Guinness in or near Surin

chickenslegs

We (me, wife and daughter) live near Pattaya so, if I get a craving for a Guinness or two, there's a few places within easy reach.

For about 4 weeks now we've been staying on the family farm about 15km outside Surin, towards Prasat.

With schools still closed, and no urgency to get home, looks like we'll be here for another week or two and I have a hankering for the stout.

So, I'd like to find a place where I can get a Guinness with a nice meal (European and/or Thai food).  Wife and 9-year-old will be with me, so we won't be dining late.  Cost is not an issue - this will be a rare treat. Outdoor dining preferred.

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated, thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Although not for a few years I've stayed many times at Ryans's Resort on the outskirts of Prasat.  I can't say for sure if they will have Guinness as I don't drink it but you never know your luck.  In any event it would certainly be worth a trip to find out as they certainly meet all your other requirements and the owners are great people to meet.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a phone number for Ryan's and give it a call tomorrow.

"Ryan's" sounds Irish - promising.

41 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The nearest place to Prasat where you will find Guinness is in Korat.

Tried to find Korat on a map. Now I've learned it's also known as Nakhon Ratchasima.

Would be about 6 hours round trip, so a bit too far - but you could be right about it being the nearest place.

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

If you are that desperate, could you have some Bottles Kerry,d up to you from Patts?

Thanks. Not desperate - I just fancy a couple of pints for a change.

IMO bottled Guinness is not a pleasant drink, and never seen it on any of the websites. I would definitely order the Draught Guinness in cans, but haven't seen it in Thailand for many years.

Anyway, I thought online sale of alcohol was banned. If anyone knows where I can order online I'm interested.

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Not exactly the same, but I know a few places in Sisaket that sell Bellhaven Black. That's a nice drink IMO.

Had to Google  Sisaket and Belhaven Black beer.

Sounds like the sort of drink I would enjoy, but the 200km round trip is a bit much. Looks like I'll have to wait until I get back home.

Just as an aside - Yesterday I saw cans of Chang "Espresso" beer in Lotus, so I bought one to sample. If you like beer AND you like espresso this concoction should be avoided (IMO, of course).

• Haha 1

Just found this FB page. Said they have a stout there.

ชบาแก้ว จ.สุรินทร์, profile picture
ชบาแก้ว จ.สุรินทร์ อยู่บน Facebook เข้าสู่ระบบหรือสร้างบัญชีเพื่อเชื่อมต่อกับ ชบาแก้ว จ.สุรินทร์

Screenshot_2021-05-08-16-29-35-608_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Edited by Sametboy2019
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

ชบาแก้ว จ.สุรินทร์ อยู่บน Facebook เข้าสู่ระบบหรือสร้างบัญชีเพื่อเชื่อมต่อกับ ชบาแก้ว จ.สุรินทร์

I haven't a clue how to use facebook to get the location/details of that place - luckily my daughter is here to help.

Thanks Sametboy.

17 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Yesterday I left a message asking for location and phone number. No reply yet.

12 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Location and address with latitude and longitude highlighted in red:

image.png.3e24f6ec36b8b400715a10794e633e1f.png

Many thanks Ballpoint.

Turns out it's just a couple of streets away from the Thong Tarin hotel, where we have stayed many times.

Mrs C suggested we book a room there, so we can have a few drinks without having to be concerned about driving back to the farm.

I quite fancy sampling a few of those different craft beers as well as the stout.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, chickenslegs said:

Had to Google  Sisaket and Belhaven Black beer.

Sounds like the sort of drink I would enjoy, but the 200km round trip is a bit much. Looks like I'll have to wait until I get back home.

Nookies Delights delivers to Prasat/PK Chai. It might be worth looking at his webpage as he is stationed not too far away too.. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, ballpoint said:

Location and address with latitude and longitude highlighted in red:

image.png.3e24f6ec36b8b400715a10794e633e1f.png

Took a drive there at lunchtime. The place looks totally deserted and the name "Chabakaew" not seen. Searched the whole area and quizzed a few locals, but no joy. There are a few bar/restaurants along the adjacent soi but nothing of a Craft beer type - some look "mothballed". 

I suspect Covid has taken it's toll.

But thanks for trying.

6 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Nookies Delights delivers to Prasat/PK Chai. It might be worth looking at his webpage as he is stationed not too far away too.. 

Got a quick reply from Paul at Nookies ...

CURRENTLY IN STOCK
WEXFORD IRISH CREAM
OLD SPECKLED  HEN
ABBOTT
RUDDLES COUNTY
YOUNGS CHOC STOUT
BELHAVEN SCOTTISH STOUT
A FEW CANS HOBGOLIN RUBY AND GOLD
BOMBADIER, GREENE KING TO ORDER BY THE CASE(NOT STOCK ITEMS)
THATCHERS GOLD CIDER

I'm just waiting to hear about delivery and, hopefully, I will be sampling a few soon.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, chickenslegs said:

Took a drive there at lunchtime. The place looks totally deserted and the name "Chabakaew" not seen. Searched the whole area and quizzed a few locals, but no joy. There are a few bar/restaurants along the adjacent soi but nothing of a Craft beer type - some look "mothballed". 

I suspect Covid has taken it's toll.

But thanks for trying.

Got a quick reply from Paul at Nookies ...

CURRENTLY IN STOCK
WEXFORD IRISH CREAM
OLD SPECKLED  HEN
ABBOTT
RUDDLES COUNTY
YOUNGS CHOC STOUT
BELHAVEN SCOTTISH STOUT
A FEW CANS HOBGOLIN RUBY AND GOLD
BOMBADIER, GREENE KING TO ORDER BY THE CASE(NOT STOCK ITEMS)
THATCHERS GOLD CIDER

I'm just waiting to hear about delivery and, hopefully, I will be sampling a few soon.

I've tried quite a few and for me, its Wexford, Belhaven, Thatchers & Speckled Hen are a VERY welcome change to the usual boring, same as, Thai lager.

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

I've tried quite a few and for me, its Wexford, Belhaven, Thatchers & Speckled Hen are a VERY welcome change to the usual boring, same as, Thai lager.

Just got back from my 3-hour round trip with a mixed case of Wexford, Old Speckled Hen, Ruddles, Belhaven, and Youngs Chocolate Stout.

I've put an assortment in the fridge and will be tasting later. Will be a nice change from the usual lagers.

The Youngs Chocolate Stout Young has a widget - like the Draught Guinness cans - very promising.

Paul, at Nookies, has a good selection of British beers at 115 - 125 Baht, which is (IMO) good value. 

Thanks for your help.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Nookies Delights? I have been living in Prasat for the last 4 years and never heard of them. More info pls!

http://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/

It's about 88km from Prasat, heading west.

Best to send Paul an email if you want to order, as he's not there all the time.

I took a drive there to collect my beers, but he can send by Kerry delivery.

14 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Nookies Delights? I have been living in Prasat for the last 4 years and never heard of them. More info pls!

He's been around for about 20 years and always reasonable prices