Expat Snobbery

ambassador

I was in Ploen Chit the other day and passed another farang who acknowledged my existance as a fellow farang and actually gave me a little "alright mate" smile and a tiny nod. I was very surprised.

I am 28 yrs old and because I have age on my side I find that I get looked down upon by most expats as if they resent the fact that people younger than them are discovering Thailand and coming to live here on their territory.

The worst are the one's in the 25-35 age group, standing on the skytrain with their Tesco Lotus short sleeve blue shirt and 'Yes I'm just a teacher' satchel with shoulder strap.

Some of them strut about like they own the place, they don't acknowledge taxi drivers, don't wai anybody and don't stand up for pregnant or elderly women on the Skytrain. They should cheer the ###### up because quite frankly they are bloody lucky to live here as a guest in this country - we all are.

What do these people think when they see me?

"Oh I bet he's a backpacker that doesn't want to go home cause he's had to much caramel vagina and Chang, I'm better than him".

Make a conversation with these people and they seem stand off ish, but soon realise they were wrong to judge and start talking to you like a fellow farang only they make a point of telling you that they never go to Kaosan Rd and they try to mention places they think you won't have heard of and, if given the opportunity, they will show off their ability to speak fluent Thai.

Now listen, I am guilty of this snobbery too, to a certain extent - especially when I am in Bunglumpoo, and I go to Kaosan Rd often as I know many people who work there, and I don't like the soi Rambuturi types who think they are at one with Thailand because they've cancelled their trip to Australia and spent the past six weeks getting stoned with Thai rastas, getting tatoos and listening to Bob Marley.

They make give the younger expats a bad image, but expats of any age that are so snobbish that they look down upon most of the Thai's as well? - That's not acceptable. I have a certain degree of snobbery because I don't want to be associated with pot-head backpackers, new age hippies and hungover so called teachers.

As for the proper teachers and the type of expat I have been talking about... Cheer up and stop judging everyone and fearing that you're losing your beloved country to other westernern men, it's not your country for starters and never will be.

In my personal experience the over 50's are the nicest expats, they are full of knowledge and wisdom and are too long in the tooth to get all childish and snobby because they enjoy the finer things in life - and strutting about with a satchel hanging off your shoulder, thinking that you're better than everybody else and you know the score is not fine.

Grow up you sad little men and smile at your fellow farang if he smiles at you, if you can't do that then go back to England or wherever it is you originally came from.

Respect for what isn't yours.

Attitude to life.

The way you treat people.

These are the things that make you worthy - not how long you've been here, what your job is or how much Thai you speak.

Now sod off.

In my personal experience the over 50's are the nicest expats, they are full of knowledge and wisdom and are too long in the tooth to get all childish and snobby because they enjoy the finer things in life -

I resemble that remark, thank you very much. :o

TH

Sounds to me like you are projecting your own bigotry and other issues on others, and the 'now sod off' is actually you sayng it to yourself. Me thinks you have a lot to work out before you're happy. Good luck  :o

I think you had an IQ test and it was a bit higher than you expected and it's gone to your head.

You a phsycology student par chance?

Nevertheless - good analysis with hints of truth, but nowhere near enough to win the holiday in Portugal, you walk away with a small portable TV and a set of knives. :D

P.S. Where about's in Banglumpoo are you staying? I'm popping over there on Tuesday and am free for an hour if you want to discuss this further over a cold Kloster.

mate,  you are getting stressed over nothing...

if they dont want to acknowledge you or anyone else'..up to them..who gives a shit!

is the same anywhere.....if thats they way the wish to live their life

why do you worry about it?

:D

You've always had the right idea, Alfred.

"What? Me worry?" :o

Cheer up and stop judging everyone and fearing that you're losing your beloved country to other westernern men, it's not your country for starters and never will be.

Yea Ambassador,

It's kinda like the Farangs that complain about so many Thais going to Koh Chang at the weekends......................................Or too many forgieners in Pattaya. :o

Maybe you are just not used to being someplace where people do not notice you as anything special to look at and take special notice of.

Do everyone in your home country always give you the tip of the hat or is it the same as here where not everyone pays attention to you.

After you are here awhile then you will notice that all farang look alike and pay no special attention to them. :o

Cheer up and stop judging everyone
The worst are the one's in the 25-35 age group, standing on the skytrain with their Tesco Lotus short sleeve blue shirt and 'Yes I'm just a teacher' satchel with shoulder strap.
these people
I don't like the soi Rambuturi types
I don't want to be associated with pot-head backpackers, new age hippies and hungover so called teachers.
sad little men

CHEER UP AND STOP JUDGING EVERYONE

I like that one, "they don't wai anybody".

If you still wai anybody in Thailand, other than when meeting some top-notch bigwig with a lot of "amnaat", you're a big fool and deserve to be looked down upon.

Take it from someone who's been here for 17 years.

A few weeks back, I saw a farang wai one of those shoe polish boys in Soi Nana (he must have been about 9 years of age), after the latter had polished the farang's shoes. I didn't know if to laugh out loud or cry. Any Thai seeing that would have cringed in agony, too.

Cheer up and stop judging everyone
these people
I don't like the soi Rambuturi types
I don't want to be associated with pot-head backpackers, new age hippies and hungover so called teachers.
sad little men
CHEER UP AND STOP JUDGING EVERYONE

How do ya do the multiple quote thing---Been trying to figure that out? :o

In my personal experience the over 50's are the nicest expats, they are full of knowledge and wisdom and are too long in the tooth to get all childish and snobby because they enjoy the finer things in life -

I resemble that remark, thank you very much. :o

TH

Then again, I have seen some remarks here on Thai Visa referring to some of the very old hands as dinosaurs, called such as much for their attitudes as for their vintage.

Deary, deary me we are very bitter aren't we! Teaching didn't work out for you did it? And now Dad is sending you money to stay so thank the lord you don't have to work anymore.

Honestly I can't believe people can write such tosh about being open minded and stop judging people and then go on to tar so many with the same bitter brush.

Please I would love to know next time you are on the London Underground how many people you see smiling and such like to complete strangers. Never!

I don't think it's an age thing. Bangkok expats seem pretty much like Bangkok Thais in that they have this typical big city self-centeredness about them.

Same person takes a trip to, say, Tak or Phrae or something and suddenly he WILL acknowledge another Farang... Weird huh! :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

i think chanchao is right there seems to be a bit of snobbery all round in bangkok, starting with the ignorant bastards on the BTS who try to steam on the train as soon as the door opens instead of letting people off first. Same goes for the train drivers, why not wait for the people running for the train.

And as for the bloody school kids why are'nt they taught to apologise when they bump into people.

But at the end of the day gladly i don't live in bangkok so i only suffer it once in a while and the <deleted> in the city (london) are just as bad.

i think chanchao is right there seems to be a bit of snobbery all round in bangkok, starting with the ignorant bastards on the BTS who try to steam on the train as soon as the door opens instead of letting people off first. Same goes for the train drivers, why not wait for the people running for the train.

And as for the bloody school kids why are'nt they taught to apologise when they bump into people.

But at the end of the day gladly i don't live in bangkok so i only suffer it once in a while and the <deleted> in the city (london) are just as bad.

Ditto.

(Apart from the last bit)