Some Help With August Trip To Thailand

chaimdan

Hi,

MY wife and I (and one yr old sun) are going to Thailand August 6-20. This is a one time chance for us and we want to make it a memorable one. here are some questions:

1. Weather, seems to be questionable, Ko Samui is suppose to be better than Phuket, but seems like phuket has nicer views and more exciting things to do, is phuket ever nice in august, or is ko samui the way to go?

2. We're planning on starting off in Chiang Mai and then heading to the beaches for the final 9 days. Is Chiang Mai and the north worth our time if we want views, elephants, shows and nature etc.. or is it smarter to just stay in the south our entire trip?

3. Because weather is unpredictable, would it make any sense to fly into Bangkok and decide upon arrival where to go depending on weather (if phuket is nice, there otherwise ko samui)? or is it crazy? would I still be able to get hotels at decent rate last minute?

4. My plan is to be in chiang mai north region 6-12 then head south, weather wise am I better being south earlier on in the month?

5. Lastly, if I want an unforgettable experience, can anyone recommend a resort/hotel in an area with a "wow" factor in august? beautiful nature, scenery, beach etc...?

Sorry for all the questions, we just want to insure we'll get the most out of our "money borrowed" trip. Any other recommodations much appreciated. Thanks!!

I would be happy to make some suggestions but would need more info to be of much help. First of all, what is your budget like? Because re where to go first, second or third, can depend on how much you want to spend on flights, and/or if saving time is worth more than saving money.

Also, re the "wow" factor for a hotel, that may depend on what you are used to, do you want this factor in all the places you stay, or just for one of the locations, and how much you are willing to pay. I'm not saying you have to pay huge money to get this

Re Samui vs. Phuket ... well I haven't been to Phuket but have read a lot about it and have been to Krabi which I think might be a much nicer place than Phuket, especially for a family. I have been to Samui two times and the natural beauty is much more spectacular in Krabi or Phuket, and much different than what you will find in most beaches around the world.

Oh, and since you are traveling with a baby especially, I would not try make last minute plans once in BKK, and you will also waste some of your vacation time doing time consuming research, and you will have to spend time in BKK to do this, and you don't mention wanting to visit BKK.

I've lived in CM for three years so I can help you with advise about here also. PM if you like because I might forget to look back here for your answers. In general I would think CM is great for seeing animals like elephants and monkeys, and all that Thailand has, easy and without wasting a lot of time moving around and CM is the best for good value for your money.

Hi,

MY wife and I (and one yr old sun) are going to Thailand August 6-20. This is a one time chance for us and we want to make it a memorable one. here are some questions:

1. Weather, seems to be questionable, Ko Samui is suppose to be better than Phuket, but seems like phuket has nicer views and more exciting things to do, is phuket ever nice in august, or is ko samui the way to go?

2. We're planning on starting off in Chiang Mai and then heading to the beaches for the final 9 days. Is Chiang Mai and the north worth our time if we want views, elephants, shows and nature etc.. or is it smarter to just stay in the south our entire trip?

3. Because weather is unpredictable, would it make any sense to fly into Bangkok and decide upon arrival where to go depending on weather (if phuket is nice, there otherwise ko samui)? or is it crazy? would I still be able to get hotels at decent rate last minute?

4. My plan is to be in chiang mai north region 6-12 then head south, weather wise am I better being south earlier on in the month?

5. Lastly, if I want an unforgettable experience, can anyone recommend a resort/hotel in an area with a "wow" factor in august? beautiful nature, scenery, beach etc...?

Sorry for all the questions, we just want to insure we'll get the most out of our "money borrowed" trip. Any other recommodations much appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi chaimdan.

As MTW says it's a bit difficult without knowing what sort of budget restrictions your under,

so here are some suggestions based on my own experiences of holidaying here when my son was just a year older than yours.

If you intend arriving in Bangkok then I personally would depart for Chiangmai the very next day! It's far too hot for comfort and not a good place to aclimatise, you have the choice of flying up to Chiang Mai or getting the overnight sleeper train depending on your budget.

Chiang Mai is cooler and easier to get about in than Bangkok, there are lots of touristy places to visit and your hotel will be able to give you a list of the choices and book them for you.

As for duration of stay in Chiangmai I found I had seen all the places I wanted to see by day 4.

I would then head back down to Bangkok and spend a couple of days site seeing, if you can stand the hustle and bustle of the City then there are some memorable sights to see.

