Apple Mac Pro 2008 - Any ideas ok resale value?

PMZ

I have a Mac Pro 2008 edition.

it has an additional 4Gb of RAM installed and several hard drives, 360Gb, 1TB, 2Tb.

it’s on perfect running order, so I am considering selling, but I have no idea of its  current value or even where I might best sell it (Pantip springs to mind).
Any ideas on value and sale location?

50A947A7-F3EE-4EB1-B586-1766162A392E.jpeg

739708B2-59CA-4B33-8A0E-786D305C4587.jpeg

41C4ADCE-3D61-4279-AEA2-71A7ADB657C7.jpeg

19EBDD63-7314-4983-AF22-67AF5B4B2777.jpeg

696A106A-563E-43B0-91BD-F225279CB9D9.jpeg

B63C5BFC-CA04-4F81-925A-9CB27E9270C5.jpeg

EA704B16-E0B1-4718-9ED8-B035B6B44832.jpeg

DB3F76DC-1678-442F-9AEB-A10D69C945EC.jpeg

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

35k for a 12 year old Mac. You're having a giraffe.

It's crazy how much Apple products retain value in Thailand... Then again what else do you expect?

Flashy, plastic, obsessoin with appearing rich/Hi-so. This is Thailand????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

They might be asking that, but they aren’t getting the prices.

There are also machines that haven’t sold for 9k.

I have an old MacBook here, it still runs OK, but I spent a bit of money upgrading the RAM about 4 years ago, now that is becoming painfully slow. The OP hasn’t mentioned the processor and it’s only got 4GB RAM, which would mean money spent upgrading that before it would be any good for anything other than web browsing. 

But, I would love to have one, they look great! 

Edited by recom273

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

To who....yourself?

Yeah man, reminds me of a time when you would see them in every top design and recording studio .. I’m not sure what you can even do with them now, put an old version or photoshop or illustrator. 
i certainly wouldn’t be paying 32K for something that a M1 mini can do about xx times faster at 19K.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

It's crazy how much Apple products retain value in Thailand... Then again what else do you expect?

You are totally off base with that comment, in many countries Apple products keep a remarkably high resale value. I won’t speculate why that is but a useful  life of at least double the windows machine is normal.

FWIW my main e-mail machine is over 10 years old and is running 24/7/365

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

I wouldn't limit that practice to only Apple  products.     I once went to a second hand store in a large Issan city and was gobsmacked at the asking prices for items I considered to be  pure junk.

Thailand seems to be a country of perpetually high resale values or rather prices.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are totally off base with that comment, in many countries Apple products keep a remarkably high resale value. I won’t speculate why that is but a useful  life of at least double the windows machine is normal.

FWIW my main e-mail machine is over 10 years old and is running 24/7/365

Not really - the technology is ancient. That’s why if you go to the “west” you’ll find the same machines in a junk yard or very very cheap.

Could you imagine spending over 1000 US dollars on a 13 year old Apple product in the US? 

That’s not to say they aren’t well made - I own several Apple products. Double the life of a windows machine easily. That being said 13 years is a bit too old - you’d have to replace most of it to be useful today. 

The prices are inflated here because it’s seen as a hi-so / expensive product. 

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Not really - the technology is ancient. That’s why if you go to the “west” you’ll find the same machines in a junk yard or very very cheap.

Could you imagine spending over 1000 US dollars on a 13 year old Apple product in the US? 

That’s not to say they aren’t well made - I own several Apple products. Double the life of a windows machine easily. That being said 13 years is a bit too old - you’d have to replace most of it to be useful today. 

The prices are inflated here because it’s seen as a hi-so / expensive product. 

Again you’re incorrect, the used prices here are not significantly higher than in the countries I’ve been to.

Your assessment of the useful life is also wrong depending on the original specifications there is little that needs to be changed. But of course that varies depending on your definition of it being useful. My MacMini is still doing what I want it to. It isn’t my main computer but it has had no parts replaced and just keeps on keeping on.

48 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Again you’re incorrect, the used prices here are not significantly higher than in the countries I’ve been to.

Your assessment of the useful life is also wrong depending on the original specifications there is little that needs to be changed. But of course that varies depending on your definition of it being useful. My MacMini is still doing what I want it to. It isn’t my main computer but it has had no parts replaced and just keeps on keeping on.

Then you've never lived in Europe or the US.

This is the UK's biggest second hand chain. Price; 135 GBP - 5,800 THB. You can pick up a macbook pro only a couple of years old for 250GBP, around 10k THB.

They only hold their value so much in places they are deemed to be valuable.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sdesappmbp3181c&categoryName=desktops-apple-mac&superCatName=computing&title=apple-mac-pro-3-1-2x-e5462-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd%2B640gb-hdd-hd-2600-dvd-rw-c

Who buys a 13 year old computer for over 1000 USD? Servicing will be difficult, lifespan is drastically reduced, possibly outdated sotware, unable to take advantage of the latest and basic current technology. Security is also an issue with older computers running older versions of programs without the latest security patches.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 2

0 baht for someone who wants equipment that will run today's software and will offer reliability for the next 2-4 years. It is good maybe  for secondary school student to do emails and basic homework, provided there is option for regular backup. It is good if one wants an unsecure system just to access internet. For anyone else, they would be an idiot to purchase. The equipment will fail.

The lifespan of today's laptop/desktop is 4-5 years maximum. Parts wear out, software requirements change and what was good 3 years ago is often inadequate today. There is a reason why companies that rely on desktop stations and  laptops for workers change their equipment at a regular interval. Mac has a built in obsolescence. If it did not, no one would replace the equipment.

Yes there are exceptions, and some people are still running old internet explorer browser or have not removed Adobe Flash player from systems, but these are the people who then wonder why they have virus or why the system crashed. I kept my old Mac laptop for 5 years because it was for work. It started falling apart after year 3. I replaced with another macbook, but that will be my last as I transition to the new tablets which offer as  much capability as my original mac book.

I am upgrading my PC from i5 5th generation with 8 gb RAM to i9 current generation with 32 gb Ram and Nvidia high end card and only expect this to last 4 years until obsolete. 

The problem isn't so much dated hardware as software,

newer OS's probably can't be installed do to hardware incompatibility,

The older OS probably isn't supported anymore, but the machine can still be used simply for browsing or simple word doc applications, storage for old media, or as a dedicated machine for a particular legacy program you still use.

• Like 1

You wouldn't want it. It's nearly 15 years old, support ended with El Capitan, and anything above Yosemite removed support for unofficial expansions, making it very unstable to upgrade beyond 10.9. Using DDR2 RAM which is hard to find and expensive on top of it, this might just be a big paper weight.

• Like 1