Visa renewal procedure after obtaining a New Passport.

I will have to go to my embassy within this month to apply for a new passport.

Reading the comments in this forum I know that the embassy will issue me with an official document which I will have to present to the IO to transfer the visa to the new passport.

But, my one year Non-O visa based on marriage will expire right at the end of my old passport in July.
So, should I transfer the visa (which will only last me a month), or apply for a new Non-O visa based on marriage (which after 3 months, I will then turn into a marriage visa)?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Edited by zhounan

You need to do the stamp transfer before applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa).

Immigration does not transfer visas. They only transfer the stamps that are related to your current permit to stay in the country and do a annotation on a stamp with info about your visa and old passport on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to do the stamp transfer before applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa).

Immigration does not transfer visas. They only transfer the stamps that are related to your current permit to stay in the country and do a annotation on a stamp with info about your visa and old passport on it.

After last year's procedure: New NON-O Visa in Laos, extension after three months and one-year extension for "Thai Wife", they don't have to issue me a new visa, but a new extension?

Is it possible to do the stamp transfer on the same day I apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage?

Thank you Joe in advance for any advice

21 minutes ago, zhounan said:

After last year's procedure: New NON-O Visa in Laos, extension after three months and one-year extension for "Thai Wife", they don't have to issue me a new visa, but a new extension?

No need for a new visa. All you need to do is apply for new one year extension of stay.

22 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Is it possible to do the stamp transfer on the same day I apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage?

Yes you can.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zhounan said:

In case I don't have a fixed deposit of 400,000 baht in the last two months?

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife if you have not applied for one since your last entry to the country to get more time to have it in the bank for 2 months.

Or you could apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension.

You could then apply for the one year extension near the end of either of the above extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, zhounan said:

Thank you Joe in advance for any advice

The expiry date of your passport determines all visa/extensions in that passport. If it is an extension of stay in Thailand it will have an expiry date the same as your passport expiry date so if you do not get all the transfers made from the old to new passport before the expiry date you are in over stay. Read the stamp in the passport "offenders will be prosecuted" .