British Man Assaulted By Thai Man On Soi 7 Beach Road

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: May 17th 2007

Shoe Polisher Punches British Man

At 10.25 pm on 16th May the Pattaya Police was informed that a tourist had been attacked in a beer bar located in Pattaya Beach Road Soi 7 and requested assistance.

At the scene the team found the injured tourist to be a 41 year old British National Mr. Michael waiting with his Thai girlfriend.

Witnesses stated that the attacker was a Thai man aged 18-20 years who works as a shoe polisher around Soi 7 and 8. After the attack, he fled down to Beach Road.

About 15 minutes later the team was informed by police volunteers that they had found the boy so asked both parties to go to the station for questioning.

Mr. Michael’s Thai girlfriend stated that they were drinking at a bar when the Thai man approached them – offering his shoe polish service. Her boyfriend refused but the shoe polisher pestered him to take the service. When her boyfriend mumbled something in English, the man hit him in the face and fled.

The shoe polisher; Kiraphut Thaikerdsri, aged 18, stated that he hit the man because the tourist was insulting him.

The police had to charge the man with intentionally attacking others and he will be locked up.

Libya 115 says:

A pound to your penny that this British tourist swore and/or insulted the shoe-shine boy and got thumped. Although violence cannot be condoned, swearing at or insulting Thais is foolish and is not without risk of revenge by mindless violence if they 'lose face'.

I agree with libya's assessment 100%. However, even trying to eat your dinner in some of these local restaurants you can be pestered mercilessly. I got poked on the shoulder at least 10 times the other night. So, on one hand we're trying to observe a culture of politeness but it's a one-way street?

p.s. I've also heard that excuse "the foreigner made insulting remarks" too many times.

True or not, it has become something Thais say to get out of assault charges.

Edited by cali4995

At 10.25 pm on 16th May the Pattaya Police was informed that a tourist had been attacked in a beer bar located in Pattaya Beach Road Soi 7 and requested assistance.

At the scene the team found the injured tourist to be a 41 year old British National Mr. Michael waiting with his Thai girlfriend.

Witnesses stated that the attacker was a Thai man aged 18-20 years who works as a shoe polisher around Soi 7 and 8. After the attack, he fled down to Beach Road.

About 15 minutes later the team was informed by police volunteers that they had found the boy so asked both parties to go to the station for questioning.

Mr. Michael’s Thai girlfriend stated that they were drinking at a bar when the Thai man approached them – offering his shoe polish service. Her boyfriend refused but the shoe polisher pestered him to take the service. When her boyfriend mumbled something in English, the man hit him in the face and fled.

The shoe polisher; Kiraphut Thaikerdsri, aged 18, stated that he hit the man because the tourist was insulting him.

The police had to charge the man with intentionally attacking others and he will be locked up.

Libya 115 says:

A pound to your penny that this British tourist swore and/or insulted the shoe-shine boy and got thumped. Although violence cannot be condoned, swearing at or insulting Thais is foolish and is not without risk of revenge by mindless violence if they 'lose face'.

A pound to your pound Libya that the guy refused reasonably politely at least the first time and

your very own posting says "pestered". I remember a shoe-shine guy in Patong who , when told

"mai ow khap" one time proceeded to poke me in the back by way of insistence. He was rewarded

with a glare and a slowly wagging finger. Should he have raised his hand he would have reached

the pavement outside the bar without touching the ground. I totally agree that gratuitous rudeness

is not a good idea wherever you are. Why should one tolerate it here ? Or should we all turn into

a bunch of pussies ? Please advise.

"When her boyfriend mumbled something in English, the man hit him in the face and fled."

Typically brave response, hit someone and then run away before they have the chance to hit you back. At least he didn't go get 10 of his friends so they can really show how macho they are. Reminds me of the case on Walking St a while back when a photo tout charged a middle aged British female tourist about 500 baht for 1 photo and then punched her in the face and ran away when she didn't want anymore.

The losing face business is just used as an excuse far too often to attack Farangs. In the UK it would be termed violent yobbery which is exactly what it is.

Yes, each case would be different. Its always good to avoid insulting Thai people, but like people anywhere, some are beyond reason and politeness, without even mentioning the effects of glue sniffing and yaba. Once I was walking around a nice section of Mexico City and declined a shoe shine, and the reply was a swift kick in the shin. I guess the idea was to bring me down to rob me ...

Don't even get me started on the name-calling. I realize pattaya is an anomaly in thailand but these

hordes of lady-men for example, any attempt to politely say "no thank-you" results in a slew of

thai swear words. I've gotten to the point where i just tell them "<deleted>@k-off", saves time.

There's a bloke who begs around the bars in Soi Diana while carrying a small child with him. Twice now he has poked me hard in the back when i refuse his offer of me turning out my pockets.

And i mean he pokes HARD !

Exactly, how many times should you have to say "mai ow krap". In fairness, some of the bars employ security to shoo these people away, but just like the ladymen, some of them are looking to lift your mobile or stick their hands in your pocket so don't let them make you feel bad. and the kids should be home in bed.

@doctorman: same here, just shows the stupidity!

@cali4995: agree wholeheartedly. We're supposed to be the ones to be polite and jai yen, but more often than not the locals are rude and violent.

Probably about time for a crackdown on those vendors again...

Mr. Michael's Thai girlfriend stated that they were drinking at a bar when the Thai man approached them – offering his shoe polish service. Her boyfriend refused but the shoe polisher pestered him to take the service. When her boyfriend mumbled something in English, the man hit him in the face and fled.

Libya 115 says:

Get to ###### with your pound and penny - these shits pester all the time. And how would the little <deleted> know?

Jingthing said it, sometimes it's the amphetamines. They're all cranked up on speed and they don't act like normal Thai people (how the ladymen keep their svelte figure, and also why they're robbing and assaulting everybody) the police know this, that's why they drag them down to the station for the urine checks all the time. But as Phil Conners implies, if the farang loses his cool, it opens up the possibility for violence. They usually won't do anything unless it's overwhelming odds, i.e. you get blindsided or the farang is drunk or elderly or the odds are 7-10 thais to 1 farang. :o

Edited by cali4995

shoe shine boys are the worst, they simply will not go away, I have myself got angry with several of them who simply refused to accept NO Thankyou in Thai, 10 times later it resorted to (will you F--- off and leave me alone)

They are the worst, he deserves all he gets

shoe shine boys are the worst, they simply will not go away, I have myself got angry with several of them who simply refused to accept NO Thankyou in Thai, 10 times later it resorted to (will you F--- off and leave me alone)

It's better to totally ignore their presence and give them zero eye contact.

This problem is easily avoided. Flip flops!

I think maybe some of these guys are not too observant, I have on more than one occasion been approached for a shoe shine when I have been wearing open toed strap on's

• 1 month later...

Mr. Michael's Thai girlfriend stated that they were drinking at a bar when the Thai man approached them – offering his shoe polish service. Her boyfriend refused but the shoe polisher pestered him to take the service. When her boyfriend mumbled something in English, the man hit him in the face and fled.

Libya 115 says:

Violent Thai me??????????????????????EH!

It's better to totally ignore their presence and give them zero eye contact.

Totaly agree with you there tropo, I look through them as if they don't exist, the polite thank you just acknowledges their existance, with regards to telling people to <deleted> off, I usually get a 100% sucess rate with that one when passing Indian Tailors you profess to be my mate.