Electronics In Chiang Mai

007dave

I'm new to town and the family TV just died. I've thought to have it replaired but since it is over 13 years old it may be time to purchase a new one. Where is a good place to buy a TV in Chiang Mai? Any help is welcome.

Dave

I hhhdislike Niyom Panich with a passion.

I greatly prefer Siam TV / Electronic Plaza inside the Old Town area; all taxi/red bus drivers know it.

Alternatively, just Carrefour/Big C/Tesco. In their business model the customer doesn't instantly turn into dust after parting with his money..

Unlike N i y o m f c u k i n g P a n i c h . . . .

Edited by chanchao

Far from me would it be to praise Niyom Panich too much, but to balance things up, they've been ok with after sales service of our air conditioning units so far.

There was some monkey business from their part when buying our car though - to their credit, the sales person we dealt with was kicked out when this came to their attention.

If time is not crucial, I would take the time to check out what both Tesco Lotus, Carrefour and Niyom Panich as well as Siam TV have on offer before deciding.

Just curious as to why that is. I've only bought from them the one item and they even let me put it on payment plan. If there is something I'm missing, would like to know before I decide to buy there again. Unless you are referring to the auto dealer, then I can see it.

Never personally bought any big ticket items from any of the above. But a few of my long term resident friends here in CM swear by Siam Electronics in the Old Town. I read an article (infomercial?) in BK Post last year about how this independent operator has been able to not only hold his own against the Big Boys, but has actually prospered and expanded. They offer very large selection, immediate delivery and have very competitive pricing. I was in once to shop big screen TVs; they have pretty much every brand in every price range. OP, let us know where you end up buying, and post the results- I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. :o

Edited by mcgriffith

Hi,

What is the requirements at these places for credit?

I am after a cheap projector (Budget model), but do not have the ready cash to buy one outright at the moment. I have a Thai friend who can put it in her name, but she has no bank records to prove any earnings.....

Any ideas?

Phil

Never personally bought any big ticket items from any of the above. But a few of my long term resident friends here in CM swear by Siam Electronics in the Old Town. I read an article (infomercial?) in BK Post last year about how this independent operator has been able to not only hold his own against the Big Boys, but has actually prospered and expanded. They offer very large selection, immediate delivery and have very competitive pricing. I was in once to shop big screen TVs; they have pretty much every brand in every price range. OP, let us know where you end up buying, and post the results- I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. :D

Agreed, Siam Tv is the place to go. I've been shopping there for all of my years here. Good sales and service. :o

Hi,

What is the requirements at these places for credit?

I am after a cheap projector (Budget model), but do not have the ready cash to buy one outright at the moment. I have a Thai friend who can put it in her name, but she has no bank records to prove any earnings.....

Any ideas?

Phil

In my case my wife co-signed the credit agreement and she only had to show her ID card (perhaps tambian bahn also, can't recall).

I have purchased from both Niyom Panich and Electronic Plaza/Siam TV. Had both good and bad experiences with both. Heavily recommend over the supermarkets though. They have almost no service at all.

I greatly prefer Siam TV / Electronic Plaza inside the Old Town area; all taxi/red bus drivers know it.

Alternatively, just Carrefour/Big C/Tesco. In their business model the customer doesn't instantly turn into dust after parting with his money..

I have bought a total of five motorcycles from them, a television set, a refridgerator, microwave, and sundry items. I have never had any issues with them at the time of sale, for delivery, or service on the items.

My only problem was when I bought the two CBR motorbikes from them the first time:

1) they were a bit peeved that I took both models as they were unpacking them for display

2) they didn't have anyone (then) who spoke English so generally ignored me and hoped I would go away. Now they have quite a few sales people who speak English and if you speak Thai it makes it easier.

CB

Well, yes, though they are at least approaching Western standards when you want to return the item within x days and get your money back. Try that at Niyom Panich.

I don't think anyone services items like TV's anyway; if they go wrong they ship them to the manufacturer's repair center and that's it.

Unfortunately, Thailand is infected with the Japanese model of fair trade pricing, where the manufacturer controls the retail price, thus price shopping for a new T.V. is a waste of time. All the promotions and "sales" are all shared by all the manufacturers outlets city wide.

Big store appliance sales are good but it is the salesman that ends up installing. Follow up service is problematic.

Siam T.V. has the best rep and best follow up service. Niyom Panit and his brother Sarah Panit are pretty much the same, but have service departments, but outside of automotive, not all we would like.

