Can we drive from Phrae to Nan without restriction ?

FlorC

Last year it was posted here that Nan , that didn't have any corona, closed its borders.

I can't find the thread , since ThaiVisa search is , well you know , not that great....

Can we drive/visit Nan from Phrae without restrictions or valid reason ?

(and back of course, in one day)

Will the check point on the 101 before Wiang Sa be difficult ?

I do have Chonburi plates , and that is/was a red zone , but I live in Phrae. 

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Last year it was posted here that Nan , that didn't have any corona, closed its borders.

I can't find the thread , since ThaiVisa search is , well you know , not that great....

Can we drive/visit Nan from Phrae without restrictions or valid reason ?

(and back of course, in one day)

Will the check point on the 101 before Wiang Sa be difficult ?

I do have Chonburi plates , and that is/was a red zone , but I live in Phrae. 

Yes i think so. I cant see you having any problems.Just the usual checkpoints e.t.c.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Yes i think so. I cant see you having any problems.Just the usual checkpoints e.t.c.

Think , but not sure .

If I get stopped at the Wiang sa checkpoint , that's 140 km for nothing .

Would the highway police know ?

Their office not far from me.

I have Chonburi plates on my car and travelled from Petchabun to Pua, Nan, last Monday. I was stopped at a Covid check on the 101 near Nan. No hassle at all and the process took about 5 minutes. Because there were major road works just before the check and it was raining my car had become filthy so on the way out of Nan travelling to Loei province I took another route through national parks thus avoiding the road works. Again I was stopped once for about 5 minutes but again very pleasant experience. You should be ok.

Edited by thoengthaied
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Think , but not sure .

If I get stopped at the Wiang sa checkpoint , that's 140 km for nothing .

Would the highway police know ?

Their office not far from me.

Ok ,there will be no problem - hows that for you - if you are that worried stay home 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

I have Chonburi plates on my car and travelled from Petchabun to Pua, Nan, last Monday. I was stopped at a Covid check on the 101 near Nan. No hassle at all and the process took about 5 minutes. Because there were major road works just before the check and it was raining my car had become filthy so on the way out of Nan travelling to Loei province I took another route through national parks thus avoiding the road works. Again I was stopped once for about 5 minutes but again very pleasant experience. You should be ok.

What was the process that took 5 minutes ?

I thought the 101 was finished ?

Widening the road again ? How long are the workes , 1 km or more of dirt/rocky road ?

Is it doable when dry , and ok for ( my new) tyres ?

On 2/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, FlorC said:

What was the process that took 5 minutes ?

I thought the 101 was finished ?

Widening the road again ? How long are the workes , 1 km or more of dirt/rocky road ?

Is it doable when dry , and ok for ( my new) tyres ?

The process involved having my temperature taken with a hand held gun, walking along a series of tables manned by I know not who...police, medics? Being asked where I had come from and where I was going to. The last desk was manned by two youngish ladies who didn't speak English and it seemed easier for them to just wave me on and back to my car.

If I remember correctly the roadworks were before Wiang Sa and lasted for several kilometres. These were major roadworks but the traffic flowed reasonably well despite the conditions. On my way back my GPS turned me left off the 101 at Wiang Sa and through Nan national park I think. About 10 minutes into the park I came to the other checkpoint which was manned again by police who had stopped me but I don't remember any medics. This time I had my temperature taken again and had to complete a form in duplicate with my name address etc. and they gave me the top copy stamped and signed and said it might be useful if I showed it if I got stopped again.

The roadworks are certainly passable with any old car. There's just a lot of dust and because it was raining my car was filthy with the muddy dirt thrown up by other vehicles. I tried to keep a good distance from the vehicles in front because of the dirt thrown up but I was conscious of many vehicles behind me who wanted to go faster.

• Like 1