Google Fi

wn78

Google Fi includes international data that works in Thailand.  It looks tempting to have single service and one number that works in the US, Thailand, and many other countries in Asia and Europe.

Did anyone try it and how does it stand up to the local 4G providers in terms of quality:

- is it full 4G speed?

- how is the coverage outside Bangkok?  what about the islands?

- are Skype calls smooth and clear?

- is it stable and does not drop the connection unexpectedly?

- does the hotspot work well?

Edited by wn78

2 hours ago, wn78 said:

Did anyone try it and how does it stand up to the local 4G providers in terms of quality:

You will no doubt be piggybacking off the networks of the local 4G providers, so your quality will be identical or worse depending on Google's contracts with them. Why complicate matters ....data is cheap here...and it works.

• Like 2

Google FI doesn't have there own networks, it's simply based on roaming, so in Thailand you will use either AIS, True or Dtac.

In general it sounds way overpriced compared to local Thailand packages. Might make sense if you hop from one country to another every week, for other cases probably not.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Seen many reports elsewhere (travel forums, tech forums). Most are very positive. I think Fi has roaming agreements with all three roviders here.

For someone based in the U.S., who travels a lot internationally it's definitely a good deal. And people can reach you on yor one known number.

All depends on your travel patterns, budget and requirements.

Obviously, if you're based in Thailand and jsut need local calling and data then a local SIM should be fine.

I'd just Google "Google Fi Thailand". 

You should get LTE pretty much everywhere. There are some blind spots, especially in remote/mountainous/rural areas.

If Skype calls work for you elsewhere acceptably they'll be the same here.

Is "what" stable? SKYPE? Mobile data? I'd say yeah, to both.

Mobile AP (hotpsot), using your phone as a WiFi to 4G modem/router works if the phone supports it. The feature is standard here for mobile providers, it is not a feature with is billed extra.

• Thanks 1

Just make sure you activate in the US before you go and realize that if you need to reactivate (For instance if you use eSIM and you switch phones), you can't do it abroad.  I'm having a friend at home activate for me, then mailing the SIM here.  Would prefer an eSIM but impossible to activate here since Google changed their rules a year or so ago.

Another GF tip: You can turn it off and on and usage is prorated.  So if you just need a USA number for those pesky SMS notifications, turn on, get the SMS, turn off, and you're charged down to the minute level it seems.  My bill was like $.02 last month (as I tried yet again to activate via sSIM).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theWTD said:

Another GF tip: You can turn it off and on and usage is prorated.  So if you just need a USA number for those pesky SMS notifications, turn on, get the SMS, turn off, and you're charged down to the minute level it seems.  My bill was like $.02 last month (as I tried yet again to activate via sSIM).

That's interesting info, thanks.  Their plans are monthly.  So are you saying they charge for usage-months, not calendar-months?  

On 3/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, theWTD said:

Another GF tip: You can turn it off and on and usage is prorated. 

Repeatedly pausing Fi is a violation of our Terms of Service.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en

Review the terms and conditions for your specific plan. Then read about billing issues.

It you are relocating to Thailand consider getting a Google Voice number, before you leave. You can also port in an exisitng number to GV.

Lot's of detail here, and elsewhere on this forum, re: getting an inexpensive mobile number for use here. Star with the most recent posts/pages.

Regarding "Pausing Service" and what TheWTD posted:

Pausing Service is not the same thing as just turning the phone off and back on to occasionally check for SMS messages or voicemail.

To Pause Service you have to go into your account settings and select Pause Service. If you just leave your phone turned off most of the time you will still get your monthly bill. I have the minimum plan where I pay $20/month but does not include any data which is biiled at $10/GB.

Before leaving the US and returning to Thailand one month ago I called and talked to a Google Fi customer Service Rep. I explained that I would like to keep my Google Fi account open while overseas for at least a year and described how I intended to use it.

I will only turn it on occasionally to check for SMS or voice messages or if I know I am supposed to receive one. I will only use the phone at home where it will be connected to my WiFi.

Google Fi rep said that would be fine and my account would not be terminated. Bottom line is if you aren't costing them money they don't have a problem letting you keep your account.

Yes, of course you can turn the phone off and on without impacting your service contract.

However, you still have to pay the monthly fee.

In the thread I linked you'll see that some providers, like USMobile, offer WiFi calling, which facilitates use here in Thailand. As does Google Fi... https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6157793?hl=en

Other use a U.S. SIM which allows international roaming, which works in Thailand for receiveing 2FA texts.

And others report success using VoIP providers, like Google Voice.

It would help if people explain exactly which Google Fi plan they are considering. And what their requirements/budget are.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, Smokin Joe said:

If you just leave your phone turned off most of the time you will still get your monthly bill.

