Dowary

samui bill

It all depends on the background of your girl. E.g. virginity, married before, worked in a bar in her past life, age, educated or not etc.

An example: My wife educated, was 22 when we first met and got married when she was 25. She was a virgin, educated from a good Thai university, holds a degree, and now works for Thai Airways. She's from Rayong.

The family demanded 100,000. I paid 60,000 and she paid the remainder. Because I wasn't going to pay more than 60,000 no matter what....

These are roughly the current prices:

100,000 for an educated virgin with a degree.

60,000 for a shop girl with high school and also a virgin.

30,000-40-000 for a divorced single mother

0 for a divorced single mother (ex bargirl)

0 for a non-virgin bargirl or ex bargirl

But as previous posters have pointed out, a lot depends on the family and the girl's skills convincing her family that you can only pay an X amount as dowry.

Good luck!

What a load of rubbish..

Where did you get the info if your wife is educated and works for an airline... :o

Rubbish?

I have been in Thailand for well over 20 years. I've got Thai friends as well and the above is basically a summary...

Like it or not. Up to you.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are roughly the current prices:

100,000 for an educated virgin with a degree.

60,000 for a shop girl with high school and also a virgin.

30,000-40-000 for a divorced single mother

0 for a divorced single mother (ex bargirl)

0 for a non-virgin bargirl or ex bargirl

Thanks!!

What's typical depreciation like? For example someone starts out as an educated virgin with a degree, and she's 18 years old. Then in 10 years time, what kind of depreciation should I take into account? What if she breaks 30?

BTW I think upon marriage (& divorce) the price immediately goes down to 0. Can't sell the same goods twice.

Not necessarily :o

Need a price check on aisle 6 please

38 years old

attractive

high school education

never married

no children

not a virgin (thankfully)

office worker in Bangkok

family is Issan school teachers (retired) now farming

What say you?

And as mentioned, you aren't supposed to PAY it, only give it and have them hand it back to your wife for safekeeping. It's her safety-money, not the parents drinking-money.

Actually, its not.

Its meant as a thank you to her parents for bringing her up. Giving birth, milk powder, diaper change service isnt provided for any child left in the wild you know.

Some parents drink it away. Some parents saved that money to keep for future contingencies for their daughter. Frankly, when its given to them. Its their money to decide what they do with it.

There is some part of social grace involved, where the money given is returned in parts to the couple, more symbolic in how they love their daughters then what traditions dictates.

As my uncle once tells off my mother, when she asked should she keeps the dowry money my brother in law gives....."If you think your daughter is a pig that you sold off, by all means keep the money."

38 years old

attractive

high school education

never married

no children

office worker in Bangkok

What say you?

Around 40,000 Baht may be a bit more may a bit less?

I am no expert. From having lived in this country for so long and having discussed the subject with so many foreigners and Thais, I manage to come up with an estimate. Some people pay nothing. Good for them. Some people pay half a milion in dowry. Up to them. Every thai girl is different and unique, every Thai family is different. Some families really do need the money. Some don't but need to save face. Some Thai families are westernized and don't want any of the dowry crap. Every situation is different.... A friend of mine paid 75,000 to the girl's family. His decision, his life. Another buddy of mine paid nothing for his girl, good for him. I know I wouldn't pay more than 60,000 for a Thai girl, period.

Over and out!

Edited by Flow

Hi i have been with my thai gf now for 3 years and we want to get married next year ans she has told me about the dowary thing,which i know about,she says that 200,000b would be ok as we dont have that much money,she said that her sister got married to a thai and that is what he paid,i have heard that farang pay anything into the millions,is 200,000b a fair price to be paid to her family,her dad is dead now and she has no children yet.any help would be good.thanks.

Does the 200.000 b include sinsod , jewellery, clothes and the wedding party cost?

Or is it only for the sinsod?

No problem blizzard, I am pushing 51 & she is a looker. I would feel silly walking down the street with a 21 y/old. It would boost my ego, but everyone would look at me like they look at the sex tourists & bargirls in Pattaya. I don't want kids and neither does she, so all's well. I will take care of her & she will do the same for me in my later years.

38 years old

attractive

high school education

never married

no children

office worker in Bangkok

What say you?

Lyoyd, ignore blizz, he knows the price of everything. Just think how much help and consideration you'd have given ageing European in-laws and take it from there. Don't mention sin sod, do it farang style and see if they mention it. If they do, ask them how many offers of sin sod they have already and how much they've turned down. If the woman really loves you she won't be after your savings anyway.

