UK text messages

salavan

As the chap above said  I got a 3 network  from UK and worked well  I did have a Plusnet one that would not work in Thailand .. so that messed me up ... but the problem you may have is can you log in ? If can probably change number to New SIM...but seem to want to send to the old one first as making changes...you must have had the old one.....

• Like 1

My US banks often require me to receive a One Time Password (OTP) code via SMS to complete transactions. This was such a problem for me that I purchased a phone number from Skype. With that US phone number, I am able to receive SMS as if it were a mobile phone, and the messages show up in Skype. Super convenient. I think I pay $16 for 3 months for the phone number, so about $5.33 USD per month.

• Like 1

I have giffgaff and asda mobile although just transferred my number as asda are moving networks and getting a new sim is a pain, so giffgaff is the way to go, need to send a text or call every 6 months max

Edited by scubascuba3

Also have Giffgaff, very easy to set up and use. As stated a 6 monthly text is all that is needed to keep your balance and number alive.

You can request a SIM card online and it will arrive in a couple of days ( U.K. only I assume but can get a relative to post on ).

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

GiffGaff will post you a SIM anywhere in the world.

14 days to arrive in Thailand.

Last time I came back from the U.K., Oct 2019, I must have lost my sim when changing back to Thai sim ( at airport or on the plane ) only realised when attempting to send a text 6 months later.

Luckily I had a couple of spare sims from years before and managed to transfer my number to a new sim .

Very good service Giffgaff, very flexible.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, doctormann said:

I had a similar requirement and ended up getting a UK SIM from GiffGaff.  Free and, if you keep a small balance on it, it does not expire.  Works for me.  Ideally you need a phone that will take two SIMS.

https://www.giffgaff.com/how much does it cost to activate your sim

On 5/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, doctormann said:

I put 10 GBP on mine - and most of it is still there.

I've just looked at the giffgaff website and it appears to be a recurring monthly charge, not just a pay as you go type plan.

Sorry, that's wrong. I've just found where they "hide" the PAYG option!

(underline is supposed to be strike-through)

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, bojo said:

My UK bank, Santander allows me to have a Thai number that they can send any OTP's to. Unfortunately, not every bank allows this though.............

My two UK banks allow this, but my Thai 'phone service provider (DTAC) doesn't allow me to receive them!

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

My two UK banks allow this, but my Thai 'phone service provider (DTAC) doesn't allow me to receive them!

.That's interesting...........I have just set this up with Santander and am yet to receive any OTP's......... Now, you got me wondering........ When I last had texts send over end 2019, I put my UK sim (Vodafone) into the phone whilst in Thai and made a bank transaction and the OTP's came through OK.....................................Good info BTW.........Thanks.................

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've just looked at the giffgaff website and it appears to be a recurring monthly charge, not just a pay as you go type plan.

It isn't.  They encourage you to have a recurring "goodybag" every month but you don't have to, in fact it's of no use in Thailand.  Just top up the account once with £10 and you'll be fine for a long time, send a text every 6 months to keep it active.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It isn't.  They encourage you to have a recurring "goodybag" every month but you don't have to, in fact it's of no use in Thailand.  Just top up the account once with £10 and you'll be fine for a long time, send a text every 6 months to keep it active.

They even send you an email reminder to make a phone call or send an SMS every six months.

11 minutes ago, bojo said:

.That's interesting...........I have just set this up with Santander and am yet to receive any OTP's......... Now, you got me wondering........ When I last had texts send over end 2019, I put my UK sim (Vodafone) into the phone whilst in Thai and made a bank transaction and the OTP's came through OK.....................................Good info BTW.........Thanks.................

If you still have the UK SIM then that's probably the best way for you to continue.

It's why I'm looking at this thread for a UK SIM to change my number to with the banks.

You should have given your UK Bank a Telephone Number for contact ( or possibly 2 numbers )

The numbers should be +66(0)#########

DO NOT enter the Zero just +66#########

I had the same issue and once the Zero was removed from the telephone numbers have not had an issue.

Bank sends text asking for OTP and I just enter it and key it back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bojo said:

My UK bank, Santander allows me to have a Thai number that they can send any OTP's to. Unfortunately, not every bank allows this though.............

Helpful for them if one day they decide to close the accounts of all those living abroad 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you still have the UK SIM then that's probably the best way for you to continue.

It's why I'm looking at this thread for a UK SIM to change my number to with the banks.

Only thing with that tho is I'm pretty sure Vodafone told me that if you don't use the number for more than 3 months, I think it was that, the number's suspended, I have a monthly account, not pat as you go. I intend to be in Thai for far longer than 3 months as well...................