I will only turn it on occasionally to check for SMS or voice messages or if I know I am supposed to receive one. I will only use the phone at home where it will be connected to my WiFi.

Google Fi rep said that would be fine and my account would not be terminated. Bottom line is if you aren't costing them money they don't have a problem letting you keep your account.

Will you be only using Wi-Fi to check for SMS?  Does Fi allow getting SMS over Wi-Fi?  Meaning you will be pausing your service for a year and not getting any bills?  

Edited by wn78

25 minutes ago, wn78 said:

Will you be only using Wi-Fi to check for SMS?  Does Fi allow getting SMS over Wi-Fi?  Meaning you will be pausing your service for a year and not getting any bills?  

I am not pausing my service. I believe that would completely shut it down. No bills during that time but not able to receive SMS or voicemail. Also pausing service can only be done for a three month period. I won't return to the US for at least one year.

I'm just leaving the phone turned off most of the time but will still be billed for the basic service but won't have any data usage and it won't be used to make or receive calls. Monthly cost $20 plus a couple of dollars in taxes as long as I only use Wifi.

I did turn it on last week to receive an SMS. AFAIK my phone uses WiFi when it connects to receive the SMS messages. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

I'm just leaving the phone turned off most of the time but will still be billed for the basic service but won't have any data usage and it won't be used to make or receive calls. Monthly cost $20 plus a couple of dollars in taxes as long as I only use Wifi

Ok I'm clear now.  You are still billed for the basic service at $20/month.  That makes sense.  But still not sure why you need Wi-Fi for SMS.  (edited) Ok, I see, Google must be using Wi-Fi calling to get SMS over WiFi.

Pricing wise, the unlimited plan at $70/mo is on par with other US carriers.  The basic plan of $20 + $10/GB is overpriced. For the same $30-40/mo you can get way more GBs from AT&T.  Only makes sense if you use little and do country-hopping a lot.  The service does not cover phone calls when you travel.  When traveling, your calls to/from US numbers are charged at 20c/min, they are considered international calls.  Not sure about the SMS.

Edited by wn78

If you're relocating to Thailand for more than a few months then there are a whole lot of things you should be considering, and setting up, before you leave.

Set-up a Google Voice account. There is some synergy between GV and GFi, think you can forward between the two, maybe access GFi messages from GV (Android or PC).  https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Consdier a USMobile SIm and account: https://www.usmobile.com/plans scroll down to build your own. You can get a plan for a few dollars per month (no data). They offer WiFi calling/texts, which will work here.

Consider porting out to GV, any extra lines you might have.

Consider setting up a new low cost prepaid SIM, then port that out to Google Voice.

Make sure any numbers are registered with banks, credit card companies, etc.

Voice calls and SMSes are delivered when using VoWiFi.

15 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

AFAIK my phone uses WiFi when it connects to receive the SMS messages. 

It may. It may be roaming on a partner GSM network. It should be easy to figure out.

No need to turn off the phone, simply disable mobile data if you're worried about using up your data cap.

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Consider porting out to GV, any extra lines you might have.

Consider setting up a new low cost prepaid SIM, then port that out to Google Voice.

By porting you mean forwarding your GV number to your SIM number, I presume.  

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Consdier a USMobile SIm and account: https://www.usmobile.com/plans scroll down to build your own. You can get a plan for a few dollars per month (no data). They offer WiFi calling/texts, which will work here.

Thanks for pointing me to US Mobile.  Looks like they also include free international data with their unlimited plan, and reasonably priced add-ons for other plans.  Something to investigate as an alternative to GF.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:52 PM, jackdd said:

In general it sounds way overpriced compared to local Thailand packages. Might make sense if you hop from one country to another every week, for other cases probably not.

I love it for that very reason.  I use it in the USA, and had a seamless transition on my visits to Thailand and China, with no surprises for roaming phone service or roaming data.  No action required on my part when the plane landed.

Here in the USA, it's pretty competitive (even as a Covid refugee, unable to travel international) and it gloms me onto the most favorable network instead of being tied to only one.

But you're right.  If I was just in Thailand, it's more expensive than locally available plans. 

Edit:  I'd add that I tried to sign up when I lived in Thailand, but needed a USA address to qualify.  I'm not sure whether that's changed in the last few years.

Edited by impulse

10 hours ago, wn78 said:

By porting you mean forwarding your GV number to your SIM number, I presume.  

No.

Porting refers to moving one's ten digit number from one provider to another provider. See Local Number Portability.

(Note that Google Voice does offer many options, including the ability to forward calls to another number.)

