Bangkok Pattaya Hospital..Where is the Care?...

steviekes

This is the BKK Pattaya Hospital Email address. [email protected]

A barage of emails may make them think if they see that this could affect their reputation and therefore their income.

Let us all email them insisting on the following:

1) An explanation for why Matt was not stabilised brefore being transported.

2) A statement that they will in future always stabilise Trauma victims before transporting them and that will be future hospital policy

We need to make them understand that their paying customers will not stand for this type of treatment for farrangs or Thai's in an emergency situation.

Howard>> Organise a petition on your news program lets get everyone here involved in putting pressure on all private hospitals to have a trauma policy in place. They are commercial entrerprises so let us make them understand that this type of action is not acceptable for any one and threaten them where it hurts, their wallets.

I have been using them for the past 7 years and have emailed two doctors directly that have treated my family asking them also to help if they want continued custom.

Emailing the doctors directly might help if you have any direct contact as they will be the ones to loose out if you stop going for treatment.

Matt was my son's teacher also it is a great shame that he died because of lack of care.

I agree. Mat was also my sons teacher. I have written and attached the picture and article from the Pattaya People News paper to Mr. John Kasich who has a weekend show on Fox News. Mr. Kasich hosts the heartland on Saturdays from Mats home state of Ohio, and is also a retired congressman from the same state.

Barry

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be wrong of me to draw any other conclusion with the facts that I have to hand.

Call me a cynic but it sounds to me like they threw the good old defamation book at you .... :o

I resent your remark above.

I was unaware of this forum or for that matter the facts with regard to what happened to Matt after he was taken by the rescuers so I felt unable to comment in an objective way until said facts revealed themselves. The date and time of the post I believe is still evident on the blog.

I have since spoken to some of Matt's friends and to be honest I am at this time in a state of shock as to the sequence of events that followed Matt's accident.

Parents have lost a son, friends and colleagues have lost a person who I have subsequently found out was loved and well thought of. From my own personal perspective I am trying to come to terms with the fact that I could have done more for Matt.

But hey, dont let any of that stop you from voicing your conspiracy theories on a website discussion board to get your post count up.

Grow up.

Grow up? Post count? You lost me here! Do you really think this has anything to do with post count???

Yes, it is a terrible loss to friends and family but this thread is about the business practice and morals of BP. Your blog and posts here were clearly indicating a problem with BP, now you suddenly are falling over yourself to emphasize what a professional and well equipped outfit they are. I'll draw my own conclusions.

It's been a week. Plenty of time for BP to stand up and clarify any misunderstandings! Did they? Of course not!

Facts do not "reveal themselves" in Thailand. They are swept under the carpet and forgotten unless someone keeps making enough noise - though more often than not this is countered by the defamation laws, hence my comment.

Yes, it is a terrible loss to friends and family but this thread is about the business practice and morals of BP.

Please excuse me for breaking your rules.

Your blog and posts here were clearly indicating a problem with BP,

I think it is pretty clear from both my blog and my posts that I am shocked due to the manner in which Matt was treated.

now you suddenly are falling over yourself to emphasize what a professional and well equipped outfit they are.

Did you really just say that out loud? You really are an exceptionally insulting little man, does your ability to take any comment out of context, twist it and then use it for the benefit of a pissing competition know no bounds?

I am "falling over" myself to emphasize what a proffesional outfit they are? Is this your idea of a sick joke? Have you any idea how distasteful your comments are?

I'll draw my own conclusions.

As you can see so have I.

Now as this is one pissing competition I have no desire to win or be involved in I will leave you to it. Please dont waste the bandwidth with a reply that wont be read..... by me at least.

Edited by tatt2dude

Hello to everyone. My name is Mark Hayes, Matt was my younger brother.

I have to agree with Chris, please if you cannot be civil in disagrement, take it to another thread.

I am ashamed to admit that it has taken this long for me to find this thread. It's 5:00 am in Cleveland, Ohio as I type this and I have been reading about Matt here and on other sites for the last 6 hours.

First, let me say how much I appreciate the concern and well wishes from everyone. It seems that although Matt was only in Thailand for 8 months, he made an impression on many people.

