Banana Plantation

Flow

Hi Flow, I hope bananas are profitable, we just planted 710 on 6 rai!!

This would give you approx 165/170 plants on 1.5 rai at 3 mtr sq spacing,

We bought 515 plants at 7bht each, plus haulage costs of 3 family pick-ups,

The others we bought local, from 3bht a plant, we have 5 varieties now,

Thats the initial cost done with, next stage is land prep, 3 weeks ago, had a local tractor man churn over the soil with his disc plough, 200bht per rai, He came back 2 days before we got plants and done it again, same price, next day, he came again and done 750 holes with an auger attachment for 5bht per hole, this save a lot on labour by the way,,

Next day, 4 blokes put in the plants, 120bht each, then we had to extend the irrigation system because it hadnt rained for a few days, about 2.500 bht, but hopefully it will rain everyday to save electricty costs on the pumps.

Acording to the locals they should start producing in 4 months, and market prices are low then, between 7/9bht per hand because of the rainy season, apparantly it can double that in the dry season, but you must have irrigation to keep plants producing.

If bananas is the way you are going, now is the best time to do it, the rainy season will help them get established, give them a little 50-50-50 fertililizer now and again, handfull of pig/cow shit if available helps too, perhaps you first crop takings will cover your intial outlay,

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/banana.html this is a banana website, have a look,

Gool luck Flow, hope all goes well for you, Lickey.

Thanks for the input, mate. Whereabouts in Thailand are you based if I may ask?

Is there a variety you recommend that sells best in Thai markets?

I havne't started yet. I am just getting different ideas together.

Hi Flow, I hope bananas are profitable, we just planted 710 on 6 rai!!

This would give you approx 165/170 plants on 1.5 rai at 3 mtr sq spacing,

We bought 515 plants at 7bht each, plus haulage costs of 3 family pick-ups,

The others we bought local, from 3bht a plant, we have 5 varieties now,

Thats the initial cost done with, next stage is land prep, 3 weeks ago, had a local tractor man churn over the soil with his disc plough, 200bht per rai, He came back 2 days before we got plants and done it again, same price, next day, he came again and done 750 holes with an auger attachment for 5bht per hole, this save a lot on labour by the way,,

Next day, 4 blokes put in the plants, 120bht each, then we had to extend the irrigation system because it hadnt rained for a few days, about 2.500 bht, but hopefully it will rain everyday to save electricty costs on the pumps.

Acording to the locals they should start producing in 4 months, and market prices are low then, between 7/9bht per hand because of the rainy season, apparantly it can double that in the dry season, but you must have irrigation to keep plants producing.

If bananas is the way you are going, now is the best time to do it, the rainy season will help them get established, give them a little 50-50-50 fertililizer now and again, handfull of pig/cow shit if available helps too, perhaps you first crop takings will cover your intial outlay,

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/banana.html this is a banana website, have a look,

Gool luck Flow, hope all goes well for you, Lickey.

Flow, we are in NE issan, Namsom, about 50 k to Laos, I did speak with missus today about your query, she told me name of plant that would sell well in your area, How she knows i dont know? but she is an issan farm girl! she also tells me, after 1st crop on each plant, cut off top ,1 mtr from ground, and you can also sell the leaves, albeit cheaply to traders who make the little parcels with rice ect, will get back to you with name of plant asap, Cheers..

Sorry for the wait Flow, both the above posters are right, Gluoy hom and Gluay nam wan are the most popular, luckily, mrs has planted both,

Good luck with your venture, nothing like getting a return for your investment, cheers, Lickey..