Monk For A Month

Steve Ireland

Hi All,

Here's a strange one I need some help and advice on please.

my Thai boyfriend of almost a year wants to go "To Temple" for 2-4 weeks, shaved head and all. He says its commonplace in Thai culture to do so in late teens or early twenties. He is 27. He says he could not go when he was younger because he had to work for his family and insists that his "time" in temple will bring "goodness" and "luck" to us.

Is this common? Is it a sign that he wants to become a monk? Is it BS? Is there a cost associated?

Any help appreciated. I don't assume to understand Buddhism but I have found some aspects of it to be fulfilling.

Thanks

Steve

It is 100% normal.

Why are you so cynical about it?

Is it BS? Is there a cost associated?

There should be some SMALL costs associated ... in the 100's not 1000's of baht :o

There is often a party to celebrate the becoming of a monk (even for short timers) and it can be a simple affair or it can be a gigantic and extremely costly affair. My wife's good friend had a brother who became a monk for only one week and the party is estimated to have cost 100,000 baht. They consumed two full grown cows and one full grown pig....that alone is about 25,000 baht of more....they had 9 monks come to the party and they cost 1,000 baht each...etc....etc....etc....

But this example is a bit extreme but it just goes to show you that the expense could be large....or as indicated before it could be small.

:o Oh dear...is the relationship having some problems that you drove the poor guy to monkhood? lol! Just kidding.

Yeap its normal and in fact a must that every Thai guy must go thru monkhood once in his life especially when they are between 18 to 24 or even anytime. Usually they do so during the period known as Khao Phansa which is the buddhist lent during the rainy season. There is small costs involved such as the initial day, when his family etc should all be there, a small meal is usually served at the temple to all that have come to witness the ceremony. Then also a small contribution to the temple or abbot would be helpful so that he is treated ok there. It will be good if you and also his family can give him moral support by arranging for his daily meals each morning when he goes on his alms collection routine.

Yes, thais believe that doing so also brings merits to them and to all those that they love plus its a good tests on your relationship and both of you abstaining or being celibate for a month can be beneficial as well (on the health side I mean.)

The only experience I have of this was my cheatin ex about 5-years ago claimed she was going to become a nun as she had an old flame coming back into town. She, in turn got the idea off her friend, who was seeing my mate. She shacked up with a customer in Seoul, whilst telling my mate she was in the temple (and therefore uncontactable) for 2-weeks... :o

The only experience I have of this was my cheatin ex about 5-years ago claimed she was going to become a nun as she had an old flame coming back into town. She, in turn got the idea off her friend, who was seeing my mate. She shacked up with a customer in Seoul, whilst telling my mate she was in the temple (and therefore uncontactable) for 2-weeks... :o

a result of too much "Private Eye" magazine

a result of too much "Private Eye" magazine

But my mate has never read it - how do you account for that? :D