Cataract surgery

Wake Up

I live in Bangkok. I need cataract surgery. I have heard and been once to Rutnin Eye Hospital many years ago. 

Has anyone had a great experience with an eye surgeon in Bangkok and would recommend the doctor?

I need a doctor’s name that I can trust to do a great job. I am not worried about price or location in Bangkok. 

If you know a place I should avoid  please reply also. 

thank you 

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

https://www.rutnin.com/en/doctor/detail.36.1_roy_0_0.html#thumb

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Roy-Chumdermpadetsuk

Highly recommended

He is at both Rutnin and Bumrungrad. Rutnin will cost a good deal less but is less efficient in scheduling and non-physician staff speak little English.  No difference in quality if done by him at either place.

Thank you. I can speak enough Thai to get by and will make the appointment at Rutnin. ????

• 1 month later...

I recently had cataract surgery at Bumrungrad hospital, performed by Dr Prin. I did some research and was satisfied that he had the right qualifications. I wasn't disappointed, he did a great job and I would recommend him highly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Any idea of costs?

Depends on the hospital and also the type of lens implanted.

Government hospital and standard lens = about 20k per eye (inlcuding follow up visits)

Private hospital, standard lends: Anywhere from 50 to 100K per eye

Non-standard lenses add considerably to cost

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Sheryl said:

Depends on the hospital and also the type of lens implanted.

Government hospital and standard lens = about 20k per eye (inlcuding follow up visits)

Private hospital, standard lends: Anywhere from 50 to 100K per eye

Non-standard lenses add considerably to cost

Sheryl,

What about the skill of the surgeon at the government hospitals versus the private hospitals.  I know it is considered a relatively simple surgery but it is ones eyes. 

In terms of lenses I know that going from mono focal lenses is far cheaper than the bifocal or multi focal lenses.  Do you know if the hospitals offer lenses from different manufacturers that you can choose from?  Just like glasses all mono focal or multi focal lenses are not necessarily equal.