One-way Ticket Into Bkk

I have a one-way ticket from the US to BKK. Is this going to be a problem in getting the 30-day entry visa upon arrival or with applying for a tourist visa here in the states? The application form requires a copy of the airticket and I'm wondering if I'm going to need to show that I'm leaving. I'm not planning on leaving and actually planning on obtaining a teaching job and applying for a work permit through this.

Hi

officially the 30 day visa on entry requires a return ticket and funds check on arrival buy have never seen this happen.

What do you need to apply for in US?

the 30 day visa is given freely to pretty well everyone.

I am pretty sure that if you want to gain a stronger visa and employment you will be required to leave the country to apply for it so you might want a return ticket if a saving?

Others????

Agree with the above.....why dont you just apply for a double entry tourist visa in the U.S they are not that expensive and that will cover you for 6 months here while you decide what to do...if you have the double entry visa or single entry for that matter you wont need a return ticket to board the plane........i wouldnt risk getting to your departure gate at the airport and refused boarding because you dont have one.

By all means listen to Bronco, but dont forget irrelevant of what your carrier says, the bottom line is you may get to Bangkok as a 30 day on arrival case and you may be the 1000/1 shot that immigration ask to see your return ticket........i cant see why you dont just apply for a single/double entry visa in the U.S and then you are covered.......good luck anyways.

I take the point about checking with the carrier first, but I shall be entering via Bkk soon with a one-way ticket, for the usual 30 day flyer. However, I plan to leave via overnight bus from Hatyai to KL.

As a bus ticket can only be bought on the spot, anyone know how this one would stand up. Hmmm?

technically you require the outward ticket ,to arrive and be given 30 day stay . key word being technically!!! as thaiflyer rightly points out ,you may be the one in a thousand who is asked to show outward travel ,chances are you wont be . the airline policy could prove to be more of a problem than thai immigration . proof of sufficient funds SHOULD be satisfactory hopefully. good luck .

I went on a one way ticket to Thailand last year. The airline did ask about my visa. I had a one year non-immigrat type O. Told them "look no airline would sell me a one year plus open return ticket." Maybe they would have let me on anyway, but maybe not. If Thai immigration refuses you, I believe the airline must return you to America at their expense.

Be prepared for extra security searching at the US airport also. One way tickets are a red flag with airport security.

Go get a multiple entry visa of some sort.

Are you sure that you need a return ticket?

According to the Thai consulate in Hull, all you need is a prepaid ticket out of Thailand (doesn't say anything about it having to be a return to the country of origin)

These are easily available for 500BT plus taxes from airasia.com

According to the Thai consulate in Hull, all you need is a prepaid ticket out of Thailand (doesn't say anything about it having to be a return to the country of origin)

You got it right Steve, proof of ongoing travel from LOS, Air Asia is a great idea.

Hull also gives another option. With a valid Thai visa no outbound airticket is necessary. It is a case of one or the other.

Guys

READ the original posters question

He IS IN Thailand already :D

Last week was looking for a second hand bed in Pattaya!

As an aside

Thailand issues 30 days on arrival to most countries and has anyone heard of tickets being checked?

It is perfectly feasible to buy a one way ticket to Thailand and then choose the next destination whilst here. Just do not overstay :o

Threads almost ran its course.......but i must disagree with cutethaigirl, although it may be feasible to come here on a one way ticket without an onward ticket or visa it is not advisable.....i/m with Doc on this one, there are only really 2 safe options they are come with a visa of some sort or have an onward ticket (not neccessarily a return ticket).

Guys

He IS IN Thailand already 

Exactly how do you come to that conclusion? It is his first post, at least under this name, and it was registered yesterday. From reading I can find nothing to indicate he is in Thailand. :o

Sorry :D

Losing it :o

CT

No! Blame the rainy seson.... :D

BTW:

...has anyone heard of tickets being checked?

Yes, about 50 % of all my flights. I mentioned b4, use a passport that has no Thai-Visa and a tickets that end in BKK. Usually, SIN and HKG quite strict and only let me go, when I show my visain another p/port.

