Pool Cleaning Cost

Neeranam

I'm buying a new house. Looking at one with a swimming pool in Hua Hin.

The woman who already lives there says she pays 4,000 baht a month to look after it.

It's a bout 8 m x 4 m

What's a good rate and would it be easy for my wife to clean it by herself? ???? 

• Haha 1

I think @Bagwain is correct about the cost.

I have a bigger pool and have one of the local farmers clean it weekly. (I've been working on various things with him for about 5 years). Pay him B1200/month for the pool cleaning, but he usually does other things after the cleaning and gets more. So I think B2000 is OK. 

We have a saltwater pool so not much trouble at all. 

I wouldn't leave it to your wifey, as you want someone to do it regularly (weekly).

• Like 1

@Neeranam we live in Hua Hin and have a salt water pool slightly bigger than the size you quote, about 13 x 5 m, we pay 2,000 Baht a month for cleaning twice a week.

The guy and his team seem to concentrate their work on a couple of estates off 112, so may not be handy for you, but we're more than happy with their work.

• Like 1

We pay 1,800B for a relatively large pool.  2x per week.  I converted to salt water several years ago.  Super easy to maintain.  All they do is pop in, test the water, vacuum, and leave.  Easy to do myself, but we are away a lot.  So need a service to take care of it.  Plus, if anything goes wrong, they come immediately and sort it out.

• Like 1

I do my own , I have a 16 mtr salt water pool I would suggest if the pool is cleaned at least twice a week then 3 to 4,000 baht per month is about right but be aware you would still have to pay for the products the pool fella where I live charges 3,000 per month but as I live on the property full time I choose to do it as I find it relaxing as I clean it in the early hours of the morning when it’s nice and cool.

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 10:12 AM, theoldgit said:

@Neeranam we live in Hua Hin and have a salt water pool slightly bigger than the size you quote, about 13 x 5 m, we pay 2,000 Baht a month for cleaning twice a week.

The guy and his team seem to concentrate their work on a couple of estates off 112, so may not be handy for you, but we're more than happy with their work.

I'm just west of Huahin, have a pool size similar to yours, saltwater also. I pay ฿2,500/month. The guy is here about an hour twice a week and does an excellent cleaning/skimming/scrubbing job as well as measuring and adjusting the salt and chlorine levels.

I bought some test strips to check him and he's maintaining it perfectly. I do clean the salt cell myself with hydrochloric acid 30% that I got from him. He never charges me for salt or chemicals and is very reliable. 

I think his rate is very acceptable. There is no way I'm willing to spend that much effort myself for what he charges. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, RocketDog said:

I'm just west of Huahin, have a pool size similar to yours, saltwater also. I pay ฿2,500/month. The guy is here about an hour twice a week and does an excellent cleaning/skimming/scrubbing job as well as measuring and adjusting the salt and chlorine levels.

I bought some test strips to check him and he's maintaining it perfectly. I do clean the salt cell myself with hydrochloric acid 30% that I got from him. He never charges me for salt or chemicals and is very reliable. 

I think his rate is very acceptable. There is no way I'm willing to spend that much effort myself for what he charges. 

Don't over wash your cell with acid?water. You will shorten its life. Maybe once a yr with acid/water. Use liquid detergent to get rid of oils. That is the best as it is oils/bodyfat that inhibits the manufacturing of the Cl gas!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Don't over wash your cell with acid?water. You will shorten its life. Maybe once a yr with acid/water. Use liquid detergent to get rid of oils. That is the best as it is oils/bodyfat that inhibits the manufacturing of the Cl gas!

Good point of information.

Vinegar, acetic acid, will dissolve the calcium deposits, but 20:1 water/HCl does a better job much faster. I usually clean it that way twice a year, but leave in the acid solution for only a few minutes to erode the outer surfaces of the deposits enough to mechanically remove the large pieces from the cell fins.  The soap idea is a good one I'll add to the procedure after the sodium bicarbonate flush to neutralize the HCl. Fortunately, I'm the only one that uses the pool and of course I'm immaculately clean before I enter! 5555

• 3 weeks later...

Get your woman on the case, Neeranam! Once a week would be fine, certainly wouldn't want anyone mooching around more than that. Pool owners should be prepared to get their feet wet, so to speak. In the real world, they're lucky if an engineer visits fortnightly... plus it'll cost em 4k (of your silly money) to look at it. If salt pool, keep an eye on your pH (typically high), and yes don't go bunging high acid over the cell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The electric for pump and an addition of water should not cost more than 1,000B/m at 8 hour/d running. Then, the cleaning, bottom vacuuming, backwashing by yourself (don't you have the pool for keeping yourself in form?).

If you use salt water then the salt and pH minus maintenance cost something. Why not to use normal water with occasional chlorinating by hand dosing (twice a week) and occasional care against algaes...  

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Getting closer to buying. 

One thing I am a bit paranoid about is the lights. 

Are there pool professionals around, and what should be checked?

I am available to discuss just PM me!

30 yrs in commercial & domestic pools in 4 countries!

Cheers

Edited by Bagwain

Assuming that most of the farangs in Thailand are here retired, i.e. do not have a daily business to attend.  In fact, nothing much to do, so why to engage somebody for such an easy job as the pool cleaning, maintenance?

Even if the hiring of somebody here is not so expensive matter as in other "developed" countries. However, how can one rely that the job is properly executed, cared after? What professionalism of these - mostly boys - hired by pool servicing companies for cheap salary can be? 

Besides, that nobody can do it better than yourself, seeing things that need some improvement, mending, etc...

Isn't the purpose of the swimming pool being a means to keep one in a proper physical form? Together with the maintenance?

In my backyard experience - and with a simple "Hi-Tec" equipment - I do a vacuuming once a week, only sometimes more frequent when a strong rain with storm brings a lot of dirt, then also backwashing. Sometimes in-between within months or two also a brushing of walls and bottom. And the manual dispersion of the chemicals whenever it needs (once I have not forgotten). And once in few months cleaning the overflow basin, flushing and pumping out the remaining dirt.

I cannot imagine that such my care would be in the same way properly executed by a boy from somewhere while I am laying on sofa with a beer in front of me, perhaps supervising him by my CCTV?

I'm buying a new house. Looking at one with a swimming pool in Hua Hin.

The woman who already lives there says she pays 4,000 baht a month to look after it.

It's a bout 8 m x 4 m

What's a good rate and would it be easy for my wife to clean it by herself? ???? 

She should stop looking after it and actually "cleaning" it 555

• 11 months later...

Hi there, 

I live in South Carolina, and I built myself an inground pool in the backyard of my house, close to 800sq.ft. It is rectangular and 2 meters deep.

In the two years since I built the pool, I have always done light cleaning myself every day and then deep cleaning up to twice a week.

At the end of May, I ended up with a cordless pool robot on Amazon, which came up as Best Seller in my search. So far, so good, no cords, cleans as well as I could have hoped, and my family is happy with it.

This is my experience, and I hope it will help you.