I especially want to thank tatt2dude (sorry, I don't have a proper name for you). I can only hope to someday aid someone else, as you did my little brother. You did everything that was prudent, you have nothing to regret. As a fellow motorcyclist, I wish the moto-gods shower you in good karma.

I don't want to say to much right now, as I have a tremendous amount of information to process, but much of what I have read tonight was previously unknown to me. I still do not understand the circumstances of his accident or subsequent treatment, transfer and ultimatley his passing. I can say that quite a bit of what I have read does not coincide with what my family has been told. I hope to discover the truth of it.

I also don't know for certain the extent or particulars of Matt's injuries. I strongly suspect though, that Matt would still be here today had this happened in the US.

Emergency treatment is the law here. I'm not saying that hospitals haven't ever exploited loop holes and done unscrupulous things, but those were individual cases and not institutional practice. If you need emergency medical attention in the US and show up at any hospital, no matter who you are, you will get it.

Understand that I don't think our system is perfect or even "The Best in the World" as many of our politicians seem so fond of claiming.

But none of that really matters, does it? Matt's gone now, nothing and no one can bring him back. If some good, some sort of change in the Thai system of medicine can result from this senseless waste, that would at least be some comfort.

Thank you all again for your condolences, know that your kind words have found Matt's family and friends here at home, and that we deeply appreciate them.

Mark Hayes

I may be wrong here and even out of order but is BP the main hospital for BUPA in Pattaya, I was certainly told to go there by my BUPA agent if I needed any treatment. Now as stated by another TV member he carries his insurance card at all times, so do I but is that the Law!!! What if I forgot it, had an accident and was taken there!!!! more probably what if it was in my wallet but that wasn't there when I got to BP perhaps in need of emergancy treatment. Makes me wonder if Insurance is worth the bother here.

I may be wrong here and even out of order but is BP the main hospital for BUPA in Pattaya, I was certainly told to go there by my BUPA agent if I needed any treatment.

On the BUPA International list of Participating hospitals for the Pattaya region Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is the only one in the Pattaya area which is on the list.

Although it also states above the list the following:-

You can use any recognised health care provider (as explained in your membership guide).

You may occupy a standard single en-suite room in any hospital of your choice.

"You really are an exceptionally insulting little man"

"pissing competition" (twice)

and I'm the one who is not using civil language????

:o

PS. assuming you are the guy with the tattooed arms on the accident picture you should really not be going around calling anyone "little man".

First, let me say thank you to Mark Hayes, Matt's older brother for writing to us as above. Mark, my heart goes out to you and all Matt's family and friends. May you be comforted.

The following is "Patient's Bill of Rights" which is included in the "bedside" information at the hospital I use. I think that it probably applies to all hospitals in Thailand.

The whole text:

To further develop the relationship between patients and professional healthcare providers based on understanding and trust, the Medical, Nursing, Pharmacy and Dentistry councils have jointly endorsed the following patient rights:

1. All patients have the fundamental right to healthcare services, as stated in the Thai Constitution.

2. Patients have the right to healthcare services from professional healthcare providers regardless of their financial, social and political status, race, nationality, religion, sex, age and their medical condition.

3. Patients have the right to be fully informed of their medical condition in order to be able to decide whether to undergo treatment, except in cases of an emergency.

4. Patients who are in critical condition have the right to receive immediate and appropriate emergency treatment from professional healthcare providers, even if the patients have not requested such treatment.

5. Patients have the right to know the identity and the medical specialty of the professional healthcare provider who renders the care to them.

6. Patients have the right to seek a second opinion from other professional healthcare providers and to request for transfer to another healthcare facility if so desired.

7. Patients have the right to confidentiality. Information may only be released if they so consent or if required by law.

8. Patients have the right to be fully informed in order to decide if they are willing to participate in any medical experiments undertaken by the professional healthcare providers.

9. Patients have the right to be informed of their treatment or care as documented in the medical records, provided that the release of information does not violate the rights of others.

10. A parent or legal guardian may exercise the above rights on behalf of a patient who is under 18 years of age or who is physically and/or mentally incompetent in managing his/her own affairs.”