With a young child I would recommend flying down to Phuket, I've been to both Koh Samui & Phuket and would personally recommend Phuket for a family holiday. A hotel on the Western side of the island (sunsets), If you can drive then bring an international driving licence with you and hire a car for a day or more if you can afford it. A drive along the coast road and a stop off at a restaurant with a good view of the sunset has plenty of 'Wow" factor.

As for hotels just check out the advertisers on this forum, or ask someone like BambinA to recommend somewhere in your Price range when you've decided where you want to stay.

As I said this is my personal view and everybody has different needs and tolerences, anyway whatever you choose I hope you and your family do have that "once in a lifetime holiday". It's not too difficult in the "Land of smiles".

Well do stay in BKK for a few day.. Do the mall thing.. ride the BTS to the shops.. Chieng Mai is nice.. Again more malls.. There is a nice Queen's Garden Project.. very nice.. Next the beaches.. well.. August will have rain..but you just have to wait it out.. Phuket is a start..... In the Nakhon Si Thammarat area, Kanom beach is quiet and nice.. Khao Lak.. Not sure you would like that.. very tourist oriented.. but if that is what you like : Do it. They have an excellent Italian restaurant on the strip.. along Dive shop row..

The amphur Muang of Phanga Nga is nice with the high mountain tops...there is a cave that offers tours.. quick. Also nice batique prints for sale.. quite colorful..

For the different path.. Try the North East: Issan.. Khon Kaen is nice. You can buy your silk gifts there...

In the small amphur of Puai Noi.. there is a restored wat from eons ago.. a interesting tour.. you can walk about..

Nothing like the zigurats of Mexico..but cool anway..

Thailand must do list: Food, silk, meeting the people..The grand palace... Naggg..Try the weekend market..

Cheers..

Edited by Rhys

First of all thanks so much for all your replies, you've all been super helpful. I am Canadian so "sun" was just a typo...

Before I begin is the consensus that even in August (monsoon season) Phuket and surrounded areas are nicer than Ko Samui?

Here is my planned itinerary anyone who can comment or suggest anything, I would greatly appreciate that.

Here's a little more info, I am landing in Bangkok on Monday 2:30pm (supposing I purchase this ticket today) I intend to stay there just till Tuesday because I need to get a bunch of tailored shirts, and I hear Bangkok has a very reputable place - Rajawongse (http://dress-for-success.com/) I spent a year in HK sometime back and got in the habit of getting custom made shirts, but I was looking for their type of quality and selection and seems like this place has it...

Then I intend on flying to Chiang Mai Tuesday and I would probably stay up north thru Sunday (I am open to visiting tribes, trekking if at all possilble with baby on back, elephant rides, rivers, shows, and perhaps the Golden Triangle/Chiang Rai if it's worth it.) In Chiang Mai I am looking for the genuine Thailand experience at least to a degree. I do not need any expensive accomodations there, something for $40-50 would work, unless there is a hotel in a spectacular location outside the city that is worth paying more for one night. We're not really interested in seeing museums, zoos, etc... If anyone knows of decent accomodations outside the city for a night where I can give my wife the Thai countryside and just relax that would also be nice.

Then I was intending to fly to Ko Samui for a few days and then out of Phuket the following Tuesday (21st of May) back to the US. The reason this part of the trip is a bit less planned is because I hear that phuket in August is quite rainy, so if I arrive in Ko Samui and phuket is bad I would probably extend my stay in Ko Samui otherwise, I would head to phuket after a few days. My accomodations there will also vary, but for a few nights I would be open to spending around $150 a night or slightly more if it's really necessary. Aside from staying at a resort with nice pools, and beaches for a few days, I would also like to find a place that's different from typical beaches elsewhere, a place that feels very tropical, coconut strees, palm trees, nature etc...

I would like to end off in Phuket and Ko Samui, because I think that'll be more relaxing... but if weather will be much worse then.....

I am planning on flying everywhere in Thailand, I won't really have time to take trains, busses, unless it's less then 3 hours.

We don't plan on spending more than a day in Bangkok it's a little too busy and hot for our taste.... if we didn't have the baby than maybe....

Re food, we are on a very strict diet, so food places aren't really a plus for us.

A couple more questions:

Is a baby seat necessary or is it safe to hold a baby in a taxi (it'll be a real schlep to take one along but we also wanna be safe)

Is there anyplace that has nice diving in August or is it just not the season?

Thanks again you guys are great!!!

Hi Chaimdan.

