Single entry TR vs. Exempt entry: pros/cons?

Seems like they both give the same total stay of 90 days max (for US passport):

TR: 60 days + 30 day extension

Exempt: 45 days + 45 days extension

If the goal is to stay the max, is an extension easy to get in both cases?  Any other advantages/disadvantages to either method during the current situation?  

Also:  did anyone test if after staying 90 days on TR, would it be possible to leave and re-enter soon on the exemption and do another 90 days, on a US passport?

Visa exempt 45+30.

For other parts of your question. How long do you wish to stay in Thailand.

How old are you.

As for exiting after 3 months and reenter that assumes borders open. Don't count on that.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Visa exempt 45+30.

OK, sorry I see where I got confused on the extension part...initial stay of 30 days was extended to 45, but subsequent extension still 30 days

As one of the Countries listed for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival, U.S. Passport Holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 45 days** on each visit (**Previous permitted period of stay was 30 days; the extension to 45 days will be in effect until 30 September 2021) 

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For other parts of your question. How long do you wish to stay in Thailand.

How old are you.

I'm under 50 y/o,  I'd like to be able to stay 90 days if I am able. Looks like the TR will give me more time.  I'd like to have an option to stay even longer just in case, I did look at the STV, but man, it seems too heavy on paperwork....  a criminal record letter from the FBI....  a Foreign Insurance Certificate signed and stamped by the insurance... A Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases....plus fully paid reservation stay for entire 90 days... that just seems too many complications.

2 minutes ago, wn78 said:

I'm under 50 y/o,  I'd like to be able to stay 90 days if I am able. Looks like the TR will give me more time.  I'd like to have an option to stay even longer just in case, I did look at the STV, but man, it seems too heavy on paperwork....  a criminal record letter from the FBI....  a Foreign Insurance Certificate signed and stamped by the insurance... A Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases....plus fully paid reservation stay for entire 90 days... that just seems too many complications.

Agree re STV option. Too much stuffing about.

If I was planning the same I would enter visa exempt. Currently there are 60 day 'covid extensions'. They will be issued till end of March but will almost certainly be extended.

You could apply for one of those prior to your 45 day stamp expiring. Be aware that immigration office could require you to obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt first.

No big deal you could apply for covid extensions after that. Thinking no issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If I was planning the same I would enter visa exempt. Currently there are 60 day 'covid extensions'. They will be issued till end of March but will almost certainly be extended.

You could apply for one of those prior to your 45 day stamp expiring. Be aware that immigration office could require you to obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt first.

Is the covid extension applicable to the exempt only, or also to the TR?

are you saying, the 30 days extension is replaced with a 60-day covid extension, giving the total stay of 45+60 days on the exempt?

1 minute ago, wn78 said:

are you saying, the 30 days extension is replaced with a 60-day covid extension, giving the total stay of 45+60 days on the exempt?

Covid extensions are available for both. 

Your visa exempt entry has an option of obtaining a 30 day extension. That has always been the case.

Currently in Thailand there are many folk that are obtaining covid extensions.

In the example of someone entering Thailand visa exempt they would be issued with 45 day permission of stay stamp. Prior to it's expiry they could try for 60 day covid extension. However (just a guess from me, have not read a report) the imm office could insist you use you extension to your visa exempt entry. An expert will give their opinion.

That's not a big problem. Simply means that you would obtain the 30 day extension after which apply for 60 day covid extension

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Normally Immigration would require you to first use the 'regular' one time only 30-days extension which your Visa Exempt or 60-day Tourist Visa provides you, so that's 45+30 or 60+30.  After that you would have to make use of the 60-day covid-extensions, which have a fixed end-date (end of March, but as good as certain prolonged, to end of May, end of July, etc... until border restrictions are eased).  Such 60-day covid-extension requires two visits to Immigration, first to apply for it (easy process) and then having to come back after the under consideration period - can be 2 weeks - to get the actual covid-extension permission to stay stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If I was planning the same I would enter visa exempt.

So in your opinion, are extensions (regular or covid) easier to get on the exempt stamp rather than the TR in general?  I've gotten exempt extensions in the past and had no issues.  On the other hand, doesn't the TR stamp (issued by the embassy and for which I paid a fee) give me some more legitimacy and assurance they're not going to reject me on an extension....or not necessarily?  Not to mention, the TR gives me the guaranteed initial 60 days vs the 45 days on exempt.

Maybe I'm starting to split hairs here, but I just want the best chances of staying longer, given all the trouble of ASQ and flights I have to go through.

Edited by wn78

1 minute ago, wn78 said:

So in your opinion, are extensions (regular or covid) easier to get on the exempt stamp rather than the TR in general?  I've gotten exempt extensions in the past and had no issues.  On the other hand, doesn't the TR stamp (issued by the embassy and for which I paid a fee) give me some more legitimacy and assurance they're not going to reject me on an extension....or not necessarily?  Not to mention, the TR gives me the guaranteed initial 60 days vs the 45 days on exempt.

Your ability to obtain the covid extensions will be the same on visa exempt and TV.

I agree with @Peter Denis when he talks about covid extensions most likely being available until that time where borders are open. Thinking that won't happen soon.

