Farang: Become An Official Thai Tourist Police

danone

Jesting aside, I think the basic premise is not a bad idea. - As a "go-between" in the middle of culturally-befuddled tourists that might have a problem, and the boys in brown who might not understand what some agitated foreign person might be trying to tell them.

Where it falls down is when you have the Thai cops trying to use foreign volunteers as "snitches" to spy in on bars / go-go establishments that might be doing "shows", or spying on foreign "mafia" suspects. This just adds to the fear, loathing, mistrust, and paranoia of places like Pattaya, etc. :o

The basic premise of the concept is good.

Heck, I can understand where applicants are comming from, as I was a referee for many years. You do it out of a sence of trying to make it a fair game, not to gain respect or push your authority onto others. Those that do usually don't last long, so without the love for it one quickly gets tired of it.

Jesting aside, I think the basic premise is not a bad idea. - As a "go-between" in the middle of culturally-befuddled tourists that might have a problem, and the boys in brown who might not understand what some agitated foreign person might be trying to tell them.

Where it falls down is when you have the Thai cops trying to use foreign volunteers as "snitches" to spy in on bars / go-go establishments that might be doing "shows", or spying on foreign "mafia" suspects. This just adds to the fear, loathing, mistrust, and paranoia of places like Pattaya, etc. :o

I agree that the theory of foreign helpers for the tourit police is essentially a good idea. :D

In practice they can be seen strutting around like peacocks on walking street not really doing anything apart from increasing their own egos, & I've heard stories of them reporting on bar owners for minor wp related offences, which, AFAIK, has nothing to do with the tourist police areas of responsability. :D

That said, I'm sure the majority of volunteers actually try to do their job properly.

Cheers,

Soundman.