Looks like you have already decided on your holiday plans, however I would "strongly" recommend that you don't consider taking your 1 year old son on "adventure style" trips such as trekking etc. Besides the heat, there are a multitude of other dangers for babies out in the wilds.

Mosquitoes are amongst one of many perils, the problem being that although a baby can vocalise it cannot verbalise and actually tell you that a leach or centipede is resident it it's nappy.

If you cannot perceive dangers like that then perhaps you should consider taking a "package holiday" here where the details are taken care of and the guides will be aware of pitfalls for young families such as yourself. Having said that I still believe that Thailand will give you your "once in a lifetime holiday"

Goodluck and keep smiling.

Nibor: Thanks for your reply, I agree with you about trekking.... what I meant to say is that I want to do more than just sit in a hotel and stare at the beaches... I would like to take an elephant ride and travel by road to some villages... etc...

Rajawongse is the place my pal swears by for his shirts - he gets his suits in HK though

I use his brother around the corner for suits and trousers - Rajah's but do not like his shirts

I get my shirts at yet my shirts done at a counsins of theirs across the road - Gulati's at 800THB each.

If it was me I would be going to the Samui side rather than Phuket at that time of year - I have known people have rain for their whole two weeks down Phuket way. Just look at some of the package holiday brochures and the hol's are cheaper down there for a reason.

Samui gets quite full in August as a lot of the continental Euro's have their month off then - I was down last year in August though and found it to be fine. Staying on the other side of Chaewng road cut the cost is half and I was only 20 metres further away from the beach.

Prakanong Thanks for the info. Why do you use the other tailors are they cheaper and as good? if I want Shirts of equal quality to those I get in HK should I stick with Rajawongse or can I go with the one you mentioned? (I want large selection as well)

What you say about Samui makes sence as it seems most ppl say something like that... Am I loosing out by going there? Are there any other islands nearby that are equivelant to the islands near phuket? or is Samui all there is in August?

Is weather in August predictable a few days in advance? Once in Samui can I decide to go to Phuket if I hear the weather is good? I suppose that would make sense...

Thanks again...

I used Rajah's on the workd of a lot of pals who swear by them. I just thought they skimped on shirt material and make them tight like Asian policemen like to wear ;-)

I like mine shirts to fit me in all the right places like shoulders, neck and arms but I do like a generous cut to tuck into my trousers and to have them a bit baggy so like Gulati's cut.

I have sent colleague there as well and they are happy - one coplained about the cuffs but as he sais he did not explain exactly how he wanted them but he is happy about everything else and the cuffs he can live with. I prefer a generous UK cuff as does he but other like the thinner US cut.

I have been to Samui a couple of times in August and July and can not remember too much rain - nothing to spoil a holiday. I went to Phuket in August and it rained the two whole days so i left early.

I was there early August last year and my boss the 2nd half of the month and we had great weather all the time.

Its all down to luck but your chances of rain are higher in Phuket and the werst coast generally at that time I think.

As you say though you can go to say Samui and see if its rainingmuch on the Phuket side then decide whether to go or not.

There is Koh Chang and Koh Samet further east but they are a lot less developed than either Samui or Phuket.

• 3 weeks later...
I used Rajah's on the workd of a lot of pals who swear by them. I just thought they skimped on shirt material and make them tight like Asian policemen like to wear ;-)

I like mine shirts to fit me in all the right places like shoulders, neck and arms but I do like a generous cut to tuck into my trousers and to have them a bit baggy so like Gulati's cut.

I have sent colleague there as well and they are happy - one coplained about the cuffs but as he sais he did not explain exactly how he wanted them but he is happy about everything else and the cuffs he can live with. I prefer a generous UK cuff as does he but other like the thinner US cut.

I have been to Samui a couple of times in August and July and can not remember too much rain - nothing to spoil a holiday. I went to Phuket in August and it rained the two whole days so i left early.

I was there early August last year and my boss the 2nd half of the month and we had great weather all the time.

Its all down to luck but your chances of rain are higher in Phuket and the werst coast generally at that time I think.

As you say though you can go to say Samui and see if its rainingmuch on the Phuket side then decide whether to go or not.

There is Koh Chang and Koh Samet further east but they are a lot less developed than either Samui or Phuket.

Hi,

Just a thought. No mention of taking the overnight train to/from bangkok to chiangmai. You will not loose any time since it is overnight. Cheap and comfortable sleepers. Around 800 baht per person.