If your plans were asked about pre covid times, then I would have suggested single entry TV or even METV.

In current times I don't see any great advantage in obtaining a TV. 

• Like 2

I'm deciding same issue!

After spending too much time trying to do visa application online....not for tech challenged individual

Just trying to upload photos and passport 

Had to be configured etc

So after the time wasted i thought id go exempt. Save the postal ordeal mailing pp and xtra prepaid envelopes to consulate( chance of getting lost in mail)

The xtra 15 days in mute i will be applying for 90 day non o anyway

So that's my 2 cents

40 minutes ago, Pattaya80 said:

I'm deciding same issue!

After spending too much time trying to do visa application online....not for tech challenged individual

Just trying to upload photos and passport 

Had to be configured etc

So after the time wasted i thought id go exempt. Save the postal ordeal mailing pp and xtra prepaid envelopes to consulate( chance of getting lost in mail)

The xtra 15 days in mute i will be applying for 90 day non o anyway

So that's my 2 cents

My question was about improving my chances of getting maximum extensions to stay 90-days or even longer.  If you can get guaranteed 90 days on your non-o visa, seems like it's worth the trouble since you won't have to worry about extending.  Beyond that, I don't know if 60-day covid extensions would apply to your visa type.

44 minutes ago, wn78 said:

My question was about improving my chances of getting maximum extensions to stay 90-days or even longer.  If you can get guaranteed 90 days on your non-o visa, seems like it's worth the trouble since you won't have to worry about extending.  Beyond that, I don't know if 60-day covid extensions would apply to your visa type.

I think he was trying to apply for a tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry not a a non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry. 

The the 15 days he mentioned is the difference between a 45 day visa exempt entry and a tourist visa.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

I think he was trying to apply for a tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry not a a non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry. 

The the 15 days he mentioned is the difference between a 45 day visa exempt entry and a tourist visa.

Sorry to resurrect the March thread, but it seems there are changes to the exempt visa stay length.  According to a blurb I see on https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ it says that the exempt stay cannot be extended anymore. 

image.png.93977f55a043bb3138b2225caed824c4.png

Can someone confirm if that is true?  Meaning if you want to stay more than 30 days, you have to get a TR visa now?

Also what about the "covid extensions", are they history too?

6 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Can someone confirm if that is true?  Meaning if you want to stay more than 30 days, you have to get a TR visa now?

It is not correct. Just more incorrect info about visa exempt entries on a embassy website. You can apply for a 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry.

6 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Also what about the "covid extensions", are they history too?

They are available now up to November 27th. It is unknown whether they will extend the order for them again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not correct. Just more incorrect info about visa exempt entries on a embassy website. You can apply for a 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry.

Thank you for the input.  So many posts about the authorities' incompetence around here, but sadly this is yet another example, posting flat wrong info on which thousands rely.

So in answer to my own question I started in this thread, I'm thinking with this constant mess the TR option seems safer at the moment for those who plan to stay long.  At least the TR information still officially states 60+30ext and there are no ambiguities there.

Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Thank you for the input.  So many posts about the authorities' incompetence around here, but sadly this is yet another example, posting flat wrong info on which thousands rely.

The problem is that embassies and consulates do not normally have anything to do with visa exempt entries. Immigration sets the rules for them and embassies are under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For example the 30 day extensions of them have been allowed since 2014 when a new immigration order was issued.

14 minutes ago, wn78 said:

So in answer to my own question I started in this thread, I'm thinking with this constant mess the TR option seems safer at the moment for those who plan to stay long. 

The only problem with applying is their requirement to submit a return or onward ticket with the application.

If using the e visa site it is even easier now that they are issuing stickerless visas now. No need to mail in your passport and etc since they send you a email for the visa.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Indeed! And that is the main reason why I really want to hear from someone who have entered Thailand visa exempt over the last five days to know whether they are still getting 45 days on entry, or whether the anticipated reduction back to 30 days has actually happened. Right now, we seem to be relying on embassy websites to assume that it is only 30 days. Previous experience suggests that the embassies have no idea what is actually happening when people arrive in Thailand.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The only problem with applying is their requirement to submit a return or onward ticket with the application.

If using the e visa site it is even easier now that they are issuing stickerless visas now. No need to mail in your passport and etc since they send you a email for the visa.

I think I saw some other discussions on how to get around that.  A fully refundable ticket should do the trick.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, wn78 said:

Sorry to resurrect the March thread, but it seems there are changes to the exempt visa stay length.  According to a blurb I see on https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ it says that the exempt stay cannot be extended anymore. 

image.png.93977f55a043bb3138b2225caed824c4.png

On 10/4/2021 at 9:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

Any new info if people have been able to actually extent exempt entries for another 30 days lately?  As @ubonjoe stated, most likely this was just embassy being misinformed, but it would be nice to hear about the actual experience on the ground.

3 hours ago, wn78 said:

Any new info if people have been able to actually extent exempt entries for another 30 days lately?  As @ubonjoe stated, most likely this was just embassy being misinformed, but it would be nice to hear about the actual experience on the ground.

The embassy website is just plain wrong and out of date by around 7 years when the immigration order was changed to allow the 30 day extensions.

Many people have entered visa exempt and gotten the 30 day extensions.