Picture Frame

dave111223

I bought a 60cm x 100cm painting on Koh Chang during my last visit, and it just arrived in the mail (very happy with the painting)

Now i need a frame. I want to get the kind where the painting goes around the frame (like the frame they use when actually painting the painting).

I figure it should be cheap, seeing as it's just a 1"x1" wood built into a square to put the painting over. (So you don't actually see the frame)

But i went down to the local frame shop and they quoted me 1280 THB!!

Does this price some ridiculous to you? At that rate i'm about to go to the hardware store and just buy some wood myself and put it together.

I'll check with another nearby frame work today first though.

I bought a 60cm x 100cm painting on Koh Chang during my last visit, and it just arrived in the mail (very happy with the painting)

Now i need a frame. I want to get the kind where the painting goes around the frame (like the frame they use when actually painting the painting).

I figure it should be cheap, seeing as it's just a 1"x1" wood built into a square to put the painting over. (So you don't actually see the frame)

Does this price some ridiculous to you? At that rate i'm about to go to the hardware store and just buy some wood myself and put it together.

You should feel happy. I bought a couple of prints in Cambodia. Finally got around to getting them framed in the US. Each print is no more than 60cm x 15cm. I was quoted $393 to have them framed. That's about 10x what you were quoted. It is a rip-off indeed.

Sounds as though you mean a stretcher for a canvass. And no, the price quoted is not excessive, as it's quite a large canvass.

It sounds as though there has been a 'kowjai pid' (misunderstanding) between yourself and the framing shop in question (did they show you a selection of FRAMES for instance, and ask which one you wanted?). I assume the painting was taken off its original support (frame, to you), which is called a STRETCHER, and sent to you rolled up? This is common practice as the canvass is far easier (and cheaper) to transport taken off its STRECTCHER and rolled. You will need to have it re-STRETCHED. Which should cost you no more than between 100 and 200 baht, and which, unless you have experience of stretching canvass, which I assume from your post you don't, would leave up to an experienced frame shop. Whether you want it FRAMED afterwards is up to you, which would probably cost you around the price you quoted, depending on the quality of the FRAME. Hope this is clear.

It sounds as though there has been a 'kowjai pid' (misunderstanding) between yourself and the framing shop in question (did they show you a selection of FRAMES for instance, and ask which one you wanted?). I assume the painting was taken off its original support (frame, to you), which is called a STRETCHER, and sent to you rolled up? This is common practice as the canvass is far easier (and cheaper) to transport taken off its STRECTCHER and rolled. You will need to have it re-STRETCHED. Which should cost you no more than between 100 and 200 baht, and which, unless you have experience of stretching canvass, which I assume from your post you don't, would leave up to an experienced frame shop. Whether you want it FRAMED afterwards is up to you, which would probably cost you around the price you quoted, depending on the quality of the FRAME. Hope this is clear.

Yes that's right. They took it off the "stretcher" then sent it to me. What i need is it put back onto the "stretcher".

So when you say it should cost 100 - 200 baht are you talking about the cost of the actual wood, or the service of "stretching the canvas"?

The 1280 price just seems excessive seeing as the actually painting itself (custom made) only cost 2800!

Just seems ridiculous to have the wood behind the painting (which is not even visible) cost the half price of the actual painting!

I sympathise I just had a picture framed, set me back about the same as what you are looking at. Mine was done at Index Living Mall nr Central Ladprao, I suppose I could have got it cheaper at a Mom n Pop shop, but had no idea where to look.

I sympathise I just had a picture framed, set me back about the same as what you are looking at. Mine was done at Index Living Mall nr Central Ladprao, I suppose I could have got it cheaper at a Mom n Pop shop, but had no idea where to look.

Really Index does framing? (I live right near Index Ladprao) And i'd prefer to get it done there, than at a mom n pop.

Yes that's right. They took it off the "stretcher" then sent it to me. What i need is it put back onto the "stretcher".

So when you say it should cost 100 - 200 baht are you talking about the cost of the actual wood, or the service of "stretching the canvas"?

The 1280 price just seems excessive seeing as the actually painting itself (custom made) only cost 2800!

Just seems ridiculous to have the wood behind the painting (which is not even visible) cost the half price of the actual painting!

the price of the wood would be about 30-40baht per 2-23 metr length. any old wood will do. artists don't use teak or the like for stretchers, bearing in mind that they are simply temporary supports. i'm assuming you are in bangkok? and the shop is thinking that it's not worth their time, without your buying a FRAME also. well, you can see their point. take it to a local artist's gallery and they will re-stretch it more cheaply, in the hope that you may buy something from them too. if the canvass you have is heavily textured, it could crack along the edges when re-stretched, if there is insufficient 'raw' canvass to overlap the new stretcher. so, be aware of this.

I went to Index and they quoted 1,200. However they said they didn't have any just plain wood, so it would be an actual frame used as a stretcher.

I figured what the heck, and was going to have them do it, until they told me it was going to take 5-7 days, because they had to send the painting out to get it done.

I started imagining the painting get carted round in some pickup truck for a week and decided against it.

So i went looking around more, and found a gallery which quoted 900 baht for a stretcher. But while i was in the shop i noticed a real frame which really suited the painting, so decided to get this frame for 1,400. Going to pick it up on Friday :o