Private Tutor required.

Soon the school is about to throw another 250,000 baht invoice our way, but my 6 years old daughter is really not getting anything out of the current online learn.

I have been thinking about hiring a teacher and have 4-6 hours daily structured schooling at home. 

How much is a reasonable compensation weekly or monthly for a reasonable qualified primary school teacher?

Obviously I can't provide work permit, pension, etc. It will be cash payment for as long as required. 

How to find such a teacher? Are there any teachers forum out there where such a job offer can be posted?

Not illegal as long as the teacher has a work permit already. Tax etc is another issue but easily worked out. 

In Phuket there are teaching agencies or you could just reach out to a facebook group for international teachers?

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not illegal as long as the teacher has a work permit already. Tax etc is another issue but easily worked out. 

In Phuket there are teaching agencies or you could just reach out to a facebook group for international teachers?

If a teacher has a work permit then he or she is working and wouldn't have time. When a teacher leaves a school their work permit is instantly void.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

If a teacher has a work permit then he or she is working and wouldn't have time. When a teacher leaves a school their work permit is instantly void.

Not true, there are plenty of teaching agencies that you can hire a teacher for home schooling and its also possible for teachers to be self employed with own company and work permit. Its big business now and I know a few that are doing it here in Phuket

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Town said:

I have to point out what you are asking is illegal.

Valid point, but a young energetic teacher could perfectly legal teach my daughter, from 2 to 5 pm, when they are done with their regular work. 

Our current Zoom sessions end at noon, so a lot of teacher might be free in the afternoon. 

Saturday, Sunday and holidays will also work.

Troll post removed.

The OP is seeking a private Tutor, it is not his responsibility to meet the legal requirements for working in Thailand, that is the responsibility of theTutor, who is the one working.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I am not very good with Facebook, but thanks for the recommendation. 

Is the below the correct groups?

Screenshot_20210523-185836_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

I'd have your daughter try Cambly Kids. (https://www.cambly.com/kids)

It's a great tutoring platform, well structured with plenty of lessons to follow, or simply for having causal chats with tutors to practice and build confidence speaking. The tutors for kids have verified credentials. Plans are around $150-200 a month, for 3-5 days a week.

I'm not selling myself however, I teach on the adult portion of the site. But I've taught on it awhile and have really been enjoying it. It works for me as the start of my school year keeps getting pushed back due to Covid.

There's a lot of us foreign teachers in Thailand in this boat right now. We're seen as quite capable, and are glad to be in demand.

47 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'd have your daughter try Cambly Kids. (https://www.cambly.com/kids)

It's a great tutoring platform, well structured with plenty of lessons to follow, or simply for having causal chats with tutors to practice and build confidence speaking. The tutors for kids have verified credentials. Plans are around $150-200 a month, for 3-5 days a week.

I'm not selling myself however, I teach on the adult portion of the site. But I've taught on it awhile and have really been enjoying it. It works for me as the start of my school year keeps getting pushed back due to Covid.

There's a lot of us foreign teachers in Thailand in this boat right now. We're seen as quite capable, and are glad to be in demand.

Thanks for your comment,  but the whole idea is to get away from online learning. 

It simply don't give sufficient value for a 6 years old.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Khan academy for kids. Free and excellent.

There's a bunch of online learning sources with great content depending on age. Amazing stuff.

I'd never take an agency teacher. I don't think agency teachers know anything about anything and they're probably missing a degree. Really good teachers don't have time for privates.

You definitely need someone who clearly understands the subject/s but also has a vision for educating your daughter and not just toss her worksheets and do a bit of chitchat.

I'd at least wait until vaccines more prevalent before bringing stranger into your home.

Edited by kynikoi

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Khan academy for kids. Free and excellent.

There's a bunch of online learning sources with great content depending on age. Amazing stuff.

I'd never take an agency teacher. I don't think agency teachers know anything about anything and they're probably missing a degree. Really good teachers don't have time for privates.

You definitely need someone who clearly understands the subject/s but also has a vision for educating your daughter and not just toss her worksheets and do a bit of chitchat.

