Man spends nine hours in Chiang Mai restaurant then does runner without paying

webfact

Man spends nine hours in Chiang Mai restaurant then does runner without paying

3pm.jpg

PPTV 36 reported that a male Thai diner at a steak restaurant ate and drank SIX beers for nearly nine hours before he drove off. 

And according to some press reports the staff were left footing much of the bill from their tips fund. 

The man aged about 30-40 arrived at 11 am and left at 7.52 pm. It was recorded on CCTV.

When he had had his fill of food and beer he pretended to go to the toilet but made a diversion to his car in the parking lot.

He then drove off. They called him on the number left on the app at the shop but there was no answer. 

He had tucked into oysters, suki meat, som tam, beef tendon and beers - it all came to 970 baht.

Police were informed and an online post made to try and catch the runner. 

PPTV made it clear that the money had not come from staff salaries to reimburse the restaurant - it came from their tips fund.

Channel 7 also reported on the incident saying that it happened at a restaurant in Saraphi district of Chiang Mai at a gas station. 

One staff member called Khamnor, 24, was sad because she had given the customer great service all day then he did this.

Staff needed to pay between 500 and 600 baht from their tips to pay for his wrong doing, she lamented. 

• Sad 4

Just now, webfact said:

Staff needed to pay between 500 and 600 baht from their tips to pay for his wrong doing, she lamented. 

TIPS ?! I was under the impression tipping was generally non existent, east of suez, and in Thailand not at all. Just another furphy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I can't decide if I'm more angry with the guy doing a runner or the restaurant owner stealing his staff's tip money they earned serving all other customers

Probably the latter. 

Anyway it's this place:  https://goo.gl/maps/z6nduWjiPvPhm3AN8 

Standard Chinese Thai owner attitude. Over a period of 20 years I paid more than 200,000 BAHT for damage caused by my staff to equipment, company cars etc. Yes stupid farang attitude owner.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Same same, the business owner takes money from his employees to cover his losses, even though it's not their fault

Is it the owners fault? Unfortunately standard practice in THailand unless the owner is a stupid foreigner like me. 

• Confused 2

On 3/11/2021 at 9:28 AM, LomSak27 said:

TIPS ?! I was under the impression tipping was generally non existent, east of suez, and in Thailand not at all. Just another furphy. 

not sure what a furphy is but tips are usually a matter of leaving the change and depending upon the service adding a bit more too. Good service is rewarded... and prized though tipping is not necessarily the custom.. but look around, there are tip jars near everywhere, even at my dentist... 

Tips are surely appreciated.. I can and so I do..

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 3/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

PPTV made it clear that the money had not come from staff salaries to reimburse the restaurant - it came from their tips fund.

So, the tips fund is not considered part of the wait-persons salary? Jeez, anything so the owner is not penalized equally!