I have only just come across this thread, and it saddens me greatly that this terrible and tragic death might have been avoided.

RIP Matt, and my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

Sadly, what happened does not surprise me in the least, and those of us who have been around Pattaya for a while, who have had personal experiences at this so-called hospital, and have read thread upon thread of damning personal stories about this so-called hospital, will be in no doubt what this hospital is capable of.

Phil Connors and others, know very well what a 'money-grabbing', totally unprincipled and unprofessional bunch they are at this rip off joint , that dares to call itself a hospital, and it does no-one any credit to try and defend such a reprehensible organisation. Time and time again, we have seen evidence of double pricing, treble pricing,'whatever the insurer will bear' pricing, one price when you go in, another price when you go out, mis-diagnosing, unnecessary surgery and treatments... I could go on and on. but this is not the place and time.

It is good that folk have been woken up enough by this tragic affair to consider boycotting the place - believe me, I kid you not, you will be healthier and safer if you do so.

It will also be very good if this matter is really aired in the media, not only here but overseas, because there is a small chance that someone, somewhere will finally take some notice and do something. Unlikely, but it's worth a try.

In memory of Matt. if nothing else.

I have only just come across this thread, and it saddens me greatly that this terrible and tragic death might have been avoided.

RIP Matt, and my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

Sadly, what happened does not surprise me in the least, and those of us who have been around Pattaya for a while, who have had personal experiences at this so-called hospital, and have read thread upon thread of damning personal stories about this so-called hospital, will be in no doubt what this hospital is capable of.

Phil Connors and others, know very well what a 'money-grabbing', totally unprincipled and unprofessional bunch they are at this rip off joint , that dares to call itself a hospital, and it does no-one any credit to try and defend such a reprehensible organisation. Time and time again, we have seen evidence of double pricing, treble pricing,'whatever the insurer will bear' pricing, one price when you go in, another price when you go out, mis-diagnosing, unnecessary surgery and treatments... I could go on and on. but this is not the place and time.

It is good that folk have been woken up enough by this tragic affair to consider boycotting the place - believe me, I kid you not, you will be healthier and safer if you do so.

It will also be very good if this matter is really aired in the media, not only here but overseas, because there is a small chance that someone, somewhere will finally take some notice and do something. Unlikely, but it's worth a try. In memory of Matt. if nothing else.

I missed this thread, thought it was something else.

Condolences to the family and friends.

This is disgraceful that a person should die under these circumstances

In pattaya Thailand.

The hospital is now off my list of places I will take my family and myself.

Anymore.

just a quick suggestion as many people myself included have obviously missed this disturbing thread, maybe the title and sub-heading could be amended?? So that this thread can have the readership it deserves.

Good idea - I nearly missed it too.

1. I do not see any sign of the helmet he should have been wearig

2. Accident victims are normally taken to the public hospital in Naklua, where more serious injuries are referred to the provincial hospital in Chonburi

3. He would never have been turned away from a private hospital in the US because he could not pay the bill. :o

An eye-witness to the incident has confirmed that Matt was wearing a helmet.

This Sunday, May 13th, friends of Matt's and members of the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital will be telling their stories at the Pattaya Expats Club. The meeting is at the Grand Sole Hotel, 2nd road, close to the Pattaya Mail office, between Central Pattaya and North Pattaya Road. All interested parties are urged to attend. The meeting starts at 11.30 am.

Thanks Steve, we will be there and we have also emailed Bangkok hospital Pattaya and told them to remove us from their list of customers we will not be using them anymore and the reason why.

This Sunday, May 13th, friends of Matt's and members of the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital will be telling their stories at the Pattaya Expats Club. The meeting is at the Grand Sole Hotel, 2nd road, close to the Pattaya Mail office, between Central Pattaya and North Pattaya Road. All interested parties are urged to attend. The meeting starts at 11.30 am.

This is taken from the PEC Newsletter it seems to infer rather than a representative being there on Sunday they will have three statements from the hospital. Though I hope a representative of the hospital does attend.

