Suggestion for a Network Switch.

NCC1701A

I have a True Humax HG100RE-02V router now that is about two years old and I want to run one CAT cable to one room where I have three notebook computers* and two smart flat screens. 

I only want to do hard wired. So what is the latest and greatest switch to use to plug all this stuff into? I am thinking 1x6 or 1X8. Has to be available on Lazada or in local stores like Banana IT. 

Thanks for any input. I also want to get the "best" CAT cable also just so it is good for a while until the entire standard is changed yet again. Distance is 15 meters. 

*24/7 ThaiFriendly and Tinder command center obviously.  

Edited by NCC1701A

Since a couple of years have a TP-LINK "TL-SG105" (1 x 4).

Gigabit switch. Cost 800 at the time.

Now seemingly cheaper.

I have about 15m cable from the router and all works fine.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I have a True Humax HG100RE-02V router now that is about two years old and I want to run one CAT cable to one room where I have three notebook computers* and two smart flat screens. 

I only want to do hard wired. So what is the latest and greatest switch to use to plug all this stuff into? I am thinking 1x6 or 1X8. Has to be available on Lazada or in local stores like Banana IT. 

Thanks for any input. I also want to get the "best" CAT cable also just so it is good for a while until the entire standard is changed yet again. Distance is 15 meters. 

*24/7 ThaiFriendly and Tinder command center obviously.  

Use only Cisco and you will not go far wrong

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Basically any CAT 6 will do the job, especially for only 15 meter distance.

"Better" cables or thicker cables or cables with gold plated connectors won't make the connection any better or faster.

511layXm4QL._AC_SY450_.jpg

• Thanks 1

For most applications we use a router for the secondary device - but this won't work for the OP who requires five wired connections - as most folks require WLAN ( 2.4 and 5 GHZ ) extension. In this config. you'll only have three GbE connections remaining.

If someone tells me they need a 15 m cable, I plan on at least 45 m.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i was looking at this. 

Just make sure it supports GbE. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

444bht with free delivery on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch-i343924509-s669740827.html

I have the 5 port version of this, works perfectly.

• Thanks 1

OP, if you dont have much plugged into the actual router, it may be more efficient to move the router into the room where the 5 devices are. 

A router sends data only to the device that the data is meant for, ie: a download for computer 4 gets routed only to computer 4. A switch on the other hand sends all data to all devices, the download for computer 4 gets sent to computer 1,2,3 and 5, each device then accepts/refuses the data. 

You can check this by looking at the LEDs on a router with 3-4 devices plugged in, only the LED for a busy device will be flashing, idle devices wont be flashing, they are not carrying any data. 

The same 3-4 devices plugged into a switch and all LEDs are flashing, they are all getting the same data.

Depending on configuration, you may be setting up a network where the router isnt doing much routing and the switch is very busy. Imagine if you received all the mail for your street in your letterbox, took your mail then sent the other letters back to the postman who then delivers all the mail to another mailbox, who only take their mail etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, if you dont have much plugged into the actual router, it may be more efficient to move the router into the room where the 5 devices are. 

The True router only has 4 GbE ports. And is probably located close to the COAX termination point. Re-jiggering that might be challenging.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/assets/files/files/HUMAX_HG100RE-02_new_detail_update241017.pdf

A switch will be fine. Can't see a GbE link getting saturated with three notebooks and two TVs, unless the OP is running some sort of boiler-room. For less than a 1,000 baht well worth trialing it IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

A switch on the other hand sends all data to all devices, the download for computer 4 gets sent to computer 1,2,3 and 5, each device then accepts/refuses the data. 

I think that is incorrect.

This was the case in the earlier days, when network hubs were used, but not with switches.

https://www.uhcl.edu/computing/information-security/tips-best-practices/routers

Hubs

Hubs do little more than enable the electrical currents from a computer sending a packet to pass to all other devices connected to it. 

Switches

To remedy the performance and privacy issues of hub technology, "switch” technology was developed which greatly improved on the hub functionality by adding logic to:

• Direct messages only to the devices that are involved in the communication resulting in:
  • A significant reduction in packet collisions and the communication burden for all connected devices,

• Thanks 1