House - Variations On Design

meaowma

I recently engaged a builder to construct a 500m2 house for me in Pattaya and it is nearing completion. The builder did the usual thing of getting the plans approved by the authorities quickly and work started.

I have made a rather big change by adding an extra room which changes the external shape and size of the house by about 10% and made some changes to the locations of external house walls – all in all it is quite different to the approved plans.

Can anyone tell me what may happen if the authorities get to hear of this and rather more important what can I now do to make sure there are no comebacks or penalties or as the builder told me “the government may knock the house down as it is not like the approved drawings”

I recently engaged a builder to construct a 500m2 house for me in Pattaya and it is nearing completion. The builder did the usual thing of getting the plans approved by the authorities quickly and work started.

I have made a rather big change by adding an extra room which changes the external shape and size of the house by about 10% and made some changes to the locations of external house walls – all in all it is quite different to the approved plans.

Can anyone tell me what may happen if the authorities get to hear of this and rather more important what can I now do to make sure there are no comebacks or penalties or as the builder told me "the government may knock the house down as it is not like the approved drawings"

The original plans should have been signed by both an architect and a licensed civil engineer, and lodged with Pattaya City Hall to obtain the original building permit. It seems that the main things they check are not particularly structural integrity but more like ensuring you are not encroaching adjoing land, you meet building spacing regulations, drainage, access etc.

If your modifications have significantly changed these plans it is a simple case to fill out a form at City Hall and register the new design. The new design should be re-approved by a licensed engineer, but this does not have to be the same person as the first drawings. City Hall can also provide this service for you for a small (??) cost.

You should really follow this route to ensure you are perfectly legal etc. and that no future neighbours or "evil" wishers can come and lodge a complaint against you and possibly be served a demolition order (possible worst case scenario).

It really isn't difficult but the wheels of turn slowly at City Hall - a little bit of grease often helps :o

choc dii