Pattaya: Foreigner/Thai couple end up in a hole after eating at restaurant

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV went to the scene after a foreign tourist and Thai partner drove a white car into a hole on Sukhumvit Road. 

Fortunately they were only going slowly so no one was hurt but they needed assistance to be hauled out. 

Now they want to know who will take responsibility for the damage.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

It happened in an area of large scale drainage work in North Pattaya and at this point there is an opening for the VT restaurant.

The tourist said they had gone to the restaurant and as they were leaving in heavy rain yesterday an area had quickly subsided causing the accident. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-12

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Should have gone to Specsavers ? 

Maybe if the driver had turned into the inside/laft lane and not tried to drive a right angle into the middle/fast lane?

In which case he would have driven straight into whatever is behind the barriers presumably put there to discourage people driving there. 

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Should have gone to Specsavers ? 

Maybe if the driver had turned into the inside/laft lane and not tried to drive a right angle into the middle/fast lane?

Were you there to come up with this presumptuous statement? I wasn't and am glad no one was injured of killed.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Justtaste said:

They should blame the rain then????

And  Buddha made it rain so it's his fault? No, it's really the driver's karma isn't it? 

You see, the trick is to push the chain of responsibility so far that you can safely posit that it's nobody's fault. Then everybody concerned is in  satisfied agreement and there is no need to take any action whatsoever. 

I suppose it has nothing to do with the fact that they do like to build on sand ( same as their pavements/sidewalks ) and eventually the rain washes away what was there, typical carp workmanship, nothing less.

The picture is of the latest widening project on Soi Siam CC, notice all that red sand type stuff ? They will either lay Tarmac or a concrete surface, sooner or later the red stuff will wash away, you can guess the rest ???????????????? ????

20210317_173452.jpg

20210317_173459.jpg

Edited by Golden Triangle

7 hours ago, webfact said:

went to the scene after a foreign tourist and Thai partner drove a white car into a hole on Sukhumvit Road. 

I've eaten in a few holes, driven into some too, but never in the road.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kerryd said:

This is really a common occurrence all over the country. Everywhere I go I see the same thing. Sagging roadways and massive potholes, even on roads that are only a couple years old.

And it seems in some cases, they simply can't be bothered with fixing any of them. At least not until either the entire road collapses or someone dies in an accident.

Driving the Mae Hong Son loop in Dec 2019, there were numerous areas (on the "downhill" side of the road) where it had subsided enough to be a hazard and all they did was put some traffic barricades up. On the other side, I saw a spot where a small landslide was covering the East lane and the same thing. They'd put some concrete barriers up, but the dirt had been there long enough that bushes were growing out of the dirt (so it had to have been there for a couple months at least).

Highway 359 heading to/from Sa Kaeo. I remember when they resurfaced it and for a couple years it was great. But whatever you do, do NOT drive in the left lane near the shoulder ! Numerous spots, especially on the West bound side, where massive dips have developed as the ground has subsided underneath and a lot of heavy trucks have driven over those spots. And it's not like you see at a lot of intersections where the roadway is "wavy" from the weight of the big trucks driving slowly along (or stopped waiting for the lights). 
The depressions I'm mentioning are usually out in the veritable middle of nowhere, with no real explanation for how they've occurred other than poor workmanship when the road was resurfaced.

I've bottomed out my forks on some pretty massive potholes on the main highways time and again. Many of the small secondary roads are worse and some of the even smaller roads (i.e. the ones with just 2 lanes and shoulders barely wide enough for a gecko to safely stroll down) are almost to the point of not being roads at all as they are mostly just a series of holes with little bits of old asphalt or concrete linking them together.

And they may be like that for decades.

I don't know for sure, but I think the Suk would fall under Federal jurisdiction as far as who is responsible for it ? Smaller highways would come under Provincial  (or district) jurisdiction and then roads within the city would fall under City Hall's responsibility.

In this case, their insurance should cover their repairs and then it would be up to the insurance company to go after whoever they think is responsible. That is, assuming they have insurance of course !

I guess you have not been back on the MHS loop in a while, great road now. They do have some construction improving a few section of the highway

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suppose it has nothing to do with the fact that they do like to build on sand ( same as their pavements/sidewalks ) and eventually the rain washes away what was there, typical carp workmanship, nothing less.

The picture is of the latest widening project on Soi Siam CC, notice all that red sand type stuff ? They will either lay Tarmac or a concrete surface, sooner or later the red stuff will wash away, you can guess the rest ????????????????????

20210317_173452.jpg

20210317_173459.jpg

You forgot to mention, new drainage piping full of the red stuff due to open wells and heavy rain, will never be cleaned out!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shuya said:

I put my money on "not my fault" from everyone involved. Blame the rain. 

Act of Buddha; not my problem buck passing all the way up and down the line.