10 hours ago, wn78 said:

Thanks for pointing me to US Mobile. 

See this thread for details re: USMobile, and other options. It seems like one of the best newer options, esp. for 2FA. And you may be able to boost a package if you have a return trip (unsure on this ability, or if it can be done short-term, then reverted?).

Just click on the graphic...

I needed Fi as my USA bank needs 2-step verification, and of course, they can't do anything but USA numbers. I bought a new Samsung a year ago with three slots (two SIM, one SD) and thought it would be fine, but, no. I put the Fi on "no data" but still, when using the Samsung as a hot spot for my laptop, the mobile with go to Fi for no reason at any time. The people at AIS at Central could not fix this...pain in the butt, and ALSO, I can receive SMS on the Fi number, but when someone calls, it goes to voicemail, and I can't make outgoing calls using Fi without TAKING OUT THE AIS sim card...pain in the butt and now that my bank can do (66) numbers, I think that's it for my experiment. I may just pause the service for 3 months, as return to USA could happen, and there, Fi is great as I live here and only visit USA. Also, it's expensive, but no other choices out there for what they offer.

50 minutes ago, RayFaye said:

I may just pause the service for 3 months, as return to USA could happen

You could also port out your GFi number to Google Voice, assuming you want to keep the number, but no longer want GFi service.

And I think you can direct GFi calls and texts (in-bound) to GV.

3 hours ago, RayFaye said:

I bought a new Samsung a year ago with three slots (two SIM, one SD)...

Purchased in Thailand?

For the 2 factor issue, the thread you've been given a link for offers many free and cheap (from $3/month) options.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:32 AM, mtls2005 said:

It you are relocating to Thailand consider getting a Google Voice number, before you leave. You can also port in an exisitng number to GV.

Haha the reason I need the part-time Google Fi is more and more services won't send an SMS to my Google Voice Account!

Edited by theWTD

20 hours ago, theWTD said:

more and more services won't send an SMS to my Google Voice Account!

Can you give an example, or three (more and more sound like more than one)?

If you ported GFi to GV it would still show as a valid mobile number - I don't believe these claims that numbers are scrubbed beyond the first tranche issuance.

But if you're happy with what you got then obviously stick with it.

Years ago, a few 2FA entities seemed to have issues with GV. In the past few years I have not encountered any issues, across 40+ 2FA requirements. Others here have reported issues but no entity ever identified. I use 2FA with GV every single day for three difierent services. Some days it's a lot more.

I do maintain a really cheap T-Mo pre-paid (grandfathered $3/day plan- only charged when used, $10 every 90 days to maintain expiry), and Talkatone, as back-ups. Working on getting a USMobile SIM as well, but no real hurry.

Edited by mtls2005

On 3/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, mtls2005 said:

If you ported GFi to GV it would still show as a valid mobile number - I don't believe these claims that numbers are scrubbed beyond the first tranche issuance.

Chase doesn't work and never has.  Citi seems like it works for a few months then it will stop working again.

Half the crypto places I try to sign up for don't work as the number get ID'd as "VOIP".  More and more online services are flagging it as invalid.  Can't even signup for services.  That's whats pushing me to having the number. 

I signed up for Fi then rolled the number to  Google Voice and it didn't work still with these services.  I suppose I could port another number to Google Voice and see if that works.  Having the GoogleFI will be the best solution though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, mtls2005 said:

1.  USAA Bank....Google Voice (GV) and other VOIP-based numbers like Magic Jack, TextNow, etc., is now allowed/offered for 2FA & adding an external transfer acct, but can still be used to receive general info text.  

2.  US Bank...will not accept/validate a VOIP-based number like GV

3.  Defense Finance Accounting Agency (DFAS) who pay military active duty/military retirement:  will not accept/validate a VOIP-based number like GV number.

Fortunately, above institutions offer other ways to get a 2FA code like email, security token on their mobile banking app, security questions, etc.  But when you run into some task where only a mobile number is accepted you are SOL with a VOIP-based number.

Seems strange institutions will still allow email for 2FA but not a "VOIP-based" number like GV, Magic Jack, TextNow, etc.    I guess many still  allow email because they know many people don't have ready access to a mobile number for various reasons.  The Social Security Agency a few years ago briefly tried to switch to 2FA via mobile number "only" but that created an uproar probably from the older folks and then the SSA reversed themselves and allow either email or mobile number for 2FA.

• Like 1

Just notice a significant typo above.....one word should have been "not" vs "now"....corrected version below. 

1.  USAA Bank....Google Voice (GV) and other VOIP-based numbers like Magic Jack, TextNow, etc., are not allowed/offered for 2FA & adding an external transfer acct, but can still be used to receive general info text.