Apple AirTag , Can it be synced with more than one devise ?

oldcarguy

interested in getting a couple Apple AirTags , 

but wondering if  they can be synced  to 2 devises like an iPad and an iPhone ?

right now all I have is a LTE iPad  , I would also like to link it  to my friends sons iPhone ( if its new enough )  

And do you think Apple will open it to android phones ?

Thanks for your advise ????

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

but wondering if  they can be synced  to 2 devises like an iPad and an iPhone ?

Air tags are not synced to other device as such. They are linked to an appleID, so if you have 17 iPhones and 10 iPads all with the same appleID they could all be used to locate 1 airtag. But of course the iPad doesn’t have a U1 chip so it won’t locate as well as the iPhones that do. 

And do you think Apple will open it to android phones ?

They do sort of work with android now but I doubt they will ever have full functionality as they can’t be locked down in the same way and I doubt that apple will open the “find my” network and that’s what makes them so powerful.

Apple devices add to each other so an iPad and iPhone are more than just a phone and tablet. Each device while good individually is better with others so allowing other makers hardware in to the system is pointless for apple. Apple is unique and has no need or benefit  to  allow android in unless android devices pay to be on the Find My network and I can’t see anyone paying enough for Apple to accept them in. 

it is possible that apple may allow other locations tag devices in but maybe not. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Confused 1

You will just add them to your account, then they will be emitting a signal. 

As long as your iPad is connected to the web and can run the “find me” app you should see your airtag. 

You could give your sons friend permission to your tag, just like my wife can find her iPad “find my” from her phone and I can also see my wife’s phone and iPad on my “find my” app. 

The tags won’t have to be directly contactable to your device, they will jump to the nearest Apple device and then onto the find my network, as I understand it. 

I want to get a few as soon as they are released.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

The tags won’t have to be directly contactable to your device, they will jump to the nearest Apple device and then onto the find my network, as I understand it. 

That’s correct but they are not in constant contact they try about 4 times per hour for remote contact 

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That’s correct but they are not in constant contact they try about 4 times per hour for remote contact 

Did you hear about the range to your device? We were discussing in a. Homebridge group how the they may be implemented in homekit.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Did you hear about the range to your device? We were discussing in a. Homebridge group how the they may be implemented in homekit.

Anything between 20~40 metres and 1 depending on what is between you and the tracking device 

Hi ,  thanks for the info ,

the only Apple devises in my "crowd" are my iPad and my friends sons iPhone , 

and  I do not take my iPad with me all the time !

We would like to use them as cheap trackers for our cars and a motorbike ,  and if we needed a location the son can be called and he could check.

I had the Samsung tracker that was on LTE and it never did work right ,  

Hope these work better !

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The thing that’s different with the airtags is that they communicate with all iPhones when they are out of range of your own items so you should be able to find them more easily. 

is it "All iPhones"  even the older ones like iPhone 7 etc ?

Do  all iPhones have it in the new software ?

Thats the reason  this will work so much better than the Tile trackers

GPS would probably be better but you need cell  service and the battery needs to be recharged often on the GPS trackers, .

I think I will order one  soon....

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

Thats the reason  this will work so much better than the Tile trackers

GPS would probably be better but you need cell  service and the battery needs to be recharged often on the GPS trackers, .

I think I will order one  soon.... OK , just  ordered one for  Bestbuy , 32 US$ delivered  in the 

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

It is any apple device that uses or can use the FindMy network. 
However the exact, direction and distance, tracking when you get close only functions with a U1 chip so that’s only the iPhone 11 and 12 

• iPhone 11.
  • iPhone 11 Pro.
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max.
  • iPhone 12.
  • iPhone 12 Mini.
  • iPhone 12 Pro.
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max.

The Apple Watch Series 6 and HomePod mini also have the U1 you can’t use the HomePod to track, & AFIK at the moment you can’t use the Apple Watch either. 

but less exact tracking and getting the airtag to beep, putting them into lost mode and other functions works with most if not all devices that are on the FindMy network, they wouldn’t be so useful if you had to have an iPhone 11 or 12 

Here is a good guide

I am in the USA  right now.....

Well I got my Airtag , but have not been able to get it to sync yet , 

I think the battery is very low  as the you can hardy hear the Beep !