I've flown out of the US to BKK on a one way ticket and no visa. The airline had a fit at the check in, but a supervisor came out and made me sign a form releasing them of responsibility and that I acknowledge that I may be required to buy a return ticket and that I have the means to do so upon arrival into BKK. I know of another person that went through the same thing with another airline. I've never been asked to show a return ticket upon arrival at BKK.

I'm not one to press my luck, so I've never done that again.

Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely applying for the visa on this side. I'm working on the application now and they require a copy of your flight ticket. Could I run into the same problem with the application because I only have a one-way ticket? My thought now is to get an air or train ticket out of the country and print up that itinerary as well to send in with the app. Would this work well?

Also, if I send out my application tomorrow and I plan on leaving by July 21st, should I pay extra for the fast shipping with the embassy? I appreciate your guys' suggestions so far and welcome a few more.

I'm working on the application now and they require a copy of your flight ticket.

From which Thai consular office are you applying for a tourist visa that they require a copy of your plane ticket?

My suggestion is to download a copy of the visa application from the Thai embassy in Washington's website and use it apply for a tourist visa with the honorary Thai consul in Houston. The Houston office is fairly relaxed, won't require the plane ticket copy and will turn around your application in short order. Send your passport and application to them via overnight mail along with a prepaid return mailer (regular first-class) and it should be back to you in about a week.

Guys

He IS IN Thailand already :D

As an aside

Thailand issues 30 days on arrival to most countries and has anyone heard of tickets being checked?

It is perfectly feasible to buy a one way ticket to Thailand and then choose the next destination whilst here. Just do not overstay :o

The airlines won't agree with you CTG.

Thanks for the Houston tip, Ovenman. I actually found that the Los Angeles consulate services Arizona residents, so I'm sending it to them. They do not mention a copy of flight tickets on their requirements for a tourist visa. It was the Washington consulate that I originally saw that on and I may have been looking at requirements for visas other than tourist ones. Regardless, I'm sending my app today and I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the Houston tip, Ovenman. I actually found that the Los Angeles consulate services Arizona residents, so I'm sending it to them. They do not mention a copy of flight tickets on their requirements for a tourist visa. It was the Washington consulate that I originally saw that on and I may have been looking at requirements for visas other than tourist ones. Regardless, I'm sending my app today and I'm pretty excited.

Go for it Josh. You have made a wise decision here. The best of luck :o

When I first came to Thailand 2 years ago from Boston I bought a one way ticket with United Airlines, because I didn't know how long I was staying, and precisely because I read that Thailand never checks 2-way tickets.

The bastards at United Airlines wouldn't let me board. So I had to buy a return ticket right there at the counter, at full price. But the deal was that I could change or return that ticket once I was here. So I went to the United Airlines office across from the American Embassy and had them refund my credit card. I think because the ticket was full price directly from the carrier there was no problem in my getting a refund.

Josh....dont worry providing you have any type of visa you wont be refused boarding. The problem only arises when you try to visit Thailand without a visa.....i.e 30 day on arrival entry, then the airlines will stop you boarding without an onward ticket. Just continue with your present course of action ,you/ll be ok.

When I first came to Thailand 2 years ago from Boston I bought a one way ticket with United Airlines, because I didn't know how long I was staying, and precisely because I read that Thailand never checks 2-way tickets.

The bastards at United Airlines wouldn't let me board. So I had to buy a return ticket right there at the counter, at full price. But the deal was that I could change or return that ticket once I was here. So I went to the United Airlines office across from the American Embassy and had them refund my credit card. I think because the ticket was full price directly from the carrier there was no problem in my getting a refund.

The carriers will refuse to board you if you are in posession of a one way ticket with no valid visa for Thailand. Saw it happen to a young lad at the Thai check in counter in Australia last year. QF being the handlers for Thai Airways there, insisted that he purchase a return ticket (full price) before boarding him.

I always purchase return tickets in Thailand, (cheaper) so I'm always travelling back to Thailand on a one way ticket, but I have valid visas, so there is never a problem. However, the airlines ALWAYS check my passport for a visa.