Should I Be Concerned?

webfact

sometimes in the past it happened that I woke

up at night from heavy muscle spasm in my calf (fibula). I was

unable to move my toes because they were some kind of

"paralyzed". I am over 50y old.

I was told it might have something to do with the lack of vitamins or minerals.

Should I be concerned?

Edited by webfact

<br />sometimes in the past it happened that I woke<br />up at night from heavy muscle spasm in my calf (fibula). I was<br />unable to move my toes because they were some kind of <br />"paralyzed". I am over 50y old.<br />I was told it might have something to do with the lack of vitamins or minerals.<br />Should I be concerned?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi, I got the same problem since years, but then in my thighs (VERY painful).

First I got advise from a friend (sport trainer) who told me to use extra Magnesium as a lack of it can cause these spasms. It worked, one tablet a day.

Later, when I studied homeopathy, I found my relief in Copper and used a homeopathic product called Cuprum metallicum.

So the cause can be lack of Magnesium or lack of Copper, or both of them.

Good luck.

Joe

PS Of course it can have a more serious cause, but let's stay on the positive side :-)

I get the same thing from time to time, it is fairly common.

For immediate relief, grab your foot and force it backward so that it is at a 90 degree angle to your leg, like it would be if you were standing up. (I sometimes use the bedsheets like a sling to help me do this). Or, actually stand up, which will do the same thing. This will release the spasm .

In terms of prevention, both magnesium and calcium supplementation have been advocated but not proven.

It is also suggested that you try stretching the leg muscles for several minutes before going to sleep. This too has not been proven but certainly can't hurt.