Is it worth a visit?

Jajazazajaja

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I was there a few months ago.  A ghost town for sure.  Doubt bars are open yet.  Making it even worse than when I was there.  For me, it was just depressing.  Same with the other tourist hot spots.  Ghost towns.

Sounds wonderful!!

I lived in Cha'am many years ago when there weren't many farang and no traffic jams... And the ones that were depressed had good reason, their dark Surin wives, half their age, well, did something to get them depressed.. they earned their depression... 

I loved to ride my motorcyyy lsowly down the beach road at 10 pm and the streets vacant, but for a cool breeze... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Sounds wonderful!!

I lived in Cha'am many years ago when there weren't many farang and no traffic jams... And the ones that were depressed had good reason, their dark Surin wives, half their age, well, did something to get them depressed.. they earned their depression... 

I loved to ride my motorcyyy lsowly down the beach road at 10 pm and the streets vacant, but for a cool breeze... 

Agreed!  I like it way more than before.  Too busy, especially weekends.  One reason I quit going. 

IMHO, it's nice for about a week, then gets depressing seeing all the shops, bars, restaurants and hotels closed.  Chairs upside down, tape across the openings, etc.  We spent a few months visiting Samui, Phuket and Hua Hin.  Depressing after a bit.  And sometimes, not easy to find food!  Chewang beach was a problem for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  I like it way more than before.  Too busy, especially weekends.  One reason I quit going. 

IMHO, it's nice for about a week, then gets depressing seeing all the shops, bars, restaurants and hotels closed.  Chairs upside down, tape across the openings, etc.  We spent a few months visiting Samui, Phuket and Hua Hin.  Depressing after a bit.  And sometimes, not easy to find food!  Chewang beach was a problem for us.

my problem is that i remember all these places from many years ago... I was in Phuket in early 80s... 1974 Pattaya was a dirt road w/a few bungalows on each side... nothing to do for sure... i took the family to Cha,am about 8 years ago and it took us an hour to get from the main road down to the beach because of the traffic... late 90s there were probably only about 20 farang living there... is Pim Paradise still at the north end of the beach, she had a bar on the corner and a few bungalows for rent?? I assume she is long gone??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

my problem is that i remember all these places from many years ago... I was in Phuket in early 80s... 1974 Pattaya was a dirt road w/a few bungalows on each side... nothing to do for sure... i took the family to Cha,am about 8 years ago and it took us an hour to get from the main road down to the beach because of the traffic... late 90s there were probably only about 20 farang living there... is Pim Paradise still at the north end of the beach, she had a bar on the corner and a few bungalows for rent?? I assume she is long gone??

I would have loved to be in Pattaya back then.  Now, it's not such a nice place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I would have loved to be in Pattaya back then.  Now, it's not such a nice place.

Even Bkk had a small town feel to it... there were canals down the middle of Sathorn Tai etc... I was a backpacker on a RTW journey. And the farang were friendly as there weren't many to be found.. if you passed a farang in the street, you stopped and chatted, where to eat etc... and the farang were mostly travellers who were curious and exploring different cultures. Now it seems as it is often a refuge for financial expats and whatever Pattaya is... though there was always a wild aspect here.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwbrown said:

I'm here in Hua Hin.  Beaches are open, restaurants that are still in business are open for sit-down until 9pm, massage shops open, Market Village and BluPort shopping malls open, but bars and gyms closed.  

As others have said it's a ghost town.  If you like walking on the beach and can entertain yourself it would be just OK right now.

actually doesn’t sound too bad, might give it a try next week

cheers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

Right now is a perfect time to visit Hua Hin if you want to walk around the old town and soak in the atmosphere. Perhaps visit a myriad of deserted beaches. There are some gorgeous and typically over crowded temples which right now are much more enjoyable. Rent a bicycle or scooter, and get off the beaten track. Since dining in may not be an option, find a quiet place to enjoy some of the amazing food Hua Hin has to offer.

Much of Thailand is hurting right now. Instead of looking for places that can give us what we are used to, why not enjoy a quieter side to the country whilst it lasts, and help the many business which are struggling to survive. ????

This!

7 hours ago, mwbrown said:

I'm here in Hua Hin.  Beaches are open, restaurants that are still in business are open for sit-down until 9pm, massage shops open, Market Village and BluPort shopping malls open, but bars and gyms closed.  

As others have said it's a ghost town.  If you like walking on the beach and can entertain yourself it would be just OK right now.

Sounds absolutely great!  Less crowds of people so should be nice.  

• Like 1