''A most unfortunate accident occurred to a Mr. Matt Hayes, a young English teacher from America. He was injured this last week by hitting a truck on a rented motorbike, and was reportedly not wearing a helmet. He was rushed to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, where, his expat friends contend, he was turned away from emergency room treatment because of having no ID on him. According to reports, Matt was then put on a pick-up truck and advised to drive to Chonburi hospital. He didn't survive the road journey and died of internal bleeding.

The PEC and Pattaya People reporters will be seeking three hospital statements about what their emergency admission policy is, and whether ID's are required. Matt's expat friends conjecture that he might have lived if treated on arrival at BPH.''

Thank you Mark for writing this and my sincere condolences to you and your family it must be a terrible shock and difficult for you to come to terms with, especially with the circumstances surrounding Matt's death.

My children also attend BEST school in Pattaya and Matt is going to be sadly missed when they start back to school on Monday.

Rest assured that there are many people here in Pattaya as well as colleagues and friends of Matt that are outraged by the treatment (or lack of) at Bangkok hospital Pattaya and we will be keeping the pressure on to get an explanation.

I can understand how tatt2dude feels and I am sure on reading his blog that he did what he could and watching Matt go off in an emergency rescue vehicle to a renowned international hospital he must have thought Matt was going to the best place under the circumstances as anyone in this situation would I think, he wasn't to know what would happen when Matt arrived at the hospital (I still find it hard to believe).

What happened to Matt from what I have read and heard so far is truly shocking and I think that Matt would have had a much better change of survival if he had had emergency treatment administered at Bangkok hospital Pattaya instead of being refused admission and sent elsewhere.

We will contiune the pressure on this hospital to find out what happened and the call to boycott their services. We will press for media coverage of this case and also a full enquiry and explanation from the hospital. My wife and I will at the meeting on Sunday (May 13th) to show support and listen to what is being said.

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/currentnewsletter.htm

This is the link to the current PEC newsletter. Please read.

This is taken from the PEC Newsletter it seems to infer rather than a representative being there on Sunday they will have three statements from the hospital. Though I hope a representative of the hospital does attend.

''A most unfortunate accident occurred to a Mr. Matt Hayes, a young English teacher from America. He was injured this last week by hitting a truck on a rented motorbike, and was reportedly not wearing a helmet. He was rushed to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, where, his expat friends contend, he was turned away from emergency room treatment because of having no ID on him. According to reports, Matt was then put on a pick-up truck and advised to drive to Chonburi hospital. He didn't survive the road journey and died of internal bleeding.

The PEC and Pattaya People reporters will be seeking three hospital statements about what their emergency admission policy is, and whether ID's are required. Matt's expat friends conjecture that he might have lived if treated on arrival at BPH.''

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/currentnewsletter.htm

This is the link to the current PEC newsletter. Please read.

There is nothing in the "Patients' Bill of Rights" that says a patient must have ID.

Patients' Bill of Rights

To further develop the relationship between patients and professional healthcare providers based on understanding and trust, the Medical, Nursing, Pharmacy and Dentistry councils have jointly endorsed the following patient rights:

1. All patients have the fundamental right to healthcare services, as stated in the Thai Constitution.

2. Patients have the right to healthcare services from professional healthcare providers regardless of their financial, social and political status, race, nationality, religion, sex, age and their medical condition.

3. Patients have the right to be fully informed of their medical condition in order to be able to decide whether to undergo treatment, except in cases of an emergency.

4. Patients who are in critical condition have the right to receive immediate and appropriate emergency treatment from professional healthcare providers, even if the patients have not requested such treatment.

5. Patients have the right to know the identity and the medical specialty of the professional healthcare provider who renders the care to them.

6. Patients have the right to seek a second opinion from other professional healthcare providers and to request for transfer to another healthcare facility if so desired.

7. Patients have the right to confidentiality. Information may only be released if they so consent or if required by law.

8. Patients have the right to be fully informed in order to decide if they are willing to participate in any medical experiments undertaken by the professional healthcare providers.

9. Patients have the right to be informed of their treatment or care as documented in the medical records, provided that the release of information does not violate the rights of others.