I read the BKK post article also, and if true, Siam Plaza made their rep on service and customer satisfaction. They are tied into UBC somehow, as payment at UBC next door are made at the Siam Plaza Cashier.

My next T.V. will be bought from Siam T.V..

Bought from both Siam TV and Niyom and both been OK.

At the big stores like Lotus Big C etc, generally reckon on no after sales service as far as I have heard. So if you reckon you can get something cheap enough and don't care if it breaks might be OK. Remeber to try it out consistently over the 7 day return period and you should be Ok for some things.

I bought my last fridge from PowerBuy at Airport Plaza. The same size fridge elsewhere was 4,000 Bt more so I reckoned it was worth the gamble and I know a guy who fixes A/C and fridges.

I normally go for Siam TV but it does pay to have a look around first.

Oh and with all these places you can ask for discount. My husband won't let me do the buying because I always say OK straight away if the price is good. He normally gets it about 500-1000Bt cheaper!

i would check out all places for different prices. carrefour, powerbuy, lotus, big-c for the particular brand that i am looking at. and then focus which model i want. whichever is the cheapest, thats where i buy it from. service? to hel_l with service. its gonna be serviced at the service center anyways. none of these stores would service it themselves. i wouldn't want them to service it anyways. so any problems with the tv set or whatever, go straight to the company that actually distributes them locally in chiang mai and services clients. much faster turnaround time too.

let me re-iterate how fckedup siam tv is, especially their UBC, True Vision branch.

my personal favorite is powerbuy though. their prices can be cheaper that most of the competition. check them out.

My vote goes to the guys at Siam TV. Hard to find, ask for "Technic College" inner city, close to three kings "sam Krasat(sp)", most locals will point you in the right direction from there.

My last experience with Siam TV was not so good. I purchased an expensive combi oven from them and found that it was impossible to cook in. On testing, it never reached the temperature set and the temperature rose and fell by almost 35% several times over the cooking period. I took it back and, after three months of to'ing and fro'ing, including corresponding with Toshiba Bangkok and Japan, was told nothing was wrong with it. "It was doing what it was supposed to do."

Despite best efforts to get them to accept responsibility I have got nowhere and am many tens of thousands of Baht out of pocket.

I now have a very expensive cupboard on the side in my kitchen, that the maids put dishes of food to keep them away from the ants.

So beware and make sure you get a proper guarantee with the goods you buy.

Siam TV are pathetic as far as I am concerned. I bought a plasma TV 18 months ago from them for 140,000 baht and it recently packed up. The warranty was only for 1 year off course. It was sent to Toshiba in BKK and they wanted 35,000 to repair, what a joke. When I asked how a TV could pack up after only such a short period of time they said I must have been watching too much TV (Thai logic)!! They laughed at me when I said that I wanted 20% discount on a replacement TV. I also had a bad experience with a Sony Ericsson from them, went backwards and forwards to BKK for 6 months every time it came back they said it was okay and within days it was U/S. A Sony home theatre purchased from them only lasted 3 months, place is a bloody joke.

Once bought a TV from Niyom Phanich that actually had discoloration on the corners. (Blue screen would show purple in the corners). Noticed this right away, but even the very next day they wouldn't take it back.

In the end I was allowed to change it to another model, but only one that was higher priced than the one I got. I.e. they have a policy of never, EVER giving money back.

Unlike the hypermarkets. Plenty of times I've gotten money (or vouchers) back from them, and with less hassle overall; they actually have a defined customer service & returns policy.

Since then I vowed to never ever buy from Niyom Phanich again, and that includes Toyotas at both Niyom and Saha Phanich. Since the new non-Niyom Phanich Toyota dealer opened they're now at least an option again.

Once bought a TV from Niyom Phanich that actually had discoloration on the corners. (Blue screen would show purple in the corners). Noticed this right away, but even the very next day they wouldn't take it back.

In the end I was allowed to change it to another model, but only one that was higher priced than the one I got. I.e. they have a policy of never, EVER giving money back.

I bought a microwave there which was not as expected - should have had a convection option. Took it back in its box with the receipt. They didn't have the correct model, the one I payed for was more that the one I actually got. They offered to give me a credit voucher but it would take a couple of months to get a new one so I took the cash. Not a problem, I have found that if you give a valid reason, have the necessary paperwork, and are polite they are very accomodating.

Unlike the hypermarkets. Plenty of times I've gotten money (or vouchers) back from them, and with less hassle overall; they actually have a defined customer service & returns policy.

