Rejen Minoxidil 5%

JackGats

Any idea about this product? It is is 50% cheaper than the one I have been buying in Thailand (Nuhair). Price is not my main issue, NUHAIR has given me bad scalp itching, probably because of the propylene glycol. From the feel and smell Rejen doesn't seem to contain propylene glycol but there's no listing of ingredients in English so I can't tell which solvent if any it contains. My fear is that is might even be a dud and not contain any minoxidil.

Best topical minoxidil is the foam but it's not available in Thailand and bringing a stash on the plane is definitely prohibited.

Rejen.jpeg

The only problem with minoxidil is that its results take a long time coming.

My wife is currently using Reten 2% prescribed by the doctor for a small patch of alopecia . A lot cheaper than anything on Lazada at 120 baht for 15ml.

Too early to tell if its working.

She has stopped calling me baldy though. Interesting side effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reten Five, 30 ml, is available at P-S15 pharmacy in Bangkok for 150 baht - I've checked probably 10-20 pharmacies as I've been on my way within Bangkok. It comes in a pump applicator but can be poured into your spray bottle without difficulty. I don't know the non-active-ingredients though/most of the label is in Thai, sorry.

22 hours ago, Denim said:

A lot cheaper than anything on Lazada at 120 baht for 15ml.

1. When I searched Lazada just now for Minoxidil I didn't come up with any results?
  2. I would think the risk of buying any kind of medicine online from Lazada, even if only 1 in 10 or who knows, are still too high to be worth it?
Edited by landosmiles

23 hours ago, landosmiles said:

Reten Five, 30 ml, is available at P-S15 pharmacy in Bangkok for 150 baht - I've checked probably 10-20 pharmacies as I've been on my way within Bangkok. It comes in a pump applicator but can be poured into your spray bottle without difficulty. I don't know the non-active-ingredients though/most of the label is in Thai, sorry.

1. When I searched Lazada just now for Minoxidil I didn't come up with any results?
  2. I would think the risk of buying any kind of medicine online from Lazada, even if only 1 in 10 or who knows, are still too high to be worth it?

Found this page on Lazada but nothing cheap :

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.300bT86gT86gAJ&q=minoxidil 5&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--8048042748087988670__abId--222635__pvid--c2037ef2-5740-443d-b69e-9b86efb31ba8__matchType--1__srcQuery--minoxidill 5__spellQuery--minoxidil 5&from=suggest_normal&sugg=minoxidil 5_0_1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Interesting. It appears that searching for "minoxidil" returns zero results, but adding " 5" to the search then returns 35 results. Perhaps Lazada is blocking searches for 'minoxidil' as it's required to be sold in a pharmacy in Thailand, but not blocking searches that contain an otherwise-blocked term plus more?

The cheapest Lazada option seems to be a good price, although not as cheap as the pharmacy I mentioned in my earlier comment. Interestingly, the cheapest Lazada option appears to have originally been purchased in the US, but the Lazada seller is now selling it from TH. And they seem to have sold a lot - more than 100 reviews, and I guess that wouldn't even count all of the sales that did not leave a review.

Although I'm still rather hesitant about buying most any medication (or liquid) from a non-reputable online business in Asia, as it seems it would be too (relatively) easy to water down a product, etc.? And if a seller was already willing to flout the law to sell a pharmacy-only product online, flouting another law would just be one step more.

I don't know what your experience with Minoxidil is.  It is my understanding that Minoxidil has been only mildly effective in hair regrowth.  Most report that hair either does not regenerate or that it comes back only with very faint fuzz like hair.  Now, they do say that Minoxidil is pretty effective in stopping further hair loss. 

If you want to stop hair loss and are male, the drug Proscar ( finasteride ) has been found to be very effective.  The primary use of the drug is to treat BPH  - enlarged prostate glans.  It decreases the testosterone which causes the enlarged prostate.  Testosterone is also the reason why men lose hair.  That is the good news.  The bad news is that some men report lack of libido with lower testosterone levels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I don't know what your experience with Minoxidil is.  It is my understanding that Minoxidil has been only mildly effective in hair regrowth.  Most report that hair either does not regenerate or that it comes back only with very faint fuzz like hair.  Now, they do say that Minoxidil is pretty effective in stopping further hair loss. 

If you want to stop hair loss and are male, the drug Proscar ( finasteride ) has been found to be very effective.  The primary use of the drug is to treat BPH  - enlarged prostate glans.  It decreases the testosterone which causes the enlarged prostate.  Testosterone is also the reason why men lose hair.  That is the good news.  The bad news is that some men report lack of libido with lower testosterone levels. 

From one of the top Google results for Minoxidil - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6691938/

"Minoxidil is a common medication prescribed for treating hair loss-related problems. It provides remarkable benefits to patients with hair disorders. To date, the FDA has approved minoxidil only for AGA. However, minoxidil is used off-label for treating several hair disorders as well as increasing body hair growth. Although topical minoxidil is considered an effective and safe treatment option for various hair disorders, additional evidence-based data are needed for some applications."

I believe finasteride is often prescribed in combination with minoxidil. I'd recommend anyone talk to their doctor, at least for finasteride, before starting, including because minoxidil is available on Walmart store shelves, etc. but finasteride is not. Also for finasteride, Wikipedia lists a couple of sources for "In some men, sexual dysfunction may persist after stopping" finasteride.

Finasteride is a castration drug. From what I have read in forums all who took Finasteride experienced sex-drive problems. Horrible.

Anyway this thread is not about whether Minoxidil works (it does to an extent) but whether a particular product is not a fake.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Where to find this list, please?

MIMS

www.mims.com

Have to register and it is limited to health professionals

Many pharmacies have a hard copy of the book, it comes out annually

On 5/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, JackGats said:

Any idea about this product? It is is 50% cheaper than the one I have been buying in Thailand (Nuhair). Price is not my main issue, NUHAIR has given me bad scalp itching, probably because of the propylene glycol. From the feel and smell Rejen doesn't seem to contain propylene glycol but there's no listing of ingredients in English so I can't tell which solvent if any it contains. My fear is that is might even be a dud and not contain any minoxidil.

Best topical minoxidil is the foam but it's not available in Thailand and bringing a stash on the plane is definitely prohibited.

Rejen.jpeg

Wonder how long one of these lasts?