10. A parent or legal guardian may exercise the above rights on behalf of a patient who is under 18 years of age or who is physically and/or mentally incompetent in managing his/her own affairs.”

I may be wrong here and even out of order but is BP the main hospital for BUPA in Pattaya, I was certainly told to go there by my BUPA agent if I needed any treatment.

On the BUPA International list of Participating hospitals for the Pattaya region Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is the only one in the Pattaya area which is on the list.

You can use any recognised health care provider (as explained in your membership guide).

I too have insurance for myself, my wife and son with Bupa. I had a fight with BPH in December when they first more than doubled their rates without sending out notification to their current patients that live here in Pattaya. This hospital is ISO certifies and the company that has issued them the certificate is in Bangkok. I might suggest writing E mails to their certifying company and bring these issues to their attention as it could very well be a violation of their certification. In december the management of Bupa in Pattaya advised me that they still have a contract with BPH, but to the north both hospitals in Sriracha are under contract with direct pay. granted in an emergency that is too far to travel, but for your regular medical and dental needs 30 kilometers is not that far.

Barry

From the Pattaya People

Hit and Run Truck Tragedy

american_injured30.jpg

Speeding Truck Driver Kills American Motorcyclist

A speeding truck driver hit a foreign motorcyclist and caused him serious injuries in the morning of 28th April at the junction between Soi Korphai and Bongkot on South Pattaya Road.

The injured foreigner was found to be Mr. Matt Gerald Hayes aged 32, from Ohio in the USA.

Witnesses to the crash helped give the man first aid before the Sawang Rescuers arrived to take him to hospital.

They stated that the truck, license plate no. 83-0897 Chonburi, is a construction company truck. It came at high speed and hit the American traveling on his rented Honda Wave motorbike at full force, when he was trying to make a turn into Soi Korphai, leaving the man with serious head wounds, and then sped off without stopping. Sadly, Mr. Hayes died whilst he was being transferred from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya to Chonburi hospital.

Police Captain Suriya Wariwong from Pattaya Police Station was there on that day and is in charge of this case.

He stated that is this case; the police have found the ten wheeled truck belonging to a construction company that hit the American and seized it. The police have also contacted the owner of the construction company and informed the representative of the insurance company of the truck to be responsible for the payment to the deceased man’s family.

According to the act of legislation, each deceased person’s family will be paid 35,000 Baht from the motorbike’s insurance immediately. Other than that, the insurance company also has to pay another amount of money to the deceased person’s family – and also the insurance company of the truck, but the amount depends on what kind of agreement they have with the insurance company.

In the case of Mr. Hayes, he had rented the motorbike that he was on in the accident that day.

At the moment the police have cooperated with the insurance company of the truck and have issued a letter to the owner of the construction company to be questioned at the police station so that the police would know the name of the driver of the truck. This is to be certain of which party was wrong in the accident. However, at the moment the police have already charged “irresponsible driving, causing death, and fleeing the scene (hit and run)”, until the driver is found and questioned. Once they know who the driver is; the police will ask him to come to the station for questioning. If he refuses then the police are forced to issue an arrest warrant for his capture. If he is found guilty then according to law he will be imprisoned and fined. These are the basics of these kinds of cases. The Pattaya Police give their word that they will definitely investigate this case further to serve justice.

As for Bangkok Hospital Pattaya that Mr. Hayes was sent to that morning, Pattaya People staff have tried to find more information about what happened. We talked to the Nurse responsible at the Contact Center of the hospital; Miss Wachiraporn Kaenchan, and she told us that usually, patients that come in from accidents or any kind of emergencies will be accepted straight away and then further proceedings of transferring the patient will be made later – after they have aided the patient first. She also does not understand what happened that morning because this kind of case has never occurred before.

