 29 May 2021.

 

My question is will immigration extend my visa till May 29 2022 in my current passport or do I need to get a new passport this year before applying for the extension.

 

Some guidance welcomed as new passport renewal ( if I need one ) may take a few weeks from what I have read . . . .

 

Thanks in advance

Perhaps you could obtain a new passport early?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Anyway it's not even an issue. Get your new passport next year.

I would suggest getting it at least 6 months before it expires. Many countries still require 6 months of passport validity to enter them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been waiting for my new British passport for 2 months so I would get in early. I will now be paying over stay as the new passport has not arrived, I found out from the Immigration office yesterday. I received a notice from HMPO early January saying my passport application has arrived and a new passport will be here within 2 months, which means I am possibly up for a months overstay!

 It may help to do the passport application yourself as my application sat on an agents desk for 2 weeks and it took VFS a week to process it, my credit card was debited by VFS at the end of December, some 3 weeks after it arrived at the agents and I paid the agents fee. 10 years to the next one but I won't forget not to use this agent, who has consistently said don't worry the passport will be delivered with plenty of time before my visa expires!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

I have been waiting for my new British passport for 2 months so I would get in early. I will now be paying over stay as the new passport has not arrived, I found out from the Immigration office yesterday.

Has your old passport expired. If not expired you can use your old passport that was returned to the agent to apply for an extension at immigration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...