Farang: Become An Official Thai Tourist Police

danone

perhaps this leads to an automatic work permit or longterm visa or even residency status? just kidding, but the message is serious (it was addressed to a foreign chamber of commerce here in thailand, but i deleted the relevant contact info and replaced it with XXXXXXX):

- and yes, you even get your own uniform!!! - remember, there are only 1,200 positions available nation wide:

TOURIST POLICE DEPARTMENT - VOLUNTEER PROGRAM

INVITATION FROM TOURIST POLICE DIVISION TO XXXXXXX

Thailand is one of the heavens of Tourism and Foreign residences for Business and Retirement. The Tourist Police Division has the responsibility of looking after the safety and provide convenience to tourists both Thais and foreigners.

In order to provide the safety, protection and the convenient of the foreigners' residence and foreigners' tourists in Thailand, Tourist Police Division has set up a Project name is Assistant Tourist Police Department (Volunteer Program) to support the Tourist Police in communications and make understanding in between foreigners' and Tourist Police.

Don't miss your chance to be a member of the 1st Volunteer program in the world "Assistant Tourist Police Department (Volunteer Program)" as TPD officers only 1,200 national wide.

We need your assistance.

Thailand Tourist Police Department is welcoming you to be a member of providing safety and assistance your own citizens in time of trouble while visiting or live in Thailand.

Mission:

? To provide safety and assist your own citizens in time of trouble while visiting or residence in Thailand.

? To give great service, warmth, comfort and confident during their stay.

? To spent your free time for meaningful cause

Requirements:

1. No age limit

2. Both male and female

3. Open to all Nationalities

4. Able to speak English or Thai (able to communicate)

5. No criminal records in Thailand and Home Country

6. Able to assist during free time, number of days depending on availability of the volunteer

7. Day time or evening time in Headquarters or at Airports (Suvarnabhoom/DonMuang)

8. Evening time in TPD check points in Bangkok

How to Apply:

1. Fill in the application together with your resume and photo size 2 x 2 inch (AVAILABLE FROM - XXXXXXX).

2. Send your hard copies by fax or return to your own Head Bureau.

3. All your documents will send to Thailand Tourist Police Department and your Embassy to check your basic background for criminal record.

4. The result of your applying will be informed.

After Approval:

1. TPD will provide format of Uniform for self-prepare

2. TPD will give notice date to set up training:

2.1 How to defend yourself in case of incident.

2.2 How to report your work on duty.

Further Information or Need Assistance:

Contact TPD Advisor Mr. XXXXXXX

Doesn't say have to be master of thai language...just be able to communicate

So you think the "or" means "and" ?

(Seriously :o . Would not be a first.)

only because of the qualifying statement at the end

Able to speak English or Thai (able to communicate)

Know what you mean, but consider that some potential candidates might not be able to communicate in either language. English is the "lingua franca" of tourists.

Know what you mean, but consider that some potential candidates might not be able to communicate in either language. English is the "lingua franca" of tourists.

hmm yes ic what your getting at

this story is for real,already have an english man working in samui ,he's not been in thailand very long and does'nt speak thai ,his duties mainly consist of talking to tourist that have a problem ,everyone to there own :o

sure its a real story.

and an interesting concept.

dont know any other place - especially in asia - where they let foreigners do such stuff.

but as said, its volunteer work, but pays off with a lot of tamboon and gives great photo opps!

3. All your documents will send to Thailand Tourist Police Department and your Embassy to check your basic background for criminal record.

This line alone shows they have no clue what they are doing.

The British embassy has no access to criminal records in the UK, this is probably true for other embassies?

Such checks have to come from the home country.

You need to "prepare your own uniform". :o

This will only attract the wanna be Rambo Boy Scouts that are already used by the Tourist Police in Pattaya

and bring further scorn on the already hard pressed Thai Police force. :D

We've had these Volunteers in Pattaya for some years now.

Many threads in the Pattaya Forum on this.

Used to spy on Go-go bars, check if farangs are working in bars or other businesses their wives own, so on, so on.

I thought the basic principle of helping tourists was good - a calming mediator between irate tourists and irate shopkeepers / help people who are lost and so on.

But it hasn't worked out that way.

The British embassy has no access to criminal records in the UK, this is probably true for other embassies?

Such checks have to come from the home country.

The way the Canadian embassies do it is they supply you with the paperwork and fingerprint sheets which you have to take to the local police and have your prints done which gets sent to the RCMP along with around $30 to cover the fees. Last time I did this it took about a month to get the results back.

Definitely not my cup of tea, does it state whether you have to of been bullied at school to qualify ?

Reminds me of the community police we got in London, command absolutely no respect at all and most of them seem to be foreigners.

I was at a meeting with khun cheifoftouristpolice and his team about a week ago on this very subject. We were treated to an excellent slideshow, including pictures of dead Japanese buissness men who fell foul of a scam and shifty looking africans with a table of fake cards before them.

You do have to provide your own uniform, why should they provide it if you change your mind after a week?

There is no pay, but you will get a Thai Police ID.

You are simply there to assist. No kicking in doors. No sirens screaming. Just helping out.

I was keen at first but then saw how half-arsed it all seemed.

Might be fun and rewarding, but a fair amount of work for nowt.

sure its a real story.

and an interesting concept.

dont know any other place - especially in asia - where they let foreigners do such stuff.

but as said, its volunteer work, but pays off with a lot of tamboon and gives great photo opps!

We have a couple of them in Chiang Mai - both are ex police officers in their home countries, but that is not a requirement. Being level headed and able to commuciate with drunks in the street who want to start a fight is.

A lot of their time is spent at the Airport helping with visitors to CM and also in the Night Bazaar - if you are interested have a wander down to the local tourist police box and ask to speak with the farung officers.

CB

19609.jpg

:o:D:D:D:D

Definitely not my cup of tea, does it state whether you have to of been bullied at school to qualify ?

Reminds me of the community police we got in London, command absolutely no respect at all and most of them seem to be foreigners.

The uniform above was for American Volunteers, below is for the contingent of British volunteers:

ian.jpg

OR.....just remove the word 'police' and then you have:

"Reminds me of the community we got in London, commands absolutely no respect at all and most of them seem to be foreigners."

5555! :o