How is Kanchanaburi ?

Aforek

Hello, 

I would like to know how is Kanchanaburi, for a living ( expat retired ) 

nice city, mountains, river, nature  where to walk  ? ; house for rent, night life ( not very interested, just out of curiousity ), big shops ( BigC, Makro ... ) etc ? ; is there a park to walk inside the city or nearby ? 

Thank you 

No one is talking about the elephant in the room. Learn about the unhealthy air pollution that lasts half the year. If you are not into a healthy lifestyle and wellness, it's probably a good place.

The only way to get YOUR answer is to rent a place for a few months and try it out.

I loved K-Buri for a weekend getaway from BKK.   I suspect it would be a great place to live for some (myself included) and a hellhole for others.  But I can hardly recommend it for others with different lifestyles and preferences.  I don't drink and I don't chase women for sport.  So I can't speak for folks who find those important.

The other advantage of renting a place for a few months is to get the lay of the land, the traffic patterns, the environment, and the noises.  Then you can decide whether you like it, and where to settle longer term. 

Go for a weekend or even a week or so, and you won't get the whole picture.  Count on other people's advice and they may be duds like me, or drunken mongers who only care about the price of beer and bar fines...

• Thanks 1

for walking, biking on the other side of the river.

and very close to river itself for lower temperatures, breeze, cleaner air and peace.

Kanchanaburi is known from floating houses on rafts, I would like living on such. Or even better renting or buying a large boat, so you will be mobile and not bored in one place. Possible to travel up to vajira dam, about 200km, or down to the sea.

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

for walking, biking on the other side of the river.

and very close to river itself for lower temperatures, breeze, cleaner air and peace.

Kanchanaburi is known from floating houses on rafts, I would like living on such. Or even better renting or buying a large boat, so you will be mobile and not bored in one place. Possible to travel up to vajira dam, about 200km, or down to the sea.

I lived in Ratchaburi for many years not far from K-buri I found it very nice

Very hot and dusty for many many months. 

6 minutes ago, internationalism said:

buying a large boat, so you will be mobile and not bored in one place. Possible to travel up to vajira dam, about 200km, or down to the sea.

You'll need to hide it when you're not on it, as the local guys on the river will destroy it as soon as you're out of view. That comes from a Western guy with 25 years of crafting and building boats as a hobby here.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1