Scuba dive liveaboards. Any recommendations now?

Jeffr2

I've not been diving here in many years, but now seems like a great time to go. Especially as I'll be in Phuket soon for an extended stay.

Any body know of boats that are operating now? I'm interested in the Similans or the Burma Banks.

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've not been diving here in many years, but now seems like a great time to go. Especially as I'll be in Phuket soon for an extended stay.

Any body know of boats that are operating now? I'm interested in the Similans or the Burma Banks.

Thanks in advance!

Daytrips are really good at the moment, similans has limited options only. For the latter, boats tend to have not enough people to get confirmed or be fully booked.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Daytrips are really good at the moment, similans has limited options only. For the latter, boats tend to have not enough people to get confirmed or be fully booked.

I have found a few going out. I'm waiting to hear back from Sea Dragon. Got a reply from Similan Diving Safaris. Said they are working with another operator for trips.

March 15th has a confirmed trip. 4d/4n. We'll see!

Read about another that is going south, towards the Andamans and Lipe. 8 days and 60k baht. A bit too much for me.

Thanks!!

I did one back in November 2020 at Similans onboard The Phinisi.  It was fantastic.  I've done 2 livaboards there several years ago when it was crowded.   In November, at Richelieu Rock there were only 2 other boats, and they left within an hour, so we had the entire site to ourselves.   I can recommend this company highly, the boat and crew were great.  With COVID the price was reduced I think 30% then...  should be similar now.   Great time to go diving, and right now you have very good odds of Mantas and Whale Sharks!

The Junk | Liveaboard diving in Thailand

Edited by n8sail
Misspelled Phinisi
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Thanks in advance!

From Indonesia, www.panunee.com, www.veloceanliveaboard.com.  Both same owners, last is new, fast, more or less luxury built y and for divers.  Office in Manee building Bangkok.  Chitlom BTS, get off level 2 and walk into building.

Edited by dlclark97
add comment
  • Like 1

Most liveaboard for the Similans start from Khaolak, Khaolak scuba adventures run a few liveboard from 3 - 4 or 5 days. Look on there site www.khaolakscubaadventures.com for contact them under FB.

For Burma banks there is no chance right now as the border are close...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

From Indonesia, www.panunee.com, www.veloceanliveaboard.com.  Both same owners, last is new, fast, more or less luxury built y and for divers.  Office in Manee building Bangkok.  Chitlom BTS, get off level 2 and walk into building.

Doesn't operate in Thailand.

• Like 1

Three days ago, on 19th February, we returned from 5 days in the Similans, on the Dolphin Queen, with https://www.similan-diving-safaris.com/

There was a surprisingly large number of liveaboards around; four at Richlieu Rock, and it was very crowded on one particular dive.

However, there were no speedboats/dayboats at any of the dive sites we visited on the trip, and a max of two liveaboards anywhere except at RR. 

There certainly are liveaboards operating. We saw The Smiling Seahorse, Dive Race, Summer Liveaboard and at least two others I can't remember. I can't recommend any of these but the Dolphin Queen was friendly, with knowledgeable guides, average food and average accommodation; not a problem for five days.

Good luck and I hope you get to dive.

????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tapster said:

Three days ago, on 19th February, we returned from 5 days in the Similans, on the Dolphin Queen, with https://www.similan-diving-safaris.com/

There was a surprisingly large number of liveaboards around; four at Richlieu Rock, and it was very crowded on one particular dive.

However, there were no speedboats/dayboats at any of the dive sites we visited on the trip, and a max of two liveaboards anywhere except at RR. 

There certainly are liveaboards operating. We saw The Smiling Seahorse, Dive Race, Summer Liveaboard and at least two others I can't remember. I can't recommend any of these but the Dolphin Queen was friendly, with knowledgeable guides, average food and average accommodation; not a problem for five days.

Good luck and I hope you get to dive.

????

How was the diving?

Thanks for the info!!!

@Jeffr2

No big things: hammerheads shagging whalesharks, being video'd by mantas.

I was hoping for all that stuff but it may have been the wrong time of the year, or too many liveaboards, or just the roll of the dice.

The dive sites were a lot better than those in any other area of Thailand (imo), so definitely worth the trip. As you know, you might be lucky and see all the big stuff at this time of the year. We last went in Feb 2016 and we saw everything!

????

• Like 1