BPH....Benign Prostate Hyperplasia

xylophone

I couldn't find the other thread on this, so I started a new one, however the link to the video which I have included is absolutely fabulous and covers just about every question I've ever seen asked on threads like this, and it also gives detailed explanations about the prostate, medications and procedures available, including the two new ones, Rezum and Urolift.

Presented by a very capable urologist in front of an audience and is a must watch, in my opinion, for guys who have ever been worried about problems with their prostate.

The link was kindly sent to me by a fellow prostate "sufferer"

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

Thanks Xylophone, a very useful video.  After watching the complete video, I'm happy to continue with zero medication and/or medical procedures for my own BPH - it's entirely manageable and my symptoms don't seem to have got worse over the past 10 years or so.  But at least I'm now more aware of possible treatments, should I need to go down that path in the future ????

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 7:10 AM, simon43 said:

Thanks Xylophone, a very useful video.  After watching the complete video, I'm happy to continue with zero medication and/or medical procedures for my own BPH - it's entirely manageable and my symptoms don't seem to have got worse over the past 10 years or so.  But at least I'm now more aware of possible treatments, should I need to go down that path in the future ????

Hi simon43, pleased that you liked the video and also pleased that it was useful by way of increased knowledge.

I have just added a link to another procedure which I looked at a few years ago, but couldn't find much on it, however now more research has been done and the procedure has been better evaluated, and it looks very promising indeed, especially for those folk who don't want to go down the TURP route, or where the medications don't seem to be working.

The procedure is called, "Prostatic Artery Embolisation" and it works by cutting off some of the blood supply to the prostate, thereby shrinking it, and this is done through an artery in the groin whilst you are under local anaesthetic, and it's a procedure which doesn't require a catheter or any hospital overnight stay in most cases.

Anyway for you and others who may wish to investigate it, here are some details: –

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/OurServices/Radiology-scansandimaging/PatientInformation/Prostatearteryembolisation.aspx#:~:text=PAE is a non-surgical,urethral resection of prostate) operation.

https://www.uncmedicalcenter.org/uncmc/care-treatment/urology/prostatic-artery-embolization/#:~:text=Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) is,studied in the United States.

Edited by xylophone