Black 'sleep' screen on new apple M1 laptop. Help

charliechoc

I wish I had not purchased this lemon of a laptop. 

Latest issue is the screen going int sleep mode- black screen. I can see the laptop is on in the background but its all black. 

I googled it and someone says its to do with a usb bug. But unsure of the fix. 

Can any tech guys help me.....

thanks

18 minutes ago, charliechoc said:

Can any tech guys help me.....

thanks

Best is a free call to 001 800 656957 

you will get support Probably in whatever language you need, certainly in English. 
if you have another apple device you can schedule apple to call you via the Apple store app. If you don’t have that you can schedule apple to call you from https://support.apple.com/

Apple phone support is superb and they will work with you until your problems are fixed or if needed arrange for service possibly even exchange if it’s clear it’s a hardware issue. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

This is how I instantly got rid off this problem. I've turned off all the screensaver and powersaving options:
1.) SystemPreferences > Desktop&Screensaver > ScreenSaver > Start after: NEVER
2.) SystemPreferences > Battery > Battery > Turn display off after: NEVER
3.) SystemPreferences > Battery > PowerAdapter > Turn display off after: NEVER

As it turned out, these functions hardly saved energy, but created all kinds of problems.

If you really want to save battery life, these are the two most effective measures:
a) Close all browser windows that contain animated objects. Websites with animated ads, for example, are massive energy guzzlers even in background mode.
b) Watch videos in full-screen mode only. Otherwise the WindowServer process frequently hits the 50% CPU load mark for a sustained period of time (depending on video resolution and some other factors).