Friends of the deceased wrote to us complaining about the whole procedure of how Thai people handle this kind of case. A British friend of Mr. Hayes stated: “I’ve been told he was taken to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital still alive, but they would not accept him because he was not carrying any ID, so he was put in the back of a pick-up truck and sent all the way to Chonburi and died of internal bleeding on the way. If they would have accepted him at BKK Pattaya then maybe he would still be alive! Maybe if this turns out to be true, you could put a warning in your paper for foreigners telling them to have ID and a copy of their insurance on them at all times? Matt was a well loved teacher at the BEST Burapa Bi-lingual School, Pattaya and will be very missed there.” Graham Nuttall. UK. More friends wrote to Pattaya People Media Group not long after; also saying that Mr. Hayes died on the way to hospital. They are all very upset as their friend was taken on an hour long trip to Chonburi hospital when there are numerous hospitals here in Pattaya and he died in the ambulance on this unnecessary journey. They would like to know; why was he treated this way? They are demanding answers. Why has the killer not been found?

“All Matt’s friends and I only want to know what happened on that tragic day we would be very grateful if you could investigate further on our behalf. The heartless individual who hit Matt and left him to die in the road has still not been traced as of today (Wednesday 2nd). Why when the weapon he used, the truck was located very quickly? I believe a human life should be saved at all cost and immediate treatment administered ASAP at the nearest hospital regardless of the victim’s status be they Thai, European, American and of course wealthy or poor. Matt was a teacher at Best school here in Pattaya, a quiet man. He did not drink or smoke and was well liked by all his Thai and foreign work colleagues and students. He will be sadly missed. May he rest in peace. Thank you again.” Jon Baxter.

This story should be highlighted because this case can be a warning to stop things like this tragic incident happening again. At the time we went to Press it was impossible to get further information from the Investigating Officer but Pattaya People Weekly will certainly follow up with this tragic story.

An important public statement from the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

It has been alleged in the press that a severely injured man was not accepted by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and that the injured man “died in the ambulance on this unnecessary journey” (to Chonburi Hospital), and “if they (the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) would have accepted him … then maybe he would still be alive.”

In the light of these statements, the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya would like the following to be known:

An injured American male was brought to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya by Sawang Boriboon Rescue at 10 a.m. on 28 April, 2007. A speeding truck had hit the victim while he was riding his motorcycle, resulting in multiple serious injuries.

Our doctor at Emergency Room noted the multiple serious injuries, and immediate treatment was given and an urgent CT scan was done. Four specialist doctors (Orthopedic Surgeon, Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeon, and two General Surgeons) attended the man promptly.

The injuries had produced massive blood loss and treatment was instituted, including the following :

1 Restoration of the blood volume with transfusions and pump to bring up the blood pressure.

2. Keeping his blood pressure and pulse up with medications

3. Supply of oxygen via endo-tracheal tube

4. Removal of blood from inside the chest cavity

5. Stabilization of his fracture site.

He had lost a lot of blood and received 4 units while he was at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. As we could not immediately supply enough of the type of blood that he needed, the medical team then decided to transfer him to Chonburi Hospital for further treatment and surgery, after the Chonburi Hospital confirmed that they had a large quantity of his blood group type. The patient’s medical condition dictated the urgent transfer to another hospital.

He had been accepted and treated by our hospital and was not just “put in the back of a pick-up truck and sent all the way to Chonburi.” The real situation was that following emergency diagnosis and treatment, he was sent by ambulance, with an accompanying doctor and two nurses.

Our policy for patients presenting as emergencies is that they are accepted immediately without administrative delay. Formal admission proceedings and/or transfer will be made later, after the patient’s condition has been stabilized as far as is possible.

Allegations that this injured man was turned away, or not accepted by this hospital, are totally incorrect.

Along with his many friends in Pattaya, the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya wishes to extend its sympathies to his family.

This is an absolute disgrace and I too add my sincerest condolences.

If a public protest is being held the date, time, and place of it ought to be publicised and also details given here well in advance.

Can we also have a spokesperson from Bangkok Pattaya to give their side, if they have one?

And the likes of the Pattaya Mail, Pattaya City News etc etc as well as the Bangkok Post and Nation and all TV stations and other media outlets really ought to give this matter priority reporting and investigation.

It has been alleged in the press that a severely injured man was not accepted by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and that the injured man “died in the ambulance on this unnecessary journey” (to Chonburi Hospital), and “if they (the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) would have accepted him … then maybe he would still be alive.”

