Gym In Chang Mai

skoperism

Hi,

Could anyone tell me where are some Gyms in chang mai? and how much per month?

Thanks

Main and perhaps currently most popular gyms are California WOW at Central Airport Plaza, Powerhouse off Nimmenheimin Road, Platinum off the Mae Rim road and Fitness Thailand behind Icon Square. Others include Body and Mind by the airport, World Club off the Hang Dong Road, City Gym off the Canal/Mae Rim road, Hillside Gym at the Hillside Condo block on Huay Kaew Road (sorry I forget which number Hillside it is) and the gym at the Chiang Mai Orchid next to Kad Suan Kaew.

Sorry I don't have any tel. no's or prices but a little detective work and you should be able to get that info without too much difficulty.

Edited by Bananaman

Chiang Mai Orchid gym 8000 B/yr. Somewhat shopworn gym, but it has all the stuff- stairsteppers, recumbent bikes, running treadmills, freeweights, and assorted workout weight machines. Pool is middling size but adequate length for swimming laps. The big draw for me is that it is right next door to Kad Suan Kaew/Central, so I can spend a few hours at the gym/pool, then do any necessary shopping next door. This convenience overcomes all the negatives of the gym. And frankly, I've grown to love it, and overlook the slightly tatty appearance. Nice group of clientele, mixed farang/Japanese/local Thais. Never crowded. I give it a 7 on an overall scale of 10, but it gets the job done, and works for me.... :o

There is a small gym on the fourth floor of Kad Suan Kaew that has lots of excercise machines and, on the afternoon I checked it out, lots of customers. Too crowded for me, but it was cheap.

Hillside 4 has a gym that has old but adequate weight machines and free weights, and lots of aerobics machines, very few which work properly. Neither of their elliptical machines have any resistance, and many of the stationary bikes have the same problem. They have six treadmills, but only two which have the elevation function working. I pointed these things out to the staff, but nothing was done. I never saw a crowd there, but as soon as my membership expired I happily left. They have different prices for people who own a condo, people who rent a condo, and people who don't live at Hillside 4.

The Powerhouse gym on a soi off Nimmanhemin is kind of small but has modern equipment, professional staff, and is the only gym I've seen in Chiang Mai run to western standards. It is also the most expensive gym I've visited, the price I was quoted several months ago was 3000 baht membership and 1250 baht a month after that.

The gym I go to now is Thailand Fitness on the 8th floor of the parking garage behind Icon Computer Plaza. It has only been open a few months, has lots of weight machines, free weigths, and many aerobic machines to choose from, all new and most in good working order. It has a few quirks; it has tile floors, and of course the tiles are getting pretty banged up in the free weight area. It has no towel service, so you need to bring your own. Also, many, perhaps most, of the free weight machines have the weights mislabled. The same size plates are labeled anywhere from five to twenty pounds depending on which machine they are on, with similar mislabeling of the KG numbers. There is a Cable Lat Pulldown machine with identical weight plates which apparently weigh five pounds/two kilograms near the top of the stack and 20 pounds/nine kilograms near the bottom. With the help of another customer who spoke Thai I pointed this out to the staff a couple of weeks ago, but nothing has been done. This is really a minor annoyance, I don't need to know how much weight I am lifting to get a workout. However I worry that if an easy to correct problem like this is ignored, how well will management respond when more serious maintenance and repair needs arise? Still, it is in a convenient location for me and the price was reasonable, 7000 baht for a one year membership. I consider it a big improvement over the Hillside 4 gym.

Hey Thanks for the info.

I went to power house and spoke to an american sales rep. Way to pricey for my requirments. All I need are free weights and a lat pulldown machine. Dont need pools, sunas and all those high tech gym machines.

Considering my requirements I was unwilling to pay 2500 per month at powerhouse. I will check out Thailand Fitness. I tried to find it near the Novatel but it has moved and wasnt able to find it. But I will check around Icon tonight.

Thanks for info.