I'd at least wait until vaccines more prevalent before bringing stranger into your home.

It is a bit of a catch 22. My 6 years old get virtual nothing out of online learning and a good teacher might be between jobs due to Covid and would be happy to tutor for 30k a month.  

Once schools are open, we don't need it anymore and like you said, good teachers will be busy with a real job.

Back to the original question,  where to find such a teacher?

Can I make a job posting on ajan.com?

47 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It is a bit of a catch 22. My 6 years old get virtual nothing out of online learning and a good teacher might be between jobs due to Covid and would be happy to tutor for 30k a month.  

Once schools are open, we don't need it anymore and like you said, good teachers will be busy with a real job.

Back to the original question,  where to find such a teacher?

Can I make a job posting on ajan.com?

Six is young. I would agree s/he won't get much out of it.

Online learning in Thailand is a disaster. There's lots of blame to go around. Teachers, administration, technology and platforms and the fact that most of these lessons are a one-off. It's difficult to spend 15 hours on a lesson plan you know it's going to go in the bin after a few classes.

School has started for all but international schools just an fyi.

You could put an ad on Ajarn I think you'll be overwhelmed with chancers. Also remember that the schools have hired all of the best teachers so if you get a teacher that isn't employed you very well might be getting a less than spectacular teacher.

Another thing that I would look for is an early years teacher I think this is critical.

As a parent you should also have a clear idea of what the student should be learning and be able to detail that to the teacher and set some goals. I think a discussion like this already will lose most efl teachers in the weeds. Hopefully the idea ventures beyond simply scribbling in last year's textbooks.

I'll try and find some websites and message you there are some amazing websites for Young Learners. I fear 6 years old might be just a bit too young. Having said that perhaps s/he has a bit of reading ability and good speech because s/he has a foreigner as a father.

• Like 1

I have many young students (172 right now, aged from 5 - 16 years), who learn science with me online (one-to-one).  The feedback from parents is very good, because the child is getting practice at speaking/reading English, as well as their interest in science topics.  (I also speak/write Thai!).

Learning online needs the right teacher for it to work well, (and the right student...).

Edited by simon43

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have many young students (172 right now, aged from 5 - 16 years), who learn science with me online (one-to-one).  The feedback from parents is very good, because the child is getting practice at speaking/reading English, as well as their interest in science topics.  (I also speak/write Thai!).

Learning online needs the right teacher for it to work well, (and the right student...).

How much one-to-one time can you give to 172 students?

There's only 168 hours in a week, and that's making no allowance for you to sleep.

39 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

How much one-to-one time can you give to 172 students?

There's only 168 hours in a week, and that's making no allowance for you to sleep.

Most lessons are 30 minutes long.  Some students have a lesson every day, some have 2 lessons a week, 1 lesson a week, 1 lesson a fortnight etc. 

Also, I'm only teaching one subject - science

Edit: Actually, that's 172 students from iTalki.  I have another 10 or so weekly students on another platform, and then daily science lessons for large classes at an international school in China ????

(I teach 7 days a week, because I like teaching, typically about 6 hours a day in total, with early morning lessons, then a long break, then more lessons in the afternoon and evening).

Edited by simon43

• 2 weeks later...

I did a job posting on a teacher Facebook group and the result was as predicted by some posters, not very impressive. 

12 application/post in 24 hours. Most bizarrely, but maybe understandably,  was an operation manager from a travel agency. Others were equally unqualified and not a single native speaker.

The most qualified, a youngish Burmese girl, requested 400 baht/hour.

Not a great search so far.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I did a job posting on a teacher Facebook group and the result was as predicted by some posters, not very impressive. 

12 application/post in 24 hours. Most bizarrely, but maybe understandably,  was an operation manager from a travel agency. Others were equally unqualified and not a single native speaker.

The most qualified, a youngish Burmese girl, requested 400 baht/hour.

Not a great search so far.

Are you trying to get a native English speaker? Is this because you are not home much?