In the light of these statements, the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya would like the following to be known:

An injured American male was brought to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya by Sawang Boriboon Rescue at 10 a.m. on 28 April, 2007. A speeding truck had hit the victim while he was riding his motorcycle, resulting in multiple serious injuries.

Our doctor at Emergency Room noted the multiple serious injuries, and immediate treatment was given and an urgent CT scan was done. Four specialist doctors (Orthopedic Surgeon, Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeon, and two General Surgeons) attended the man promptly.

The injuries had produced massive blood loss and treatment was instituted, including the following :

1 Restoration of the blood volume with transfusions and pump to bring up the blood pressure.

He had lost a lot of blood and received 4 units while he was at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. As we could not immediately supply enough of the type of blood that he needed, the medical team then decided to transfer him to Chonburi Hospital for further treatment and surgery, after the Chonburi Hospital confirmed that they had a large quantity of his blood group type. The patient’s medical condition dictated the urgent transfer to another hospital.

He had been accepted and treated by our hospital and was not just “put in the back of a pick-up truck and sent all the way to Chonburi.” The real situation was that following emergency diagnosis and treatment, he was sent by ambulance, with an accompanying doctor and two nurses.

Our policy for patients presenting as emergencies is that they are accepted immediately without administrative delay. Formal admission proceedings and/or transfer will be made later, after the patient’s condition has been stabilized as far as is possible.

Allegations that this injured man was turned away, or not accepted by this hospital, are totally incorrect.

Along with his many friends in Pattaya, the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya wishes to extend its sympathies to his family.

This is an absolute disgrace and I too add my sincerest condolences.

If a public protest is being held the date, time, and place of it ought to be publicised and also details given here well in advance.

Can we also have a spokesperson from Bangkok Pattaya to give their side, if they have one?

And the likes of the Pattaya Mail, Pattaya City News etc etc as well as the Bangkok Post and Nation and all TV stations and other media outlets really ought to give this matter priority reporting and investigation.

I am sure that all of you are saying "Surely it would have been safer and simpler to have the blood sent from Chonburi and Matt kept in ICU at BHP with all the surgeons and doctors thoroughly acquainted with his case".

Is BHP saying it does not have the facilities and capability to do the required surgery after the fairly basic treatments of endo-tracheal intubation, chest cavity drainage, and fracture stabilization.

If any of us sustain injuries like Matt's will we too be sent to Chonburi Hospital?

I am sure that all of you are saying "Surely it would have been safer and simpler to have the blood sent from Chonburi and Matt kept in ICU at BHP with all the surgeons and doctors thoroughly acquainted with his case".

"Bloody" right :D , this hospital have to come up with something better :o:D

I feel sorry for tatoodude, as this will stay with him allways, he did everything right.

RIP to Matt, and my condolences to all his family. :D

Edited by larvidchr

Before I read BP’s statement, I was going to post a warning to the effect that BP are past masters at circumlocution and issuing statements that spread confusion and obfuscation amongst the unwary. After all, for them, there is a lot at stake.

However, it seems implausible that even BP would dare to state that they did in fact carry out some treatment on Matt, if that was not the case.

Only the people who accompanied Matt at the time, would be able to verify this one way or another, and I would be most interested in what they have to say.

Whatever the truth, it certainly doesn’t excuse them shunting Matt all the way to Chonburi for blood supplies. It really doesn’t sound right.

There's something not quite kosher here. :o

I too have insurance for myself, my wife and son with Bupa. I had a fight with BPH in December when they first more than doubled their rates without sending out notification to their current patients that live here in Pattaya. This hospital is ISO certifies and the company that has issued them the certificate is in Bangkok. I might suggest writing E mails to their certifying company and bring these issues to their attention as it could very well be a violation of their certification. In december the management of Bupa in Pattaya advised me that they still have a contract with BPH, but to the north both hospitals in Sriracha are under contract with direct pay. granted in an emergency that is too far to travel, but for your regular medical and dental needs 30 kilometers is not that far.

Barry

Thanks Barry I will certaily head for Siracha for any treatment or non urgent medical needs.