There was a report that these were designed in 2019  but not put  out to the public ,  so maybe the battery drained ?????

and it wants 2 factor , which i think I have set-up right  but not sure , 

I will report once I get it going.....

and it wants 2 factor , which i think I have set-up right  but not sure , 

It’s quite easy to check if 2F is set up correctly. 
go to https://appleid.apple.com/signin

you should get 3 things to enter

username:

password:

two factor:

if you get that it’s setup OK

Finally got around to setting it up......

at first it would not connect.......it may have been the 2 factor and that I did not have a password on my iPad , 

but it did not tell me that....

Anyway I changed the battery  and then it seemed to connect , ????

First thing , its small, about an inch across (25mm) but thick enough that you would not want to sit on it in your wallet all day long , 

the "alarm sound"  is not that loud ,  maybe thats because its in my hand , but it would be very hard to find your lost item outside if this is as loud as it  gets  ,  I plan on putting it in my car   so we will see how many iPhone users are around the area.

Overall if it works as it should I will be real happy ,  it can track my car , if I am shipping a pallet I can put it inside with a return envelope  and if I had a dog I could track it ????

More info after I play  with it.....

16 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

the "alarm sound"  is not that loud ,  maybe thats because its in my hand , but it would be very hard to find your lost item outside if this is as loud as it  gets 

If you watch the reviews you will find that the absolute volume doesn’t give a good guide to how easy, or difficult, a tracker is to locate, the pitch variations and frequency are a significant factor. 

I  have it in my car that is parked up the street and out of range from my ipad , 

just wondering if someone driving down that street  will Identify it  ,  and if I need to think how to mount it to have a better chance of an iphone user  "pinging" the airtag , 

But so far I like it ????

8 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I  have it in my car that is parked up the street and out of range from my ipad , 

just wondering if someone driving down that street  will Identify it  ,  and if I need to think how to mount it to have a better chance of an iphone user  "pinging" the airtag , 

But so far I like it ????

It shouldn’t need to be placed anywhere special. Unless you want to pick it up with your device, in which case walls and trees will obstruct the signal.

If you know anyone with a 3D printer, check thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Airtag&type=things&sort=relevant

there are plenty of different holders being uploaded everyday. 

8 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Someone driving is unlikely to be within contact range when the airtag pings.

& FWIW the airtag is the one that pings about 4 times an hour, other apple products can receive that and pass it into the FindMy network where it is passed on to you. 

I took my AirTag for a ride on sunday  , I was impressed  how good it tracked , down to which parking space my  car was parked , 

If  go to my apple ID account on an iMac ,  will i be able to also track the AirTags that are on my account ?

I do not have an Apple computer but I would be good to know if I left my iPad at home  I could use a friends to get into  my Apple ID account , 

I bought another  AirTag , activated it on my account and gave it to my friend to test ,  his kids have iPhones so it tracks to his house , now we will see what alarms ring and how long that takes ,  the final plan is to hide it in his classic car .

Whenever I get back to BKK  I will bring put them on my suitcases  and day pack.

Anyone else have one yet ?

cheers

On 6/3/2021 at 3:41 AM, oldcarguy said:

I took my AirTag for a ride on sunday  , I was impressed  how good it tracked , down to which parking space my  car was parked , 

If  go to my apple ID account on an iMac ,  will i be able to also track the AirTags that are on my account ?

I do not have an Apple computer but I would be good to know if I left my iPad at home  I could use a friends to get into  my Apple ID account , 

I bought another  AirTag , activated it on my account and gave it to my friend to test ,  his kids have iPhones so it tracks to his house , now we will see what alarms ring and how long that takes ,  the final plan is to hide it in his classic car .

Whenever I get back to BKK  I will bring put them on my suitcases  and day pack.

Anyone else have one yet ?

cheers

Yup, I ordered one for the wife to test.

I don’t need a 4 pack, and to save a hundred baht it was t worth it. I thought I would buy one-by-one when needed.

She didn’t understand at first until I played a Thai video and got her a leather key fob to match her fake Gucci handbag, and she decided she wanted another for her bike key.

There is now, nigh on a month wait on delivery although I guess I could chance getting one from ilounge or maybe Lazada. So looks like they are flying off the shelves.

Edited by recom273

I have one we put in my friends classic car and one I put in my car , 

he is going to do the same and put one in his and the extra for mine ,

then we can have 2 shots of getting a location  , and if they find one they will probably not look for another one , 

it works pretty good , it not real time and  but it has worked good so far , 

But we are tracking something big , no idea if you can find a lost purse if it ends up on the 3rd floor walk up in a dodgy part of town .

So far I am very happy for $29US

• Confused 1