Working with a Non O visa

I have a Non O marriage (with a non-Thai citizen) visa. Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to get a work permit with this kind of visa? Is it necessary to convert it to Non B? Can I do it without leaving the country?

2. If I work part-time, how can I do it legally? Is it necessary to get a work permit or there may be other ways?

Thank you.

1. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. Edit: That is about the only basis a non-o visa can be used to apply a work permit other than one issued to work as a volunteer.

2. You need a work permit to work.

To apply for a work permit you must be working for a Thai company or partnership with a registered capital of at least 2 million baht and 2 or 4 Thai employees.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

What the dangerous and unfair reality is that, if you do have a non-o with a work permit on top of it, as soon as you leave the job, your non-o is also cancelled I believe. Correct me, if I'm mistaken.

For me, given how schools can be a 'hit or a miss' as far as a good comfortable place to work, IMO,  it's a big decision and one I'd rather not have to make.