More speed cameras to be installed on Thailand’s expressways

Jonathan Fairfield

48 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

' in a bid to boost safety'   Surely that should read:  in a bid to increase income.

It does both thankfully it only punishes those that drive too fast and the hard shoulder thing could be a good earner too. I been on the expressway and you often see them on the hard shoulder using it as an other lane.

5 minutes ago, metisdead said:

I have noticed a lot of vehicles with the license plates having the numbers "whited" out.  Unless the authorities crack down on that issue, which is highly unlikely, there will be a lot of tickets not being issued as the license plates will be unintelligible. 

In most cases that is a manufacturing fault with the plates fading due to sun bleaching (UV light). TW's car is a prime example. The BiB are showing NO concern???

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, metisdead said:

I have noticed a lot of vehicles with the license plates having the numbers "whited" out.  Unless the authorities crack down on that issue, which is highly unlikely, there will be a lot of tickets not being issued as the license plates will be unintelligible. 

I was only following a Mercedes yesterday that had tape plastered over part of a number and letter so they looked like different items also the number of either scrubbed number plates or non existent number plates on vehicles one would think this would be a priority if they need to identify a vehicle !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bdenner said:

In most cases that is a manufacturing fault with the plates fading due to sun bleaching (UV light). TW's car is a prime example. The BiB are showing NO concern???

I bit of elbow work and a kitchen scourer has the same result !

• Like 1

17 camera, and 32 more later !
Their really want to show they do something without really doing it.

I mean in France where the driver are in every way better educated and formed that Thai one, we got about 4400 automatic radar, and the gouvernement still think its not engough.
Considering the average Thai driver attitude, its 10 000 + camera you need to put online if you want a chance at changing their behavior, they need to know the chance to be fined are high and not eventualy once in a life time like nowday.

• Haha 1

I hope they put sufficient signage up to post the actual speed limit in each zone plus to give warnings that cameras are in operation otherwise drivers will not slow down, trusting to luck as at present. Most countries do this and paint the cameras high visibility yellow to make them effective for safety rather than revenue generation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

In most cases these are just speed traps and if using AI a way to track your vehicle movements other than you having your phone.

You seriously think AI can reproduce a Thai's thoughts and driving actions?  Not a hope

38 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I hope they put sufficient signage up to post the actual speed limit in each zone plus to give warnings that cameras are in operation otherwise drivers will not slow down, trusting to luck as at present. Most countries do this and paint the cameras high visibility yellow to make them effective for safety rather than revenue generation.

Coming down from CM there is an area about 1/2 way down that gets you every time. Definite trap.

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Good....120 kph is fast enough for anybody......but how about they do something about the confusing array of signs along the Bangkok/ChonBuri Expressway....you have 90 kph signs in the median posted high up (for truck drivers?) and 120/80/60 when you get near a turn-off. It is stupidly confusing.

no speed camera catch you for less than 120

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Is there a "grace"  period over the speed limit that the camera will not give you a ticket? For instance you have to be going 10 km over the speed limit to get a ticket. 

I think that in some countries in Europe there is a 'grace' limit of 2 - 5% (?), but I think not in Thailand. I once got 'busted' with 128 km/h. Speed cameras on the motorways are set to go off above 120 km/h.

The fine is currently only 500 Baht - also for 150 km/h, which I found out recently. Hardly a deterrent for many.

Once the authorities start to introduce a 'points system' and confiscation of the drivers's license for multiple traffic infractions, it may make many drivers think twice about breaking the traffic law. And it is on the way!

In some European countries the police can also confiscate the vehicle without compensation for serious offences - even if the actual driver does not own the car.

3 minutes ago, Pdib said:

I think that in some countries in Europe there is a 'grace' limit of 2 - 5% (?), but I think not in Thailand. I once got 'busted' with 128 km/h. Speed cameras on the motorways are set to go off above 120 km/h.

The fine is currently only 500 Baht - also for 150 km/h, which I found out recently. Hardly a deterrent for many.

Once the authorities start to introduce a 'points system' and confiscation of the drivers's license for multiple traffic infractions, it may make many drivers think twice about breaking the traffic law. And it is on the way!

In some European countries the police can also confiscate the vehicle without compensation for serious offences - even if the actual driver does not own the car.

It would be reasonable to give you a small grace period above the speed limit, otherwise people would be afraid to drive at the speed limit from fear of getting a blicket. Who can keep a car perfectly at 120? some times it will be a little less. some times it will be a little more.  But TIT.

I think it is unreasonable to be given a ticket for going 128 in a 120 area, . As you said 500 bht is not a problem, but if they start giving points and it affects you insurance , then it is a big problem. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Not in time for Songkran then.  Oh well, maybe next year's Songkran.

No disrespect, but do you drive much? Radar will have zero effect on speeders and safety except for their pocket book a few weeks after the fact. Once everyone learns where the radar are, then the speed game is on again. And what does speeding an Songkran have to do with anything? Most  the roads are jam packed on the long hauls. It is the drinkers or the hung over's who probably effect most of the majority.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Expressway Authority of Thailand (Exat) has announced plans to install more speed cameras on expressways in a bid to boost safety.

Forget the expressways more cameras are needed on town roads where the majority of accidents happen.

So we can expect even more 'faded' number plates, or should I say 'sprayed over' plates ?  I've noticed fairly new cars with unreadable plates. My car is 23 years old and the plates still clear ! Then of course there are the lorries with 5 meter extended tailboards that keep the plates and lights hidden, no doubt the police will be checking this !

15 hours ago, Pdib said:

I thought there was a points system?