CarreFour and Tesco are good but not any different to the others.

Since then I vowed to never ever buy from Niyom Phanich again, and that includes Toyotas at both Niyom and Saha Phanich. Since the new non-Niyom Phanich Toyota dealer opened they're now at least an option again.

Always the perojative of the purchaser to take their money to wherever they feel comfortable spending it. I understand your statements and accept it but your experience is very different to mine.

CB

To sum for the OP, for every good report on any outlet thiers a bad one,everyone has thier favourite place just look around at the places suggested see what suits you.

Personally i get all my electrical gear from Siam TV and never had a problem, enjoy your look round :o

Siam TV are pathetic as far as I am concerned. I bought a plasma TV 18 months ago from them for 140,000 baht and it recently packed up. The warranty was only for 1 year off course. It was sent to Toshiba in BKK and they wanted 35,000 to repair, what a joke. When I asked how a TV could pack up after only such a short period of time they said I must have been watching too much TV (Thai logic)!! They laughed at me when I said that I wanted 20% discount on a replacement TV. I also had a bad experience with a Sony Ericsson from them, went backwards and forwards to BKK for 6 months every time it came back they said it was okay and within days it was U/S. A Sony home theatre purchased from them only lasted 3 months, place is a bloody joke.

In the UK, you would have a good case under consumer law for "Goods not fit for purpose". Electronic items, regardless of warranty, should last you for a reasonable (period varies according to your judge!) amount of time. 1 year is simply not good enough!

However, TIT! Myself, I would send a recorded delivery letter to Toshiba to their customer relations department, explaining that the goods you were sold were not fit for purpose as they did not work for much longer than a year.

In my experience as a Consumer Champion (My own self-title), I have written many such letters to these big corporations when I have been screwed over. And 9 times out of 10, they have either put right the problem, or gone one step further with additional equipment/food/vouchers etc.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not a born complainer, but after being royally taken for a ride by a few big UK corporations, I decided to not let these big corporations get the better of me! They have customer relations departments, and you should make use of them. Although, I know that sometimes that will get you nowhere!

Worth a recorded letter though?

Phil

• 3 years later...

In the UK, you would have a good case under consumer law for "Goods not fit for purpose". Electronic items, regardless of warranty, should last you for a reasonable (period varies according to your judge!) amount of time. 1 year is simply not good enough!

However, TIT! Myself, I would send a recorded delivery letter to Toshiba to their customer relations department, explaining that the goods you were sold were not fit for purpose as they did not work for much longer than a year.

In my experience as a Consumer Champion (My own self-title), I have written many such letters to these big corporations when I have been screwed over. And 9 times out of 10, they have either put right the problem, or gone one step further with additional equipment/food/vouchers etc.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not a born complainer, but after being royally taken for a ride by a few big UK corporations, I decided to not let these big corporations get the better of me! They have customer relations departments, and you should make use of them. Although, I know that sometimes that will get you nowhere!

Worth a recorded letter though?

Phil

BGB

I always check prices at Power Buy first and generally find them significantly lower (saved 2500 baht on a 10000 baht washing machine this week!). We purchase our Samsung from them and have been satisfied with all other products, large or small.

It's worth checking out HomePro as well. They gave us a better deal on a Samsung Series 5 TV than Siam TV was able to do. Haven't had to get any service but so far HomePro seems pretty helpful on other things.

It's worth checking out HomePro as well. They gave us a better deal on a Samsung Series 5 TV than Siam TV was able to do. Haven't had to get any service but so far HomePro seems pretty helpful on other things.

All the shops have the same models, comparison shopping can save you 1000 or 2000 baht on a TV - just check all of the big shops, Siam TV (new near the moat), PowerBuy/Central KSK, Robinson @ Central Airport (is that a PowerBuy too?), HomePro...

Siam TV has a 7 day return policy which is quite handy. I had a DOA Samsung, drove it back after I noticed it didn't turn on, and was handed a new one on the spot. In and out in 15 minutes. So I can't say anything bad about them.

If the warranty expired you are SOL in Thailand with any shop, and pretty much any manufacturer too.

Lot of talk about Siam . They have moved and are now on the south outside of the old city right across from the moat. Not to far east of the ding dong hospital.

Can't comment on them bought a TV and refrigerator from them a few years ago. They delivered and hooked the TV up. I was satisfied with the service and have had no reason to go back to them Other than the other day my electric razor packed it in and I checked around and found the same model at Robinson for less money.