Recently upgraded True router 5g, 2 wifi signals?

Kenny202

Recently upgraded our True router. Now we are getting two wifi signals from it. One is labelled 5G and the other 2.4/5G

Reason I ask is I have connected most things to the 5G connection and getting speeds of around 300mbps.

Our Tv box wont seem to find the signal for the 5G though, only the 2.4/5G. And we are getting speeds of around 100mbps.

I am just wondering does this mean the TV box doesn't have 5G or high speed capability? It's probably a year or two old

I even connected the TV box with a LAN cable and still only getting 100mbps

Yes, you get 2 signals from a dual band router.

Its not 5G, it’s 5Ghz - You will find that older items connect at 2.4 band, we use the 2.4 for smart home devices.

https://www.lifewire.com/dual-band-wireless-networking-explained-818279

5Ghz is faster, but 2.4 will travel farther and better through walls.

Edited by recom273
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Recently upgraded our True router. Now we are getting two wifi signals from it. One is labelled 5G and the other 2.4/5G

Reason I ask is I have connected most things to the 5G connection and getting speeds of around 300mbps.

Our Tv box wont seem to find the signal for the 5G though, only the 2.4/5G. And we are getting speeds of around 100mbps.

I am just wondering does this mean the TV box doesn't have 5G or high speed capability? It's probably a year or two old

I even connected the TV box with a LAN cable and still only getting 100mbps

You likely have a TV box with 100 mbps LAN connection and 2.4 GHz Wifi only. Or the router has only 100 mbps LAN ports (seen on cheaper boxes), or you use a switch between router and TV which is only 100 mbps. For Wifi, 2.4 GHz has a speed limit that is generally between 50 and 200 mbps, depending on equipment used.

Also possible is that your TV box is not scanning the channels where router is transmitting. If you have this option, go to router web page, login as admin with password as written on the box or provided by True, then try to change to a different (usually lower) channel for 5G. Then it might be in range TV box is searching.