Littering and attitudes to it

poohy

On 5/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, thasoss said:

leaving litter is a problem in most countries.Why do people do it?...my guess is laziness,a lack of respect for other people,selfishness and an "i don't care" attitude.

I see it all the time in the village and area I live in.Some houses I visit(relatives) the yard is littered with rubbish and they are ok living amongst trash...just laziness in most cases and very sad because it says a lot about these people.

Ive  always  been a very tidy  person, its  not easy ot be  tidy but  it  looks  so  much better, Wife drives me nuts with her untidiness, everything from icons  on her  laptop with a  full screen  of  folders all labelled "new folder" so she hasnt a  clue whats in them to half   drunk water  bottles  scattered  everywhere if  she didnt work so  hard at her job Id  give her a  right  ballcocking.

One of the first things that made an impression about Issan was the trash. Good folks who worked hard lived amongst the trash they created. Kids threw candy wrappers where they stood, went to a wedding at a poor fellas house, what hit me was the fact that not one thought was directed towards the trash littering the overgrown grass around the shack. Couldn't be bothered to spend any time cleaning up.

• Like 1

I do get angry on it sometimes when i am in Thailand . Thais really do not care at all , and it took me some time when staying in home to get people to throw things in the garbage bin , and even after it does take a near daily effort . I am talking about all ages , from very young to very old , no one cares at all about nature and rubbish . When i took my GF over to Belgium , she was so surprised how clean it was/is . Nobody dumping stuff everywhere on the ground ( while there still is , but extremely less then in Thailand ) . I feel , and that might just be that , is that they made it from stone age towards the modern plastic age in 1 second . They used to live with natural things , things which decompose fast , since high UV , ants , proper amount of moisture every y , so nothing lives long . if you explain they understand , but since many Thai people do not life on day to day basis , but rather second by second , they just forget . They do have a long way to go , but i do believe that they will get it 1 day . Western people did not change their behavior in 1 second also .

ps , i am not at all against plastic and chemicals , i am working in chemical industry . I am against all the Green idiots , since i never ever met or spoken to any of those smarter then the plastic bags on the floor . But we all know , we have to be responsible about our behavior and trash . I am not the a saint who does everything correct , but if everybody would be a littlebit more caring about the trash we leave behind , it would already would mean a really big thing.

A young local Thai man  informs us  the  provincial garbage collectors   like to contact the local villages & offer their garbage disposal service ( unknown to city hall) cheaper  than  they  can get it elsewhere, and business is doing quiet well......this is one of  the reasons they dont have the time, &  space in the truck to empty the public  waste bins, which is why we can see them constantly overflowing

On 5/12/2021 at 7:30 AM, thasoss said:

leaving litter is a problem in most countries.Why do people do it?...my guess is laziness,a lack of respect for other people,selfishness and an "i don't care" attitude.

I see it all the time in the village and area I live in.Some houses I visit(relatives) the yard is littered with rubbish and they are ok living amongst trash...just laziness in most cases and very sad because it says a lot about these people.

It is no longer a problem in many Western countries. For instance you can walk miles across country in Bavaria or Switzerland before you see as much as a cigarette bud. One year ago I (re)visited a beach near Lisbon (Estoril to be precise). Looking around I felt the beach had something surreal about it I couldn't define. You know what it was? It was abnormally clean. It had the unreal cleanliness of an artificial beach in a Disney theme park.

In most countries after you finish building or rebuilding a house you can't wait to get rid of the rubble. In Thailand people are happy to reside between piles of their own and the neighbours' rubble. I've seen Thai domestic tourists on some beaches proudly sitting in the midst of all kinds of unappetising pieces of garbage of all sizes and stages of decay. I was even disgusted to walk on those beaches where they seemed happy wallowing.