VAX rollout: Top Bangkok hospital says they will NOT supply Moderna vaccine

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Vibhavadi Hospital - a top private hospital in the northern part of Bangkok - has told its patrons that it will not be supplying the Moderna vaccine.

Daily News said in a report yesterday after the hospital issued a letter that this was dashing the hopes of the people. 

Onliners responded to the news with most claiming that the hospital had been forced into the decision by what many see as over regulation in procuring vaccine for the private sector. 

Vibhavadi did not say as much but said in all conscience they could not ask their patrons to wait and be delayed in acquiring a jab.

They believed it was in the best interest of their clients to be up front in saying that they could not announce a date for procurement of the vaccine so it was better to cancel altogether. 

They said they would keep people informed of what vaccines might be available there when more definite timeframes are known. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-07

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

what do you want the Thai government to do? wave a magic wand and create vaccines.  I  will tell you again exactly what moderna says; ORDERS ARE BACKLOGGED. Moderna is working through back orders. As soon as it satisfied current orders and the  orders signed a few months ago for next year, it will  be able to satisfy new orders.

When Moderna has product to ship to Thailand can you say whether the private hospitals will be able to import?  And if they can import will they be able to inject their customers? Hospital management that has been involved with planning for this could probably benefit from PTSD counseling after the last few weeks and especially days.  I could easily see administrators saying "Enough! We give up! We're out!!" 

If this is the case, Vibhavadi might not be the only one to have done a risk-benefit analysis.  I worry that other hospitals could be reflecting on the events from the last couple of weeks and days and reaching the same conclusion that Vibhavadi did.

• Like 1

i get it that availability of supply may be problematic— and sure, it’s fair to say “why didn’t they act sooner?”. but… that’s not going to change where we are today.. right now.

What Id like to see is a mass registration…. everyone who wants it.. don’t matter age, nationality, health issues etc — get everyone’s name on some kind of master list.

Then.. from there the government can subdivide that master list into sub groups based on their assigned medical need/eligibility etc… so at least there would be visibility into overall demand — and allow the government to decide groups and the number of jabs that would be required. 

.. and those on the list would be able to see where their assigned group falls in terms of eligibility etc 

once a group does become eligible, then they can go back to the registry same and now pick a date, time and place to receive it based on what hospitals/vaccine centers have supply etc.   and IF there is a fee to be paid (again, just a “what if..) payment can be made at the the time the booking is made or made prior to jab time by other e-payment means.

Edited by new2here
  • Like 1

importing vaccines outside of those produced in thailand for private hospital use will be

tied up in red tape until at least a month or two after the BS AZ vaccine is available to those hospitals

• Like 2

If I were in charge at one of the large vaccine companies I would tell the government that there are no negotiations, these are the terms and if you don't like them and pay up front then you will get no vaccine, ever.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Morty T said:

Try that again ? CP owns the Thai rights to Sinovac, CP no doubt had to pay big $$$ to get that inclusion from the Thai Government. Of course, Sinovac will be the only drug approved for use in the Kingdom. A lot of brown envelopes, made this one happen. All in all, when Thailand is paying 30% more for Sinovac vs Phizer, and the latter has a 95% effective rate compared to 50%. Simple Thai logic.

Well in Australia you don't have a choice,if you younger than 50 you get Pfizer if you over 50 you will get AZ there is no other one.

• Like 1

I will be surprised if any of these real vaccines actually are deployed here.

I guess people can try and wait, but if a person truly feels they need the vax. going back home in a few months may be the best option.  Just stay healthy and safe between now and then.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Onliners responded to the news with most claiming that the hospital had been forced into the decision by what many see as over regulation in procuring vaccine for the private sector. 

Pressured to only supply the sole-source, domestically manufactured vaccine perhaps considering we have been told before that we will not be allowed a choice?  Just thinking out loud.  I wonder how many other private hospitals will prostate themselves in front of the 'toe-line.'  
"Yo!  No choice for the commoners. Toe that line!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

what do you want the Thai government to do? wave a magic wand and create vaccines.  I  will tell you again exactly what moderna says; ORDERS ARE BACKLOGGED. Moderna is working through back orders. As soon as it satisfied current orders and the  orders signed a few months ago for next year, it will  be able to satisfy new orders.

You don't know that.  

The government should fast track this and let the private hospitals negotiate with vaccine makers.  The government is the obstacle.

4 hours ago, Morty T said:

Try that again ? CP owns the Thai rights to Sinovac, CP no doubt had to pay big $$$ to get that inclusion from the Thai Government. Of course, Sinovac will be the only drug approved for use in the Kingdom. A lot of brown envelopes, made this one happen. All in all, when Thailand is paying 30% more for Sinovac vs Phizer, and the latter has a 95% effective rate compared to 50%. Simple Thai logic.

95% against serious infection... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I will be surprised if any of these real vaccines actually are deployed here.

I guess people can try and wait, but if a person truly feels they need the vax. going back home in a few months may be the best option.  Just stay healthy and safe between now and then.

Moderna, Pfizer require special storage facility. Singapore built one at the airport from where ut gets distributed. What did  Thailand prepare?

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

If I were in charge at one of the large vaccine companies I would tell the government that there are no negotiations, these are the terms and if you don't like them and pay up front then you will get no vaccine, ever.

I've seen news blurbs about Pfizer "negotiating" with the governments of various countries.  It seemed more like dictating terms - no liability, indemnification with assets pledged to protect Pfizer, take it or leave it.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/pfizer-plays-hardball-in-covid19-vaccine-negotiations-in-latin-america/

https://insidesources.com/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-negotiations-in-latin-america-why-hardball/

• Like 2

In the U.S., as far as I know, the federal govt. buys all the vaccines.  Then they distribute them to states and private healthcare facilities, hospitals and pharmacies.  Feds pay for the vaccine.  They will pay for administering if you are poor, have no health insurance or whatnot.  Somehow the "shooters" get reimbursed.  We get it for "free".  (Until tax time. ????

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I've seen news blurbs about Pfizer "negotiating" with the governments of various countries.  It seemed more like dictating terms - no liability, indemnification with assets pledged to protect Pfizer, take it or leave it.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/pfizer-plays-hardball-in-covid19-vaccine-negotiations-in-latin-america/

https://insidesources.com/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-negotiations-in-latin-america-why-hardball/

Good

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

They are cautious and calculating.  I would also be if I was Pfizer. 

But in the end, there are very few deaths and long lasting consequences from these jabs.  Minuscule compared to the deaths from getting the virus, or the ones who have long term covid.

It's an emergency authorization.  Glad they took the chance.  I'm ready to roll up my sleeve for the better ones!!