Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and 14 more nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

snoop1130

Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and 14 more nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

By Scott Colothan

iron-maiden-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.jpg

© Getty / Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden have finally been nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 16 years after they first became eligible.

The shortlist of the 16 artists vying to be inducted was unveiled at lunchtime today and Iron Maiden appear on a list that also includes fellow rock acts Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, New York Dolls, Devo, Tina Turner and Todd Rundgren.

Also on the musically eclectic list are Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, The Go-Go's, Jay-Z, Chaka Khan, Carole King, Fela Kuti, LL Cool J and Dionne Warwick.

“This remarkable ballot reflects the diversity and depth of the artists and music the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrates,” said John Sykes, Chairman of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, in a statement.

Full Story: https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/iron-maiden-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

Eventually all popular rock acts will end up in the Rock Hall of Fame as the words "genius" and "legend" are grossly overused by the media in this age of the superlative. 

Rock n roll may not be dead, but it has certainly passed its heyday. I challenge anyone to suggest any original rock acts breaking in the last three years (I do come here to learn). 

If Jay-Z is a nominee for The Hall, then Rap music has been included as well. Is that true? How does that sit with traditional rock fans?

To a great extent, I think rock music, 70s, 80s style has migrated to country music. I hear a lot of rock's elements in contemporary country artists.  

Perhaps rock music will end up like Jazz, a great and original style of music that has a loyal following, an adequate number of young followers, but  with limited exposure and small market share of record sales. I do not want want to underestimate the entertainment corporations, but I would think at some point they will run out of ways to repackage classic rock. Ten years down the road can Blink 182 generate the concert revenue equal to Ozzy Osbourne, Journey or Eric Clapton?

Also, I would guess a lot of the concert revenue from rock acts is generated by older acts from the 60s - 90s.

• Thanks 1