Edited by qwertz

I do wish though, that when I am old enough, with cash enough. I can offer some $$ to someone that will take care of me in my old age.

I'm up for that, Kitty. Just two questions - how much and when?

I do wish though, that when I am old enough, with cash enough. I can offer some $$ to someone that will take care of me in my old age.

Qwertz....You’re such a dork

Kitty is only offering “$$” – and in my language that “$$” = two zero only!........ modern time slavery salary to me!

I do wish though, that when I am old enough, with cash enough. I can offer some $ to someone that will take care of me in my old age.

Qwertz....You're such a dork

Kitty is only offering "{:content:}quot; – and in my language that "{:content:}quot; = two zero only!........ modern time slavery salary to me!

I know I'm a dork, TC. That's why I do slavery (or did you mean slavering?) for 2 bucks. Anyway, how much is that in €? Sounds like no bad deal to me. :o

Edited by qwertz

I do wish though, that when I am old enough, with cash enough. I can offer some $ to someone that will take care of me in my old age.

Qwertz....You're such a dork

Kitty is only offering "{:content:}quot; – and in my language that "{:content:}quot; = two zero only!........ modern time slavery salary to me!

I know I'm a dork, TC. That's why I do slavery (or did you mean slavering?) for 2 bucks.

Are you any good at "slavering"? :o

Dowry, Sin Sod, again? Yes and we cannot discuss this enough.

But wait..it's a Thai tradition and when you live in Thailand you will have to adapt!

If you love the girl, come on just pay it. 100.000 or 1,000,000 who cares, it's just money and for them it means the world! It's their culture and who are we to ignore this fact?

But what about our culture? We will never be able to become a respected member of the Thai society. Cannot buy land, visa regulations, what about voting right?

What about my family back home, they've worked very hard to give me a splendid childhood, put me in University, etc.. They would never ask my Thai family in law for anything! How can I explain my father I paid Sin Sod? I would feel ashamed of myself!

I guess I'll never get married here and I frankly don''t care!

Sin Sod, no way! Not even for show!

:o

Problem is....I have 2 pennies to my name at the moment. :D

And if I lived to 50s, it will be a stretch.

I plan to die young, fast & quiet. Dying in Thailand is much prefer-able since they have those coffin donars body snatchers to cremate without a fuss options if my body was found slumped on the street.

:o

Problem is....I have 2 pennies to my name at the moment. :D

And if I lived to 50s, it will be a stretch.

I plan to die young, fast & quiet. Dying in Thailand is much prefer-able since they have those coffin donars body snatchers to cremate without a fuss options if my body was found slumped on the street.

"Only the good die young" playing in the background.

Edited by wolfmanjack

But what about our culture? We will never be able to become a respected member of the Thai society.

Thats not true. You are just comparing respect to citizenship issues.

I think he is talking about joining the Hi SO blue blood Upper crust and all that.

We can still argue till the cows come home.

phuketcows-1.jpg

Cow pic in the background.

But whats important is. Dowry is a important part of a culture. Or several Asian Cultures. It can mean how your wife can respect you; for the respect you showed her family and her culture.

flood control is on so it takes time for me to reply.

personally i do not associate with those unsavory types (the super rich) in my own country so i would not want to here either.

I am a good ol country boy and prefer the mountains to the city. I also prefer the type of people that grow up in the mountains.

We can still argue till the cows come home.

phuketcows-1.jpg

Cow pic in the background.

But whats important is. Dowry is a important part of a culture. Or several Asian Cultures. It can mean how your wife can respect you; for the respect you showed her family and her culture.

Um. Those look like water buffalo to me. Any way i guess the water buffalo are close enough for your analogy. Were I come from we have a nickname for cows. Slow moving Elk because the city people would buy a hunting license and shoot some farmers cow.

By the way i consider this a discussion not an argument. Like many aspects of thai culture things are changing. Some for the good, some for the bad. Some Thai do not care about what the neighbors think therefore do not worry about face. My mother in law is that way. She is very proud and wants to stand on her own 2 feet. She won't take money from me unless it is to pay for something that i am buying. Like wood to build a house or large amounts of produce that i am going to sell. My wife has taken money from my bank account and given to my mother in law. The next time i went to the village she would put it in with my suitcase or with my children's clothes when i went home. If I want to pay for food or beer or anything I have to buy it before i get to the village because she won't let me buy anything when I am there. I realize i am very lucky in regards to my wifes family.